These tasty vanilla glazed donuts take only minutes to prepare and less than 10 minutes to bake. Decorate with your favourite sprinkles and you have one fun (pretty) treat!
This baked donut recipe was originally posted in May of 2018 and has been updated with more recipe details and tips.
Have you made your own donuts at home? It couldn’t be simpler!
This easy baked donuts have been on rotation in our home for quite some time (sprinkles optional but not really, if you ask me).
My life changed when I purchased a donut pan (okay, tad dramatic, but it was so worth it).
I didn’t realize how easy baked donuts were to make. And because these are baked, they are so much better than their fried counter part.
So, what’s your favourite thing to enjoy with donuts? Coffee? A cold glass of milk? I’d have to say for me it would be coffee and I gotta dunk!
And I ain’t gonna lie. If it’s, like, 9 o’clock on Saturday night I just may enjoy one of these bad boys with a glass of vino.
How to Make Donuts at Home
- Preheat your oven and grease your donut pan with baking spray. Lay to one side.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add milk, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract to flour mixture. Use a hand mixer (or a spatula) to blend everything together.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan or place the mixture into a piping bag and pipe it in (do whatever you’re comfortable with). I just spooned in. This is a great tutorial on how to make a homemade piping bag (just adjust the tip to be a bit larger for the donut batter).
- Allow donuts to cool completely before icing.
Tip: Tap the pan on a hard surface a couple of times so the batter is even and any air bubbles are released.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
All you need for a simple donut glaze is:
- Icing sugar
- Vanilla extra
Note: Gel food colouring was used (totally optional) for a pretty pink colour. I opted for ‘gel’ over liquid because it’s more potent and didn’t want to further loosen the donut glaze.
I used the tiniest bit of pink gel food colouring. That stuff is capital ‘P’ potent!!
Dip the tip of a wooden skewer into the gel pot and swirl it into the glaze until you’ve reached the desired colour that makes you happy.
If you prefer to skip the colouring, that’s okay too!
Tip: If you opt to using regular liquid food colouring, consider adding less water to the glaze.
How Long Do these Vanilla Glazed Donuts Last
Like with most baked goods, these vanilla donuts are best enjoyed when they are made because that’s when they’re at their optimal freshness.
Allow the donuts to completely cool before glazing. Otherwise, the glaze will soak into the donuts.
Speaking of glaze, when making any icing sugar glaze, a little liquid goes a long way. It’s best not to add all the water all at once, but rather a teaspoon or so at a time until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
Note: If you happen to add too much liquid and your icing sugar is too runny, no worries! Just add a little more icing sugar to thicken again.
More Baked Donut Recipes
- Blueberry Donuts with Lemon Glaze
- Coffee Donuts with Peanut Butter Chocolate Glaze
- Coconut and Lemon Donuts
Hope you enjoy this recipe!
If you make these vanilla glaze donuts, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed!
Vanilla Glazed Donuts (with simple icing sugar glaze)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour , sifted (spoon the flour in your measure cup and level off with a knife)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup milk (I used 'whole' or full fat milk)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- baking spray (for greasing pan)
- Sprinkles (garnish, to taste, optional)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or less if you want less vanilla flavour)
- 5 teaspoons water
- pink gel colouring (to desired colour, optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 6-unit donut pan with baking spray and lay to one side.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- To flour mixture, add milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Using a hand mixer, blend for a minute or two until just combined.
- Distribute donut batter into greased pan.
- Bake on middle rack of oven for 7 to 8 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean of wet batter when inserted into the donuts. Carefully remove pan from oven. Let rest 10 to 15 minutes before removing donuts from pan. Let cool completely on wire rack before icing.
- Invert donuts into glaze and distribute sprinkles over top. Place on wire rack and let glaze set for 10 minutes or so. Enjoy!
- Add icing sugar to a bowl and add vanilla and water (a teaspoon or so at a time until you've reached your desired consistency … a little water goes a long way) and gel food colouring (if using). Whisk or stir with a spoon until everything is combined and smooth. Note: If using the gel food colouring, I suggest using a tiny amount on the tip of a toothpick to swirl into icing sugar mixture (again, a little goes a long way). If you are using a LIQUID food colouring, you'll want to add a little less water so you don't thin out the glaze too much.
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.