This easy chicken taco soup recipe combines lots of chicken, black beans and vegetables for one flavourful, comforting soup that’s special enough for weekend eats and easy enough for busy weekday dinners.
Sharing another cozy soup recipe today. What can I say? I love soup! With this cold weather, it’s a necessity! It’s super hearty and hits all the right notes in the ol’ taste buds.
I know “taco Tuesday” usually involves tacos, but why not mix things up a bit with a warm bowl of this taco soup this week?
Why We Love This Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
Clearly, I’m not going to share something with you guys that I don’t personally love!
Granted, there are some recipes that rev me up more than others and this taco soup is definitely up there.
This easy chicken taco soup makes for one heck of a weekday dinner or hefty lunch.
So what makes this soup so special?
- It’s made in one pot for easy cleanup.
- It’s a great way to use leftover cooked chicken.
- This soup comes together in about 30 minutes.
- It can be garnished to taste to make it your own.
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
How To Make Baked Tortilla Chips or Strips
One of the things that I love to garnish this chicken taco soup with is baked tortilla (in strip or chip form). I used strips here because that’s what I was in the mood for this particular day (just cut to the size you want).
All you have to do is:
- Cut some store bought tortillas into strips.
- Place them on a baking tray.
- Spray with cooking spray (or brush with a little cooking oil) and bake in a preheated 375 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 5 to 6 minutes. Watch that they don’t burn because this can happen quickly!
- Easy, right?
Garnish just when serving because they will get soggy if sitting too long in the broth.
Tips and Variations
- Leftover cooked chicken helps make this chicken taco soup recipe come together in about 30 minutes. However, if you don’t have any on hand, simply roast some chicken before proceeding with this recipe.
- A three bean blend would work well in this soup instead of black beans.
- Frozen corn was used, but fresh would work great instead.
- Smoked paprika was used, but if you don’t have chipotle powder works too. If you don’t have either, a canned chipotle or two in adobo sauce (minced up) would be a great substitute. Regular sweet paprika is not the same as smoked and will not yield the same smoky flavour at all.
- I used a minced Thai chili pepper as well (because I love things spicy). You can totally omit of you want or sub with ½ teaspoon or so of chili flakes or ground cayenne pepper.
How to Garnish Taco Soup
Just like tacos, the possibilities are endless here when it comes to garnish. Of course, this chicken taco soup is so flavourful, garnish is not needed and totally optional, but I love garnish! Use any one (or all) of these.
- Baked tortilla strips (as above)
- Freshly diced tomato
- Sliced jalapeno pepper
- Sliced green onion
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Fresh lime juice
- Sprinkle of fresh oregano leaves
- Chopped cilantro
- A drizzle of your favourite hot sauce
If you’re looking for a side dish to this taco soup, cornbread would be lovely!
More Easy Soup Recipes
If you make this easy chicken taco soup recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Easy Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Thai chili, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced bell pepper, about 2 peppers
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, about a 113 gram can
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, tomatoes roughly mashed with a potato masher to break up before using (a 398 millilitre can)
- ¾ pound cooked chicken, roughly chopped into cubes or shredded (about 3.5 cups)
- 1 (19-ounce) can no salt added black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, or drained canned corn kernels or fresh corn kernels
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. (I used an enameled cast-iron Dutch oven.)
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and chili pepper (if using) and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
- Stir in cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, salt and black pepper. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in bell pepper and cook for 1 minute. Next, stir in diced green chiles.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cooked chicken, and black beans. Stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat (to about medium-low heat) to a simmer. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add corn, stirring in, and cook for 2 minutes.
- To serve, divide the soup into bowls and garnish (as desired) or enjoy as is. It's great with crispy tortilla strips on top. Yields 4 generous servings. Enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!