Garlicky bread, creamy ricotta cheese and juicy tomatoes unite to make the most delicious ricotta toast recipe, perfect for a light lunch, snack or appetizer. Topped with fresh basil and balsamic reduction, it’s one belly satisfying bite!
As we’re officially into the summer season, I always look for light meals using seasonal produce.
And when I think of summer, I think of ripe, juicy tomatoes.
Sure, you can get tomatoes year-round, but there’s nothing like tomatoes in the summer.
The grassy smell, the juicy, savoury taste.
Pile that on some creamy ricotta cheese toast? Oh yeah!
Why We Love Ricotta Toast
- Takes less than 10 minutes to prep
- Uses simple ingredients
- Makes for a light lunch, snack or appetizer
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
How to Make It
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- In a bowl combine ricotta cheese, parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Scrub a garlic clove over some toasty bread.
- Generously spread the ricotta mixture over your toast.
- Top with freshly sliced tomato, a little pinch of salt and pepper, fresh basil and drizzle with balsamic reduction. All that’s left to do is dig in!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Recipe Tips & Variations
If your slices of bread are smaller (or larger) than the ones I used, the quantity you yield may vary. Generally speaking, though, this is usually enough for two slices.
Speaking of bread, something that’s substantial and something you enjoy. Sourdough or ciabatta are great options.
Use what tomatoes are fresh! Ain’t nobody got time for mealy tomatoes. And if you’re lucky enough to get your hands on some heirloom tomatoes, use those.
Want to make these ricotta toasts a little more substantial? Add some thinly sliced cucumber.
Balsamic reduction was used, but you can simply use a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or make your own homemade balsamic reduction (from Rachel Cooks).
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
Hope you love this ricotta toast recipe as much as we do!
Did you make this tomato ricotta toast? That’s awesome! Love it if you leave a comment below.
Tomato Ricotta Toast (with basil and balsamic)
- 2 slices your favourite hearty bread (like sourdough or ciabatta) , thick cut (about ½-inch to 1-inch thick)
- 1 small clove garlic , peeled
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (plus more for tomatoes, if desired)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (plus more for tomatoes, if desired)
- 1 tomato , sliced
- balsamic reduction or vinegar (to taste. Plus, more for garnish, if desired)
- Fresh basil (garnish, to taste)
- Drizzle of olive oil (garnish, to taste)
- Toast bread and rub with cloves of garlic (you probably won't use it all).
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix ricotta cheese with parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Divide the ricotta mixture between the two slices of toasted bread.
- Top with sliced tomatoes (and a pinch of salt and pepper, if desired), along with a drizzle of balsamic reduction, fresh basil and olive oil. Enjoy!
- If your slices of bread are smaller (or larger) than the ones I used, the quantity you yield may vary. Generally speaking, though, this is usually enough for two slices.
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.