Looking to mix up your next grilled cheese? Well, this kimchi grilled cheese sandwich is just the thing! With flavourful kimchi, cheddar cheese and honey, it’s the perfect combination of savoury and sweet. Simply irresistible!
If you’re a fan of kimchi and of cheese, then this kimchi grilled cheese sandwich is a must try!
Is it messy? Oh yeah.
Is it totally buttery, cheesy, and indulgent? Heck yes.
Just like this grilled peanut butter and jam sandwich with cheese, it’s worth every minute on the treadmill (well, at least I think so!).
Enjoy recipes using kimchi? Check out these cheesy kimchi fries!
- Butter or margarine: Margarine is pretty much spreadable right out of the container, but if you opt for butter, ensure that it’s softened before using so you don’t tear your bread.
- Sandwich bread: Use whatever you like for your grilled cheese sandwich. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, just something fresh and tasty!
- Garlic powder: Adds a little touch of garlicky flavour that compliments the sandwich nicely.
- Kimchi: I like to use this kimchi (not sponsored, I just enjoy the product). You’ll want to make sure you drain the kimchi before using so it doesn’t add too much moisture to your grilled sandwich. Also, depending on the variety or brand you use, you may want to chop the kimchi before using just so it’s in nice bite-sized pieces.
- Cheddar cheese: I used a spicy marble cheddar cheese. You can use a regular variety if you like. For optimal melty goodness, be sure to shred your own cheese versus buying pre-shredded.
- Hot honey: I like to use this chili crunch hot honey (again, not sponsored, I just enjoy the product). You can use your favourite hot honey or even a regular variety.
What Is Kimchi?
Kimchi is a traditional Korean dish consisting of salted and fermented veggies, with cabbage being a popular choice for the main vegetable component. Depending on the ingredients used (such as variety of veggies) and the length of fermentation when making it, the overall flavour can vary but generally (because it’s fermented), it has somewhat of a sour taste (in the best kind of way!), it’s generally spicy (but that can vary as well) and it’s most definitely savoury.
Kimchi is often served as a side dish but can be used in other recipes, like fried rice or in a rice bowl (or, if you’re like me, right out of the container with a fork).
You can certainly make your own kimchi, but because of its growing popularity you can often find it in supermarkets these days (like I do) right alongside refrigerated pickles.
If you like fermented foods, like sauerkraut, and haven’t yet tried kimchi, you just may want to give it a go … it’s delicious (at least I think it is!).
How To Make a Kimchi Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Here is an overview of how to make this kimchi grilled cheese sandwich (full details are in the recipe card below):
- Place the kimchi in a frying pan to heat through, then set aside.
- Generously spread butter (or margarine) over both sides of the slices of bread, then sprinkle some garlic powder over one of the slices.
- Top the slice of bread with half of the cheddar cheese, then the kimchi, a drizzle of honey and the remaining shredded cheddar cheese. Then place the other slice of bread over top to form the sandwich.
- Grill the sandwich in a skillet until it’s golden brown and crispy on the outside and the cheese is nice and melty inside.
What To Serve With It
Tips and Variations
- Brands of kimchi can vary. Some come in larger pieces, some in smaller pieces. Also, the spice level and flavour can vary. Pick one that you enjoy best.
- For extra garlic flavour, try garlic butter instead of plain butter or margarine.
- When making grilled cheese, of course you want the cheese to get nice and melty and the exterior to get perfectly crispy and golden brown. So, ensure you monitor your heat and check on your sandwich to ensure it doesn’t burn or brown too quickly before the cheese has a chance to melt.
- This recipe, of course, can easily be doubled (which I often do).
More Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
- Pickle Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Mushroom Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese Sandwich
If you give this kimchi grilled cheese sandwich recipe a try, be sure to leave a comment below!
Kimchi Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, use enough to nicely cover your slices of bread
- 2 slices sandwich bread, use your favourite variety
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded marble cheddar cheese, I used a spicy variety
- ½ cup kimchi, drained and chopped into bite-sized pieces (if necessary)
- ½ tablespoon hot honey (honey with chili), or a regular variety
- Place the drained kimchi in a frying pan and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, to warm through and reduce some of the excess liquid, about 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- To assemble the grilled cheese sandwich: Spread butter or margarine over both sides of each slice of bread. Sprinkle garlic powder over one side of one of the slices of bread, then top with ½ cup of cheddar cheese, the kimchi, honey and the remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese. Place the remaining slice of bread over top to form the sandwich.
- Cook the grilled cheese: Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Place the sandwich in the skillet and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until it's golden brown and crispy on the outside and the cheese is melted inside (monitor your heat and adjust if necessary to ensure that the bread doesn't burn). Serve and enjoy! Note: I used a separate skillet to cook the grilled cheese. If you want to use the same frying pan that you warmed the kimchi in, just wipe it out first before using.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
© Girl Heart Food Inc. Photographs and content are copyright protected.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!