This easy Chicken and Sausage Recipe combines hearty chicken thighs, Italian sausage and loads of bell pepper. It’s all cooked in an easy red sauce for one comforting meal your family will love.
Chicken and Sausage Recipe
This, my friends, is the ultimate comfort food! So so delicious! This comfort food classic is easy to make and can be easily doubled if you are having a bunch of friends or family over. Italian sausage and peppers is such a popular dish and I’ve amped this one up a bit by adding chicken and some baby potatoes and mushrooms to the mix.
So, how do you make this chicken and sausage recipe, anyway? It’s easy –
- Roast the baby potatoes
- Meanwhile, cook the chicken and sausage and then lay to one side (you are simply browning, not fully cooking at this point).
- Cook onion & garlic.
- Deglaze pan with wine.
- Add peppers, mushrooms, cooked potatoes and spices and cook a bit
- The chicken and sausage go back to the pan along with tomato sauce
- Finish with balsamic vinegar
Basically, after a bit of prep, you kinda just put the cover on the pan and let the magic happen for about 30 minutes. Before you’ve had a chance to finish a glass of wine, supper is ready. Can’t get much easier than that and the taste payoff is unreal. The ingredients themselves are quite simple and probably stuff that you already have on hand anyways. Hey, the dish is practically already made and you haven’t even started, lol!!
Tips for Making this Chicken and Sausage Recipe
- I used bone-in, skinless thighs in this recipe because they can easily withstand the cooking time without drying out. I left the thighs whole (and removed the skin), but you can also use boneless thighs that are cut into chunks if you prefer.
- Same goes with the Italian sausage – I left the whole, but you could cut into bite-sized chunks
- The baby potatoes are not mandatory in this recipe, but I feel they add an extra level of heartiness. If you rather skip those, that’s a-ok too.
- I served this with creamy polenta, but it’s delicious all by itself. Serving with a light side salad would work lovely too.
Other Easy Comfort Food Recipes you May Enjoy
Hope you love this easy chicken and sausage recipe as much as I do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon 🙂
Chicken, Sausage & Peppers in Hearty Tomato Sauce
- 12 baby potatoes -I left skin on
- 3/4 tsp salt -divided
- 3/4 tsp black pepper -divided
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil -divided
- 4 chicken thighs -bone-in, skin removed
- 4 Italian sausage
- 1 onion -thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic -minced
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 bell peppers -sliced into strips
- 2 cups mushrooms -sliced
- 1.5 tsp herb de provence -or mixture of your fave herbs, like thyme, rosemary and oregano
- 1 tsp chili flakes -or to taste
- 796 ml bottle of tomato sauce - or can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp parsley -chopped, garnish
- 1.5 tbsp parmesan cheese -grated, garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F. Season baby potatoes with 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper and 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Cook in a cast iron pan for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season chicken thighs with 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil on medium low on a large sauté pan. Brown chicken and sausage for 5 minutes on each side for 10 minutes total. Remove from pan and place on plate for use shortly.
- Remove any excess oil from pan. Add 1/2 tbsp. of olive oil. Cook onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Deglaze with wine and cook until wine reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add peppers, mushrooms, cooked potatoes, herbs, chili flakes, 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Place reserved chicken and sausage (and any juices) on top of pepper mixture.
- Add tomato sauce, cover, and cook on low for about 30 minutes, stirring halfway so sauce doesn't stick to bottom of pan.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve each person a sausage, a thigh and some peppers/sauce over creamy polenta or grits. Garnish with parsley and parmesan. Enjoy!