With some simple ingredients and minutes of time, you can whip up the most delicious dessert hummus! This chocolate hummus recipe is perfect for weekend eats, a mid-afternoon treat or Valentine’s day.
Sharing another flavoured hummus recipe with you all today!
Though, this isn’t just any flavoured hummus, it’s a dessert hummus!
When one normally thinks of hummus, it’s not usually of a sweet hummus, but what a fun spin this is!
I got the inspiration for this hummus recipe from my mother, actually.
Mom is always super excited to share her ideas with me and she’s a constant source of inspiration!
She was recently at the grocery store and spotted a jar of chocolate hummus.
Upon leaving, she called me right after saying what a fun idea it would be to make a homemade version. Don’t have to twist my arm. I love hummus!
Why We Love Chocolate Hummus
- It’s made with just 6 simple ingredients.
- Like most hummus recipes, it takes minutes to make.
- This chocolate hummus can be prettied up with garnish (or simply enjoyed as is).
- It’s a scrumptious treat and a fun spin on hummus.
How To Make This Recipe
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Add some chickpeas, maple syrup, cocoa powder and salt to a food processor.
- Cover and process until the chickpeas have broken up.
- Slowly drizzle in some cold water while the machine is going.
- Pour into a serving dish and garnish (if desired).
Does It Taste Like Chickpeas?
Not at all.
I mean, this chocolate hummus recipe does have a thick consistency that you would expect to find from any hummus.
The cocoa powder and maple syrup give it a rich, chocolate flavour, but it definitely isn’t a super sweet hummus, nor savoury. It’s simply delicious and makes for a fun snack.
How To Enjoy Chocolate Hummus
- Salty pretzels pair beautifully with this chocolate dessert hummus. I just love salty and sweet combos.
- Thick cut potato chips are always a yummy choice.
- Spread on some crackers. Let people serve themselves or prep a bunch of crackers with this hummus (and maybe a strawberry slice and chopped mint and way to go).
- Fresh fruit! A big platter of fresh fruit is so good here.
- Use the chocolate hummus on a wrap for an easy and delicious snack. Take a flour tortilla and give it a generous spread of chocolate hummus and layer on some sliced banana. Roll up and enjoy!
Tips for Making This Recipe
- I like to peel my chickpeas before making any hummus recipe. I tend to think it gives things a creamier consistency. This take minutes to do, but you can totally save time by grabbing a friend. If you want to skip peeling, though, that’s perfectly fine.
- Garnish is totally optional, but always a fun way to dress up this dessert hummus. Sliced strawberries, shaved chocolate, chocolate candy, walnuts, mint, strawberry flowers and flaky salt are all delicious options. The possibilities are endless, really!
- As mentioned, this dessert hummus isn’t overly sweet (just a tad). If you do enjoy things sweeter, you can sub in more maple syrup for water.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
If you make this chocolate hummus recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Chocolate Hummus Recipe
- 1 (19-ounce) can no salt added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1.5 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup water , approximately (or chocolate oat or almond milk for even more chocolate flavour)
Garnish Ideas (optional)
- Sliced strawberries
- Shaved chocolate
- Chopped fresh mint leaves
- Chopped walnuts
- Flaky salt
- Peel and discard the outer skin of each chickpea by pinching between your thumb and index finger.
- To a food processor, add chickpeas, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt. Process until combined. You can stop, as necessary, to scrape the sides of the processor with a rubber spatula. At this point, it will look thick and paste-like.
- With processor going, drizzle in cold water (or chocolate oat or almond milk) until you've reached your desired consistency.Note: This hummus is not overly sweet. If you like things sweeter, you can sub some of the water with more maple syrup.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish to taste (if desired) with any of the garnish ideas. Delicious served with pretzels, chips or fruit.Note: Enjoy immediately or store leftover hummus in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy within 3 to 4 days.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!