Beer, cheese and pasta is definitely a winning combination, don’t ya think? Enter this delicious creamy baked mac and cheese recipe! This baked pasta has mozzarella, cheddar, Gouda, Parmesan and cream cheese for one creamy bite. The beer adds a subtle flavour and sweetness to the mix; it’s definitely comfort food that’s perfect on a cold day.
Hi everyone! How’s it going? Around here the weather is getting colder. I’m totally about all things comfort from my clothes (hello oversized sweaters, warm socks, and leggings) to a bazillion candles lite for ambiance to, of course, my food.
Truth be told, I’m always about comfort food (well about 99.9% of the time). The remaining 0.1% is behaving because, well, it’ll be a life-long journey in stretchy pants. Feel me?
Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese
It may look like a fair number of ingredients here but, honestly, they are all very simple pantry and fridge staples.
This recipe yields lots so it’s perfect for feeding a family, or for entertaining when you have friends over.
There’s a creamy sauce and loads of cheese for one creamy, comforting dish. Homemade mac and cheese never looked so good!
I opted to crisp up the bacon separately from the mac. Why? I didn’t want all that bacon grease spreading all over the place.
What To Serve With Mac and Cheese
Now, there’s a little matter of condiments!
It’s highly debatable on what type of condiment goes on mac and cheese. Do you enjoy yours as is? Or do you drizzle with your favourite condiment or sauce (I’m looking at you ketchup and hot sauce)?
Some people may shiver at the thought of ketchup with pasta, but I grew up with the stuff. These days, I don’t use ketchup for my mac, but definitely hot sauce. Dad still rocks the ketchup. You do you, am I right?
If you want to make things even more substantial, a lovely green salad pairs great with this baked mac and cheese recipe.
The only problem with this creamy baked mac and cheese is having to wait for it to cool a bit before digging in but, trust me, it’s worth the wait.
More Yummy Comfort Food Recipes
If you make this creamy baked mac and cheese recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese (With 5 Cheeses)
- Baking spray or butter, for greasing baking dish
- 3 cups milk, use whole milk or 2% milk fat
- 1 pound dried macaroni pasta (elbow macaroni)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle lager beer, use your favourite variety
- ¼ cup cream cheese, softened and cut into small cubes
- 3.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded gouda cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup unseasoned panko bread crumbs
- ¼ pound bacon, about 4 to 5 slices
- Fresh parsley, roughly chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a baking dish (like a 9-inch x 13-inch deep baking dish) with cooking spray or grease with butter and set aside.
- Place milk in a small saucepan and keep over low heat just to warm through.
- Cook macaroni pasta according to package instructions one minute short of al dente (it will finish cooking in the oven). Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot on the stovetop over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook an additional 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, paprika, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, and black pepper. Stir.
- Add butter to onion mixture and melt. Add flour and stir to combine and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add half of beer, stirring until thickened slightly. Add remaining beer, stirring for a couple more minutes until thickened slightly.
- About 1 cup at a time, add the warmed milk to the pot, stirring between each addition and letting thicken slightly. Add cream cheese and whisk until incorporated.
- Turn off heat and add 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and all of the cheddar cheese and gouda. Stir in cooked pasta.
- Pour pasta mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with bread crumbs, Parmesan and remaining 1.5 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer the mac and cheese to the preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the top has browned slightly and the mixture is bubbly.
- Carefully remove from oven and let cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While mac and cheese is cooling, place bacon on a sheet pan (in a 375 degree Fahrenheit oven) and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crispy. Remove and drain on a paper towel-lined plate to remove any excess grease.
- Crumble the crispy bacon over the mac and cheese and garnish with parsley to taste, if using. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
© Girl Heart Food Inc. Photographs and content are copyright protected.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!