Tender, perfectly roasted beets are combined with plenty of garlic, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and salty crumbled feta cheese. This easy, yet impressive, veggie side dish is a delicious way to use beetroot.
It’s getting that time of year again when beets are harvested. And, lucky me, my parents grew a bunch!
Roasted root veggies are one of my absolute favourite sides. Beets are earthy, savoury and just so pretty with their vibrant hue. Plus, they require very little fuss to prepare, and the oven does most of the work (not to mention, they taste amazing as they roast up). I can (and have) eaten them straight from the sheet pan. Do you do that too?
How To Make Roasted Beets With Feta
Here is an overview of how to make roasted beets with feta (full details are in the recipe card below):
- In a small bowl, mix together balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and garlic, then set that aside for use shortly. Then place chunks of beets in another bowl and toss them with avocado oil, salt, black pepper and thyme.
- Spread the beets out in a single layer onto a parchment paper-lined sheet pan and roast, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Once the beets are tender, pour over the reserved balsamic vinegar mixture and roast the beets for just a tad more until the garlic is nice and fragrant.
- Sprinkle over some crumbled feta and serve.
How To Serve Them
Of course, the roasted beets are delicious on their own, served warm, with a main (which is mostly how I serve them). Beets pair beautifully with roasted chicken for a comforting Sunday supper.
Alternatively, you could allow the beets to cool slightly and serve with grain bowls or salad greens. Roasted beet salad with feta is one of my favourite lunchtime meals, especially in the fall months. If enjoying the beets with a salad, I really love pairing them with baby arugula, but you could use your favourite green leafy vegetable.
Storing Leftover Beets
If you find yourself with leftovers (or are simply doing a bit of meal prep), properly store the roasted beets in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days. You can then serve them cold or warm them up — whatever you prefer!
Tips and Variations
- Cut the beets into roughly equal-sized chunks so they cook evenly.
- The feta will stain from the beets. I mean, no big deal, but if you want to wait and just top the beets with the feta after they’re in a serving dish, go for it.
- Change up the herb by using tarragon instead of thyme. Such a yummy twist.
- If you want to add more colour and flavour, try garnishing the roasted beets with chopped chives or parsley to taste.
- Speaking of garnish, for added texture, top the cooked beets with some chopped walnuts.
- Mix up the cheese! Instead of enjoying the roasted beetroot with feta, try goat cheese. Roasted beets with goat cheese are equally as delicious, if you ask me!
More Yummy Veggie Sides
If you make this recipe for oven roasted beets with feta, be sure to leave a comment below!
Roasted Beets With Feta
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds beets, cleaned, peeled, trimmed of greens and cut into chunks or wedges, about 1.5 inches each
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme leaves, or 2 teaspoons of dried thyme (plus more for optional garnish)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degree Fahrenheit. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and garlic. Set aside.
- Place beet chunks into a medium mixing bowl with avocado oil, salt, pepper and thyme, then toss or stir to combine everything.
- Spread the beets out in a single layer onto the prepared sheet pan.
- Roast the beets for 30 to 35 minutes or until they're tender and cooked through, stirring halfway through cooking.Note: Time may vary, depending on the size of your chunks.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven, pour over the reserved balsamic vinegar mixture and stir until the beets are nicely coated. Return the sheet pan back to the oven and continue to roast the beets for another 5 minutes just until the garlic is fragrant (don't overcook because the garlic will burn).
- Once the beets are done and out of the oven, sprinkle over crumbled feta cheese and a little more thyme.Note: It's pretty much inevitable that the beets will colour the feta cheese (no big deal, really). However, if you want to minimize this, you can add the feta cheese after it's been placed in a serving dish.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish, if desired, with more fresh thyme. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
© Girl Heart Food Inc. Photographs and content are copyright protected.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!