With some simple ingredients and minutes of time, you can whip up the most delicious dessert hummus! This chocolate hummus recipe is perfect for weekend eats, a mid-afternoon treat or Valentine’s day.
Sharing another flavoured hummus recipe with you all today!
Though, this isn’t just any flavoured hummus, it’s a dessert hummus!
When one normally thinks of hummus, it’s not usually of a sweet hummus, but what a fun spin this is!
I got the inspiration for this hummus recipe from my mother, actually.
Mom is always super excited to share her ideas with me and she’s a constant source of inspiration!
She was recently at the grocery store and spotted a jar of chocolate hummus.
Upon leaving, she called me right after saying what a fun idea it would be to make a homemade version. Don’t have to twist my arm. I love hummus!
Why We Love Chocolate Hummus
- Made with just 6 simple ingredients
- Takes minutes to make
- Can be prettied up with garnish (or simply enjoyed as is)
- It’s a scrumptious treat and a fun spin on hummus
How to Make It
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Add some chickpeas, maple syrup, cocoa powder and salt to a food processor.
- Cover and process until the chickpeas have broken up.
- Slowly drizzle in some cold water while the machine is going.
- Pour into a serving dish and garnish (if desired).
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Does It Taste Like Chickpeas?
Not at all.
I mean, this chocolate hummus recipe does have a thick consistency that you would expect to find from any hummus.
The cocoa powder and maple syrup give it a rich, chocolate flavour, but it definitely isn’t a super sweet hummus, nor savoury. It’s simply delicious and makes for a fun snack.
How to Enjoy Chocolate Hummus
- Salty pretzels pair beautifully with this chocolate dessert hummus. I just love salty and sweet combos.
- Speaking of salty … thick cut potato chips.
- Spread on some crackers. Let people serve themselves or prep a bunch of crackers with this hummus (and maybe a strawberry slice and chopped mint and way to go).
- Fresh fruit! A big platter of fresh fruit is so good here.
- Use the chocolate hummus on a wrap for an easy and delicious snack. Take a flour tortilla and give it a generous spread of chocolate hummus and layer on some sliced banana. Roll up and enjoy!
More Recipe Tips
I like to peel my chickpeas before making any hummus recipe. I tend to think it gives things a creamier consistency. This take minutes to do, but you can totally save time by grabbing a friend. If you want to skip peeling, though, that’s perfectly fine.
Garnish is totally optional, but always a fun way to dress up this dessert hummus. Sliced strawberries, shaved chocolate, chocolate candy, walnuts, mint, strawberry flowers and flaky salt are all delicious options. The possibilities are endless, really!
As mentioned, this dessert hummus isn’t overly sweet. If you do enjoy things sweeter, you can sub in more maple syrup for water.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
Hope you love this dessert hummus recipe as much as we do!
If you try this chocolate hummus recipe, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to hear how you enjoyed!
Chocolate Hummus Recipe (just 6 ingredients!)
- 19 ounce can of unsalted (or no salt added) chickpeas , rinsed and drained (about 2 cups)
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1.5 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup water (or chocolate oat or almond milk for even more chocolate flavour, approximately)
Garnish Ideas (optional)
- Sliced strawberries
- Shaved chocolate
- Freshly chopped mint
- Chopped walnuts
- Flaky salt
- Peel and discard the outer skin of each chickpea by pinching between your thumb and index finger.
- To a food processor, add chickpeas, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt. Process until combined. You can stop, as necessary, to scrape the sides of the processor with a rubber spatula. At this point, it will look thick and paste-like.
- With processor going, drizzle in cold water (or chocolate oat or almond milk) until you've reached your desired consistency.Note: This hummus is not overly sweet. If you like things sweeter, you can sub some of the water with more maple syrup.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish (if desired). Delicious with pretzels, chips or fruit.Note: Enjoy immediately or store leftover hummus in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy within 3 to 4 days.
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.