This easy chicken taco soup recipe combines lots of chicken, black beans and vegetables for one flavourful, comforting soup that’s special enough for weekend eats and easy enough for busy weekday dinners.
Sharing another cozy soup recipe today. What can I say? I love soup! With this cold weather, it’s a necessity! It’s super hearty and hits all the right notes in the ol’ taste buds.
I know ‘taco Tuesday’ usually involves tacos, but why not mix things up a bit with a warm bowl of this taco soup this week?
I’m a wild child … not really, LOL.
Why We Love This Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
Clearly, I’m not going to share something with you guys that I don’t personally love!
Granted, there are some recipes that rev me up more than others and this taco soup is definitely up there.
This easy chicken taco soup makes for one heck of a weekday dinner or hefty lunch.
So what makes this soup so special?
- Made in one pot for easy cleanup
- Great way to use leftover cooked chicken
- Comes together in under 30 minutes
- Can be garnished to taste to make it your own
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
How to Make Baked Tortilla Chips or Strips
One of the things that I love to garnish this healthy chicken taco soup with is baked tortilla (in strip or chip form). I used strips here because that’s what I was in the mood for this particular day (just cut to the size you want).
All you have to do is:
- Cut some store bought tortillas into strips
- Place on a baking tray
- Spritz with baking spray (or brush with a little oil) and bake on 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 to 6 minutes. Watch that they don’t burn because this can happen quickly!
- Easy, right?
Garnish just when serving because they will get soggy if sitting too long in the broth.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
How to Garnish this Taco Soup
Just like tacos, the possibilities are endless here when it comes to garnish. Of course, this chicken taco soup is so flavourful, garnish is not needed and totally optional, but I love garnish! Use any one (or all) of these. You can’t go wrong!
- Baked tortilla strips (as above)
- Freshly diced tomato
- Sliced jalapeno pepper
- Chopped green onion
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Fresh lime juice
- Sprinkle of fresh oregano
- A drizzle of your fave hot sauce
If you’re looking for a side dish to this taco soup, cornbread would be lovely!
More Recipe Tips and Variations
Leftover cooked chicken helps make this chicken taco soup recipe come together in under 30 minutes. However, if you don’t have any on hand, simply roast some chicken before proceeding with this recipe. Alternatively, leftover turkey works great.
A three bean blend would work well in this soup instead of black beans.
Frozen corn was used, but fresh would work great instead.
Smoked paprika was used, but if you don’t have chipotle powder works too. If you don’t have either, a canned chipotle or two in adobo sauce (minced up) would be a great substitute. Regular sweet paprika is not the same as smoked and will not yield the same smoky flavour at all.
I used a minced Thai chili pepper as well (because I love things spicy). You can totally omit of you want or sub with ½ teaspoon or so of chili flakes or cayenne pepper powder.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
Hope you love this taco soup as much as we do!
If you make this easy chicken taco soup recipe, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed!
Easy Chicken Taco Soup Recipe (made in 30 minutes!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion , peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 Thai chili , minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced bell pepper (about 2 peppers)
- 4 ounce can diced green chilis (about a 118 millilitre can)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 13.5 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes , tomatoes roughly mashed with a potato masher to break up before using (about a 398 millilitre can)
- ¾ pound cooked chicken , roughly chopped into cubes or shredded (about 3.5 cups)
- 19 ounce can unsalted (or no salt added) black beans (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (or drained canned corn kernels or fresh corn kernels)
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat.
- Cook onion, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and chili pepper (if using), stir, and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, salt and black pepper. Cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in bell pepper and cook 1 minute. Next, stir in diced green chilis.
- Add broth, canned tomatoes, cooked chicken, and beans. Stir. Bring to a simmer. When simmering, reduce heat so it's at a medium simmer and cook 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add corn, stirring in, and cook 2 minutes. Serve and garnish, as desired (it's great with crispy tortilla strips) or enjoy as is. Yields 4 generous servings. Enjoy!
- Leftover cooked chicken (or chicken from a store-bought rotisserie chicken) helps make this soup come together in under 30 minutes. However, if you don’t have any on hand, simply roast some chicken before proceeding with this recipe.
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.