These easy Skillet Meatballs are bursting to the seams with savoury flavour! They’re gently sautéed in a cast iron skillet to get a little colour and caramelly flavour. Then, they’re finished in the oven with a super easy tomato sauce – delicious on their own, in pasta or even on a sandwich!
Hi there! How was your weekend? We had abnormally warm temperatures. It rained and we lost all our snow. For one a moment, I was thinking we were into spring. A girl can dream! Have you started any new shows lately? Do tell! You know I always love suggestions. We’re in the middle of watching The Punisher on Netflix. It’s based on a Marvel comic and I have been a fan of similar shows. It’s been out for a little while but, boy, am I glad we started it. There’s tons of action! Have you seen this one?
Easy Homemade Meatballs
Ok, so onto these skillet meatballs! These are made with simple items that you probably have on hand in your fridge and pantry. Garlic, onion powder, chili flakes and oregano give a good punch of flavour and the breadcrumbs soaked in milk lend some moisture.
The Secret to the Best Homemade Meatballs
The key to making meatballs is don’t handle them too much. I mean, form them but don’t overly handle them. Gently fry them in a skillet to get a little crust and colour. These meatballs actually finish cooking in the skillet right in the sauce. As they cook, they infuse flavour into the sauce and vice versa. Hungry yet?
Size matters. These are not your average meatballs! I made ’em a little bit on the larger size (a small scoop, which is a little more generous than a tablespoon) because they do shrink down a little when cooked. What you are left with is one delicious meatball and I’m pretty confident that you’re going to make again and again! With all the game day festivities coming up, they’re bound to make it to your table more than once. Though, admittedly, I do not watch the sports. I will, however, happily sit with you (or more likely alongside the food) and munch away 😉
The Secret to the Best Tomato Sauce
Like, these skillet meatballs the sauce is easy peasy. Want to know a secret tip for a whole lotta flavour? Add parmesan rind in the tomato sauce as it cooks. Don’t throw that stuff away!!! It seriously infuses flavour into the sauce and once you do it, there’s no going back. Plus, you’re getting more bang for your buck when you buy that parmesan. What’s not to love?
Of course, no meatball would be complete without some parm on top. Garnish these beauties with a generous amount and eat up!
Look how packed with flavour they are! Plus, they are juicy and just plain delish! What’s your favourite way to enjoy meatballs?
Looking for more Italian Comfort Food Recipes? Check These out!
Hope you enjoy these skillet meatballs as much as we do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon 🙂
P.S. If you missed my last recipe, you can check it out here.
P.P.S. If you think these skillet meatballs with simple tomato sauce will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button. Many thanks, you guys! XO
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1.5 lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley -roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan -grated on small hole on box grater
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
Simple Tomato Sauce
- 1 can whole san marzano tomatoes -28 oz or 828 ml can
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- small rind of parmesan cheese -about 2-3 inch, optional
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- parmesan cheese -to taste
- fresh basil -to taste
- In a small bowl combine bread crumbs and milk. Lay to one side.
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, salt, black pepper, chili flakes, oregano, garlic, onion powder, parsley, parmesan and reserved bread crumb/milk mixture. Stir with hands to combine. Form into balls (I used a small scoop) and used 2 scoops per ball (about 1 generous tbsp. of meat). Place on wax paper lined baking sheet.
- In a 10 inch cast iron skillet on medium high heat add 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Working in two batches (6 balls per batch) gently brown meatballs about 2 minutes per side (4 minutes total). Note - they are not cooked at this point, just browned a little on the outside. Remove batch from cast iron pan and continue with second batch.
- Drain any excess grease. Add all meatballs to pan and top with tomato sauce mixture. Bake in 375 F oven for 30 minutes. Garnish with more parmesan cheese and basil. Enjoy as is, with pasta or on a sandwich!
Simple Tomato Sauce
- In a bowl combine san marzano tomatoes with tomato paste, sugar, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine. Pour over meatballs. Place parmesan rind (if using) in tomato sauce.
- After 30 minutes, remove parmesan rind and stir in balsamic vinegar.