This easy marinated feta recipe combines a little spice, herbs and savoury flavour from feta cheese, black olives and sun-dried tomatoes. Perfect for dunking bread, as part of a multi-course meal for entertaining or as a foodie gift for someone special!
Hubby and I enjoy charcuterie and cheese boards on the regular…maybe a couple times a month for sure.
Typically we enjoy on Friday night with a big hunk of crusty bread and some vino. Charcuterie boards are super easy to whip up, they always look nice and taste delish!
In the past we’ve often bought marinated mozzarella or these little teeny tiny marinated feta cheese packs that are not much bigger than the small dish of oil you see in this recipe.
And those are not cheap! You get a few pieces of feta cheese, a bit of oil and that’s it.
So, marinated feta? Yep, I’m making it myself to go with our charcuterie board!
I love dunking a nice bread into the oil and enjoying with a glass of wine. Oh, the simple things.
Marinated Feta Ingredients
So, for this marinated feta recipe you’ll need –
- quality olive oil
- feta cheese, cut into little cubes
- some herbage
- sun-dried tomatoes
- zest of fruit
You simply mix everything up into a jar and let the ingredients get to know each other overnight.
And, if there’s an ingredient you don’t prefer, feel free to leave out!
Best Oil to Use
Since olive oil is such a prominent component in this marinated feta recipe, I highly recommend using a quality one that you enjoy.
This is not the time to cheap out with olive oil. You want the good stuff 😉 Wait, isn’t that always, lol.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
How to Use The Cheese and Oil
- Enjoy with a charcuterie board
- Use the oil in cooking to infuse flavour
- Drizzle the oil over finished dishes, like steak or as a finisher for pasta
- Use as a dip for bread as an appetizer
- It’s delicious as a pizza finisher or even brushed on the dough before baked
- Great to include with a bunch of tapas recipes for a multi-course meal.
- Make and give as a hostess gift. This is a great collection of homemade food gifts!
More Recipe Tips
As mentioned, use a good quality olive oil! The oil is such an important component of this recipe.
Cut your feta into bite-sized cubes so it’s not only easy to eat, but you get maximum flavour absorption from the oil and herbs.
Keep this marinated feta refrigerated. When about to enjoy, remove from fridge for about 10 to 15 minutes before digging it. Olive oil tends to firm up a little in the fridge.
Ensure that you use a large enough jar for all the ingredients to fit in there and that everything is submerged. If you need to top up with a tad more oil to cover everything, that’s ok!
Don’t have the dried herbs listed? No worries! Use what you have on hand. Have just rosemary and oregano, but no thyme? Use those. Also, if you just have Herbes de Provence (a French mixture of herbs) that works wonderfully.
More Easy Recipes for Entertaining
- Baked Camembert with Berries, Thyme & Wine – Creamy baked camembert with lots of berry flavour. Delicious with crackers or bread.
- Avocado and Smoked Salmon Appetizer – Avocado with flavourful smoked salmon, onion and capers on crispy flatbread. Such an easy appetizer.
- Chanterelle Mushroom Crostini with Ricotta, Thyme and Honey – Perfectly cooked chanterelle mushrooms with creamy ricotta and sweet honey…a delicious sweet and savoury combo.
Hope you enjoy this herb marinated feta recipe as much as hubby and I do!
Until next time take care and chit chat again soon,
Make this simple marinated feta recipe? That’s awesome! Love it if you left a comment below. Many thanks!
Marinated Feta with Olives and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (roughly. You want enough to cover everything)
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 chili peppers , split lengthwise to expose seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 200 grams feta cheese , cut into cubes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (roughly 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (roughly 1/2 orange)
- 10 black olives (optional)
- 2 teaspoons capers (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes , cut into thin strips (optional)
- Place oil in a clean, large mason jar and add chili flakes, chili peppers, black peppercorn, oregano, and thyme. Stir.
- Add feta cheese, ensuring it is completely submerged in the oil. Note: if you need to add a little more oil to submerge cheese, that’s ok.
- To oil mixture add remaining ingredients. Cover and gently shake a little. Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Upon enjoying, remove from fridge for about 10 tp 15 minutes. It will harden in the fridge, but will liquefy when removed. Enjoy with bread or crackers, or use oil in a vinaigrette, over pizza and more. Note: If there are leftovers, keep stored in the fridge and enjoy within a few days.
- As mentioned, use a good quality olive oil! The oil is such an important component of this recipe.
- Cut your feta into bite-sized cubes so it’s not only easy to eat, but you get maximum flavour absorption from the oil and herbs.
- Keep this marinated feta refrigerated. When about to enjoy, remove from fridge for about 10 to 15 minutes before digging it. Olive oil tends to firm up a little in the fridge.
- Ensure that you use a large enough jar for all the ingredients to fit in there and that everything is submerged. If you need to top up with a tad more oil to cover everything, that’s ok!
- Don’t have the dried herbs listed? No worries! Use what you have on hand. Have just rosemary and oregano, but no thyme? Use those. Also, if you just have herbes de provence (a French mixture of herbs) that works wonderfully.