One delicious side, this Harvest Wild Rice Salad is a yummy combination of a wild rice blend, sautéed kale and roasted acorn squash. The whole thing is then garnished with sweet pomegranate arils and pumpkin seeds. So much goodness packed in one recipe!
How everyone! How’s it going? After an indulgent Monday with a Five Cheese Beer Mac-n-Cheese I figured a lighter recipe was in order. All about balance, isn’t it? This one comes to you a day late (because I was completing some site layout changes), but better late than never! Plus, I kinda wanted to say hi before the upcoming weekend!
Have you ever used acorn squash in a recipe? It’s simple to prepare and what makes this one extra special is the addition of curry powder. It adds a lovely flavour and warmth to the recipe, which compliments the sweetness found in the pomegranate.
How to peel a Pomegranate
You can’t just bite into a pomegranate…well, I suppose you can, but it is definitely not recommended. The easiest way to peel a pomegranate? Cut it in half, get a bowl of water ready and invert the pomegranate into the water and press the arils out. They are not all going to pop out perfectly, but it’s the easiest (and cleanest) way, in my opinion, to get those suckers out. Usually, any of the membrane that surrounds the arils floats to the top, while they stay to the button. Easy peasy, right?
I’ve eaten this wild rice salad both warm and cold and it’s great both ways. If you want to add a little more substance to the mix, some grilled or baked chicken would work great! Or for my US friends, who have their Thanksgiving coming up, a little leftover turkey would be perfect in this recipe.
I love making this one on Sunday to have as a quick go-to side for lunch or to go with busy weekday dinners.
Hope you enjoy this Harvest Wild Rice Salad as much as I do. It’s light, nutritious and packed full of yummy flavours – just what you need before an indulgent weekend 😉
Have a wonderful weekend!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon 🙂
P.S. If you think this Harvest Wild Rice Salad will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button down below. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Fall Harvest Salad
- 1 cup wild rice blend -cooked per package instructions
- 3 cups acorn squash -cubed (or butternut squash)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil -divided
- 1/2 tsp salt -divided, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper -divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups kale -thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- Cook rice per package instructions. I used a gluten free wild rice blend.
- Meanwhile while the rice is cooking (mine took 40 minutes), roast acorn squash. To prepare squash, preheat oven to 350F. Toss squash with curry powder, 1 tbsp. of olive oil, 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, tossing halfway.
- On the stovetop on medium heat, add remaining 1/2 tbsp. of olive oil and cook garlic 1 minute. Add kale, 1/4 cup of water and remaining 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper. Cook kale about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine cooked rice, roasted acorn squash, and kale (and more salt, if desired. For my tastes, I didn't add any more). Toss to combine. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and pomegranate arils. Delicious warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!