Super easy and flavourful, this avocado and smoked salmon appetizer can be whipped up in under 15 minutes, which makes it perfect for weekend eats or holiday entertaining. Crispy flatbread is topped with creamy goat cheese, smoked salmon, avocado, capers and chives. Delicious!
If you follow Girl Heart Food, you know how we love easy recipes, especially bite-sized ones (I’m looking at you crostini).
Today I’m mixing things up today using flatbread. A girl’s gotta have options, am I right??
Speaking of flatbread, you may remember a little while back I shared a bbq chicken flatbread pizza with you all and I promised to share another flatbread recipe. Voilà, here it is! Like the pizza recipe, this appetizer is beyond easy!
With just a handful of simple ingredients, you could totally impress your guests and not spend, like, a bazillion hours in the kitchen.
Make this flatbread recipe (even double it, if you need), chill some vino, and maybe grab some marinated olives to with and you’re sitting pretty for one fuss free get-together.
How to Make This Avocado Smoked Salmon Appetizer
All you have to do is:
- Crisp up the flatbread in the oven
- Spread with goat cheese
- Top with remainder of ingredients & cut into pieces
- Dig in!
- Easy, right?
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Cheese To Serve With Smoked Salmon
Goat cheese is used in this flatbread recipe, but you could totally use other cheese options like:
- Cream cheese (ensure it’s softened a little so it’s easily spreadable) or
- Boursin (Kathy from Beyond the Chicken Coop has a lovely homemade boursin recipe)
And, if you’d rather skip the cheese, you could totally mash up some avocado with a pinch of salt and pepper and use that as a base instead. No need to top with avocado then, unless you really really love it.
Can I Used Bread Instead of Flatbread? What About Crackers?
Absolutely! Toast up some small pieces of bread (pumpernickel or rye work beautifully) or use your favourite crackers. Easy! Avocado and salmon toast is amazing for breakfast, by the way 😉
More Tips and Variations
I cut the flatbread into pieces after it was topped with everything. However, if you prefer, you could cut into pieces and then top. Do whatever is easiest for you.
Regular (hot) smoked salmon is what I used here. Want to switch things up? Maple glazed smoked salmon works wonderfully too. It’ll have the sweet/savoury combo goin’ on (which is awesome). If you want to make your own smoked salmon (recipe from Kevin is Cooking), that would be great too.
Because the goat cheese can eventually make the flatbread soggy after a little bit, I wouldn’t prep these in advance. It’s best made and enjoyed right away. This flatbread takes so little time to assemble, that shouldn’t be a problem anyway.
You can use thinly sliced red onion or green onion in place of chopped chives if you prefer.
Try a pinch of dried dill (or some freshly chopped dill) instead of chives.
Not into avocado? Try some thinly sliced cucumber instead.
Other Easy Appetizer Recipes you May Enjoy
- Chanterelle Mushroom Crostini – Perfectly sautéed mushrooms, ricotta, thyme and honey for one belly satisfying crostini.
- Roasted Blueberry Crostini with Whipped Goat Cheese – Jammy roasted blueberries and whipped goat cheese make the most delicious sweet and savoury bite.
- Roasted Acorn Squash Crostini – Colourful and delicious and such a fun fall appetizer.
- Christmas Crostini – Great for easy holiday entertaining.
Hope you love this smoked salmon appetizer as much as we do!
If you make this avocado and salmon appetizer, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed! Thank you!
Avocado and Smoked Salmon Appetizer (on flatbread)
- 200 gram flatbread
- ½ teaspoon olive oil , plus more for garnish (garnish optional)
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 50 grams smoked salmon , cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon chives , minced
- ½ avocado , peeled, pitted and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Brush flatbread with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake In a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 8 to 10 minutes or until browned and crisped a little. Carefully remove.
- Top flatbread with goat cheese, smoked salmon, capers, chives, avocado and black pepper. Cut into 12 pieces. Drizzle with additional olive oil if desired. Enjoy!
- I cut the flatbread into pieces after it was topped with everything. However, if you prefer, you could cut into pieces and then top. Do whatever is easiest for you.
- Regular (hot) smoked salmon is what I used here. Want to switch things up? Maple glazed smoked salmon works wonderfully too.
- Because the goat cheese can eventually make the flatbread soggy after a little bit, I wouldn’t prep these in advance. It’s best made and enjoyed right away.
- You can use thinly sliced red onion or green onion in place of chopped chives if you prefer.
- Try a pinch of dried dill (or some freshly chopped dill) instead of chives.
- Don’t have flatbread on hand? Toast up some small pieces of bread or use your favourite crackers instead!
- Not into avocado? Try some thinly sliced cucumber instead.
- Other tips and variations in body of post above.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.