This vegan broccoli soup is chock-full of broccoli and lots of other yummy ingredients like spinach and white kidney beans. So easy, filling and delicious!
If you’ve been following along Girl Heart Food for a little bit, you know I’m all about balance. One week I’ll share a super indulgent recipe, another maybe something more, shall I say, waist friendly. The main thing is that the recipes are easy, pretty budget friendly and delicious!
So, today I’m aiming for the healthier side of things with this vegan broccoli soup.
This broccoli spinach soup is seriously jam-packed with goodness. I debated on what to name this baby. ‘Green goddess soup’ definitely crossed my mind, but I ended up going with something simple: vegan broccoli soup. Maybe the name choice is not quite as exciting as ‘green goddess’, but the taste factor is definitely there.
We love broccoli in our home and always have a bunch in the fridge. Hubby can eat it until it comes out of his eyeballs, LOL.
Aside from this veggie packed soup, we love broccoli roasted. What’s your favourite way to prepare broccoli?
Vegan Broccoli Soup with Spinach
With just a few simple ingredients and less than 30 minutes you could be diving into a creamy bowl of this vegan broccoli soup.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the more indulgent counterpart of this broccoli soup (broccoli cheddar) and I’m pretty confident about 50% of me is made of cheese. However, most times I do prefer to enjoy healthier versions of my faves. After all, like I said, balance!
What makes this vegan broccoli soup creamy? White kidney beans! I’ve used this technique in other white bean soup and even chili and it always works out great! Beans thicken this broccoli soup substantially so there’s no need for heavy cream.
To really amp up the ‘green power’ of this soup, baby spinach comes to the party.
How to Make It
Full details on how to make this vegan broccoli soup are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Add some olive oil in a dutch oven or pot and cook onion
- Garlic is added next
- Throw in spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg and nutritional yeast
- Add broccoli, beans and stock and cook until broccoli is tender
- Blitz with an immersion blender until nice and creamy
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
- Swirl of coconut milk
- Yogurt (if opting for vegetarian, not vegan)
- Vegan shredded cheese
- Crispy chickpeas
More Recipe Tips
This soup is on the thicker side. However, if you prefer to enjoy it thinner simply add more veggie broth.
Nutritional yeast is used in this soup to add a subtle ‘cheese’ flavour, but you could omit if you prefer.
Don’t have fresh baby spinach on hand? Try frozen. Just thaw and squeeze excess moisture before adding to soup.
Cut the broccoli florets into not-too-large pieces so they cook relatively quickly.
Speaking of broccoli, only the broccoli florets were used in this soup, not the stalks. Having said that, don’t throw those away! They can be cut up or shredded and used in other dishes, like stir-fries and a spin on coleslaw.
More Yummy Veggie Soups
- Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
- Mung Bean Soup
- Zucchini Noodle Curry Coconut Soup with Grilled Tofu
Hope you enjoy this easy broccoli soup recipe as much as we do!
If you make this vegan broccoli soup, be sure to leave a comment below. Love hearing from you! Thank you!
Vegan Broccoli Soup with Spinach (under 30 minutes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 5 ounces baby spinach , chopped and loosely packed (approximately 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 7 to 8 cups broccoli florets (loosely packed (florets from about 2 medium-ish bunches))
- 19 ounce can unsalted white kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 5 cups unsalted vegetable broth (or more if you want a looser or thinner consistency)
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or pot over medium-low heat.
- Add onion to pot and cook for about 5 minutes until translucent. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg and nutritional yeast. Cook 2 minutes. Add broccoli, beans and broth.
- Bring to simmer, cover just slightly ajar and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Add more broth if you want a looser or thinner consistency. Enjoy!
- This soup is on the thicker side. However, if you prefer to enjoy it thinner simply add more veggie broth.
- Nutritional yeast is used in this soup to add a subtle ‘cheese’ flavour, but you could omit if you prefer.
- Don’t have fresh baby spinach on hand? Try frozen. Just thaw and squeeze excess moisture before adding to soup.
- Cut the broccoli florets into not-too-large pieces so they cook relatively quickly.
- Speaking of broccoli, only the broccoli florets were used in this soup, not the stalks. Having said that, don’t throw those away! They can be cut up or shredded and used in other dishes.
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.