This Asparagus Spinach Soup just looks and tastes like a big ol’ bowl of springtime goodness. It’s a light soup that has a few simple ingredients and takes minutes to make. When you have so few ingredients, they really shine through. Sometimes simple is best, don’t ya think?
The weather around here is most definitely not Spring-like…all the more reason to make asparagus and spinach soup, isn’t it? The day that I took these pictures it was actually beautiful outside, sun shining. However, aside from that, April has been yuck. It has been raining like crazy and the wind would blow ya head right off. I shouldn’t be surprised, though, as it’s often windy around here. We leave our bbq out all year round and this weekend it totally blew over from the wind. It was old by now, though, so no biggie. Surprisingly enough, we had just bought a new bbq that hubby put together this past weekend. It’s not ‘activated’ as I like to say just yet (meaning we haven’t used it). That baby better work, too, cause hubby got the box torn up into a bazillion pieces, so no return-zies. We had quite a laugh at that one the other night.
Asparagus Spinach Soup
Well, hellooooo there Spring! So happy to see you! Let’s kick it off with a big, bright bowl of asparagus spinach soup! Love using what’s in season, don’t you?
Making soup is actually one of my favourite things to make. Bit of this, bit of that and you have a meal. I went off my head (aka a little crazy) and got too excited at all the produce at Costco and bought too much. Usual. What was I thinking buying 4 lbs of asparagus? Seriously. Do you guys get like that? When you walk into the grocery store and see all the fresh fruit and veggies, all the beautiful colours, and you don’t know where to start. So inspiring!
What’s so great about this asparagus spinach soup?
- It’s made in under 30 minutes
- It’s chocked full of good-for- you ingredients with lots of vitamins & minerals, aka feel good food
- This soup is vegan and gluten free
- Most importantly – it tastes delicious!
I’m always up for having soup, especially when it’s super light, healthy and I can eat the entire pot without feeling I need to get on the treadmill for days. Know what I’m saying? Because it’s so light, it’s not that you’re gonna ‘eat a busser’ anyway (as we sometimes say here in Newfoundland), ya know eat until it hurts, lol. This is a good thing, especially since the Summer season will soon be knocking and you may want to sport that bathing suit or shorts. Honestly, though, for me fall is my jam…I love September/October weather. Not too cold that you’re freezing, but cold enough that you can wear a cute scarf and light-ish jacket and don’t even get me started on pumpkin spice everything. Anywho, sidetracked…..
Tips for Making this Asparagus Spinach Soup
- This asparagus spinach soup itself is dairy free soup (and vegan), but if you want to amp it up with some pesto or some parmesan you totally can (but don’t forget that if you use certain garnishes, the meal won’t be vegan).
- There’s some chili in here to add just a little kiss of spice. If you want more, add it or you can omit if that’s your thing.
- Don’t omit the squeeze of lemon juice…it really brightens the soup and adds a little somethin’.
- Unsalted vegetable stock was used in this recipe. That way, you can control the salt content better.
- Enjoy this soup for a nice light lunch or part of multi course meal.
Other Easy Soup Recipes you May Enjoy
- Curried Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Soup
- Spicy Lentil Soup with Kale
- Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
- or you may enjoy these 20 soup and sandwich recipes
Hopefully, the weather will turn half decently nice some time soon, otherwise I might pack everything up and move someplace warm, lol. Right now, though, I’ll gladly live vicariously through food and dreaming of white sandy beaches. Believe me, I have no problem with that ’cause girl loves to eat, or girl heart food 😉
Until next time, you guys, have a lovely week (wherever you may be) and chit chat soon 🙂
P.S. If you think this asparagus spinach soup will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that Pin button. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Asparagus & Spinach Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion -minced
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 2 pencil chili peppers -sliced (or 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper)
- 1 lb asparagus -woody ends removed, and stalks cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups vegetable stock -I used 'unsalted'
- 2 cups baby spinach -packed
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- To a pot on the stovetop on medium low heat add olive oil. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- To onion, add garlic and chili and cook 1 minute.
- Add asparagus, salt and pepper to onion mixture and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add stock to pot, bring heat to low simmer, cover and cook about 5-10 minutes until asparagus is tender.
- Add spinach to pot, along with nutmeg and cook just until wilted about 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until soup is smooth. Stir in lemon juice and serve. Enjoy!