Garlicky bread, creamy ricotta cheese and juicy tomatoes unite to make the most delicious ricotta toast recipe, perfect for a light lunch, snack or appetizer. Topped with fresh basil and balsamic reduction, it’s one belly satisfying bite!
As we’re officially into the summer season, I always look for light meals using seasonal produce.
And when I think of summer, I think of ripe, juicy tomatoes.
Sure, you can get tomatoes year-round, but there’s nothing like tomatoes in the summer.
The grassy smell, the juicy, savoury taste of tomatoes just gives me all the summertime vibes!
Pile that on some creamy ricotta cheese toast? Oh yeah!
Why We Love This Ricotta Toast Recipe
- It takes minutes to prep.
- The recipe uses simple ingredients.
- Whether it’s for a light lunch, snack or appetizer, this ricotta toast hits the spot!
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
How To Make This Recipe
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Scrub a garlic clove over some toasty bread.
- Generously spread the ricotta mixture over your toast.
- Top with freshly sliced tomato, a little pinch of salt and pepper, fresh basil and drizzle with balsamic reduction.
Tips and Variations
- If your slices of bread are smaller (or larger) than the ones I used, the quantity you yield may vary. Generally speaking, though, this is usually enough for two slices.
- Use a bread that’s substantial and something you enjoy. Sourdough or ciabatta are great options.
- Use fresh tomatoes! Ain’t nobody got time for mealy tomatoes. And if you’re lucky enough to get your hands on some heirloom tomatoes, use those.
- Want to make these ricotta toasts a little more substantial? Add some thinly sliced cucumber.
- Balsamic reduction was used, but you can simply use a drizzle of balsamic vinegar if you like.
More Yummy Recipes
- Roasted Blueberry Goat Cheese Crostini
- Chanterelle Mushroom Crostini With Ricotta
- Avocado and Smoked Salmon Appetizer
If you make this tomato ricotta toast recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Tomato Ricotta Toast With Basil and Balsamic
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more for tomatoes if desired
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for tomatoes if desired
- 2 slices your favourite hearty bread (like sourdough or ciabatta), thick cut (about ½-inch to 1-inch thick)
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tomato, sliced
- balsamic reduction or vinegar, garnish to taste
- Chopped or torn fresh basil leaves, garnish to taste
- Drizzle of olive oil, garnish to taste
- In a bowl, mix ricotta cheese with parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Toast bread, then rub with the clove of garlic (you probably won't use it all).
- Divide the ricotta mixture between the two slices of toasted bread.
- Top with sliced tomatoes (and a pinch of salt and black pepper, if desired), along with a drizzle of balsamic reduction, fresh basil and olive oil. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!