This White Bean and Kale Soup with Crispy Chickpeas can be prepped and cooked in about 30 minutes. It’s so perfect for busy days, super satisfying, healthy, and budget friendly. White navy beans are blended up with just a touch of cream to create a smooth creamy base, chili flakes give it a hint of spice and kale is added for extra hearty flavour and nutrition. The whole lot is then topped with parmesan cheese and crispy chickpeas. How good does that sound?
Hey guys! How are you doing? For my American friends, how was your Thanksgiving? Lots of good eats, I hope! Dressings (aka stuffing is my absolute fave and I can’t wait to have more at Christmas). Our dressing is done very simply ’round here with bread crumbs, onion, garlic, salt pepper, lots and lots of butter and savoury. There’s a local farm that grows savoury and dries it and that’s a big part of our dressing. We had our thanksgiving in Canada back in October so I’m reaaaally looking forward to turkey and dressing during the holidays. We have a dinner at my parent’s Christmas day and there is no meal on earth that beats that Christmas day meal, prepared by my momma, of course 😉 I remember one year, my father tinkered with the meal and while he can cook, don’t mess with that Christmas day dinner, ya know?
All kinds of yummy food this time of year makes this girl have to work out. I don’t know if you can recall, but a while back I mentioned hubby and I were looking at getting another piece of exercise equipment, a water rower. Well, we got it! It’s so awesome to have a new piece of equipment to use and it’s a great way to mix up the exercise routine. It’s definitely something to keep me interested in working out so hopefully that’ll keep me going all through December when I’m indulging in all those sweet treats? Balance, right? And, if the occasional time balance means a cookie in one hand and a glass of wine in the other, then so be it 🙂
Regardless of the time of year, I always love recipes that can be made fast, especially during the weekdays. This White Bean and Kale Soup with Crispy Chickpeas fits the bill perfectly. The fact that it can be made so quickly often prevents me from buying store-bought soup. I love that I can control how much sodium is in there and how spicy I make it which, for me, many times, is extra spicy?!
The ingredients in this soup are probably ones you already have on hand and it makes for the perfect light lunch or dinner with a sandwich. Let’s not forget about those crispy chickpeas….I could eat those for days. Honestly, I’m lucky they even made it to the soup ’cause I ate half of them before I started taking pictures ?
The longest part of this recipe is baking the chickpeas. The rest is easy peasy! You basically just cook the onion, garlic and add the spices. Then, add stock, cream and beans and blitz it all up. I completely puree the beans, but if you want to leave some whole, that would be ok too! Kale is added at the end and cooked for just a few minutes. Then, done! Well, put the crispy chickpeas and parmesan on there, of course. Nothing to it, is there?
I’m so glad we got our water rower in time before Christmas. Over the holidays I try to maintain my exercise regime. I think it’s great for my body, but, more importantly, mentally. If I feel like I’m staying active, I feel better about myself. Are you the same way? That way, when I do have that extra bite here or there, I’m ok with it.
One thing is for certain, though, is that I’m always trying to find new ways to incorporate more fiber and greens into my diet because of the health benefits. Now, don’t get me wrong, I actually love beans, veggies and the like, but if I can make something that tastes extra good, then I’m definitely all for that and I’m sure no one would argue there 😉
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon!
P.S. If you think that this White Bean and Kale Soup with Crispy Chickpeas will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little PIN button down below. Many thanks, you guys! XO
White Bean and Kale Soup
White Bean & Kale Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion -sliced
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili flakes -or to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 5 cups vegetable stock -or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 can white kidney beans -rinsed and drained
- 2-3 cups kale -leaves removed from steam & torn into bite sized pieces
- parmesan cheese -garnish, to taste
- 1 can chickpeas -I used unsalted, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
White Bean & Kale Soup
- In a pot on medium heat add olive oil. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, chili flakes and nutmeg.
- Add stock and cream to onion mixture and bring to simmer. Add beans and cook 1-2 minutes. Off heat, use an immersion blender and carefully blend beans until smooth.
- Back on medium heat, add kale to soup and cook about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with crispy chickpeas and parmesan to taste. Enjoy!
- Ensure chickpeas are patted dry to remove excess moisture. Place them in a bowl and add remainder of ingredient and stir to combine.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake on 400F for about 30-35 minutes, stirring around halfway through. Watch them as it gets closer to the 30 minute mark, as they can burn quickly. They are done when they are golden in colour and crispy.