Beer, cheese and pasta is definitely a winning combination, don’t ya think? Enter this delicious creamy baked mac and cheese recipe! This baked pasta has mozzarella, cheddar, Gouda, Parmesan and cream cheese for one creamy bite. The beer adds a subtle flavour and sweetness to the mix; it’s definitely comfort food that’s perfect on a cold day.
Hi everyone! How’s it going? Around here the weather is getting colder. I’m totally about all things comfort from my clothes (hello oversized sweaters, warm socks, and leggings) to a bazillion candles lite for ambiance to, of course, my food.
Truth be told, I’m always about comfort food (well about 99.9% of the time). The remaining 0.1% is behaving because, well, it’ll be a life-long journey in stretchy pants. Feel me?
Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese
It may look like a fair number of ingredients here but, honestly, they are all very simple pantry and fridge staples.
This recipe yields lots so it’s perfect for feeding a family, or for entertaining when you have friends over.
There’s a creamy sauce and loads of cheese for one creamy, comforting dish. Homemade mac and cheese never looked so good!
I opted to crisp up the bacon separately from the mac. Why? I didn’t want all that bacon grease spreading all over the place.
What to Serve with Mac and Cheese
Now, there’s a little matter of condiments!
It’s highly debatable on what type of condiment goes on mac and cheese. Do you enjoy yours as is? Or do you drizzle your favourite little somethin’ somethin’ (I’m looking at you ketchup and hot sauce).
Some people may shiver at the thought of ketchup with pasta, but I grew up with the stuff. These days, I don’t use ketchup for my mac, but definitely hot sauce. Dad still rocks the ketchup. You do you, am I right?
If you want to make things even more substantial, a lovely green salad pairs great with this baked mac and cheese recipe.
The only problem with this creamy baked mac and cheese is having to wait for it to cool a bit before digging in but, trust me, it’s worth the wait.
More Yummy Comfort Food Recipes
Hope you love this mac and cheese recipe as much as we do!
If you make this creamy baked mac and cheese recipe, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed! Thank you!
Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese (with 5 Cheeses)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion , peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 344 millilitre bottle of lager beer (your favourite variety)
- 3 cups milk (whole milk or 2% milk fat)
- ¼ cup cream cheese , softened and cut into small cubes
- 3.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese , divided
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1 cup gouda cheese , shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese , shredded
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ pound bacon slices (about 4 to 5 slices)
- 1 pound macaroni noodles (uncooked)
- Fresh parsley , roughly chopped (optional)
- Baking spray or butter (for greasing baking dish)
- Place milk in a small pot and keep over low heat just to warm. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta per package instructions. My pasta instructions were 5 minutes to al dente. Cook just short of that, about 1 minute less (it will finish cooking in the oven). Drain. Reserve.
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot on the stovetop over medium heat. Cook onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, paprika, mustard powder, cayenne powder, nutmeg, and pepper. Stir.
- Add butter to onion mixture and melt. Add flour and stir to combine and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add half of beer to pot, stirring until thickened slightly. Add remaining beer, stirring for a couple more minutes until thickened slightly.
- About a cup at a time, add milk to pot, stirring between each addition and letting thicken slightly. Add cream cheese and whisk until incorporated.
- Turn off heat and add 2 cups of mozzarella and all of the cheddar and gouda. Stir in cooked pasta.
- Grease baking dish (like a 9-inch x 13-inch deep baking dish) with cooking spray or grease with butter and pour mixture in. Top with bread crumbs, Parmesan and remaining 1.5 cups of mozzarella cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until top has browned slightly and mixture is bubbly.
- Carefully remove from oven and let cool 15 to 20 minutes.
- While mac and cheese is cooling, place bacon on a sheet pan (in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven) and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until crispy. Remove and drain on a brown paper towel lined plate to remove any excess grease. Crumble over mac and cheese and garnish with parsley, if using. Enjoy!
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.