This hearty Mediterranean Lentil Salad recipe comes together in about 10 minutes so couldn’t be easier for meal prep for the week ahead! It’s made with some pantry staples, like canned lentils and canned tuna. Plus, there are a few extra special ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, black olives, feta and bell pepper. It’s all tossed with a simple olive oil and lemon mixture for one delicious bite!
Hey guys! How was your weekend? We had the fam jam into our home for a Father’s day bbq. Luckily, the weather was decent and we were able to grill outside. Newfoundland weather is not all that predictable so if I’m planning anything that’s weather dependent (like grilling) it’s kinda like a shot in the dark. Today I’m bringing you this ultra easy, super tasty lentil salad recipe. Who knew that a recipe using canned lentils and canned tuna could be so freakin’ tasty?!
What Goes in this Mediterranean Salad Recipe?
This lentil salad came to me one day while trying to rack my brain on what to make hubby and I for lunch. It’s always nice to mix things up a bit from the regular routine so this is how this lentil salad was born. I grabbed a couple of pantry staples, fancied it up a bit with some special ingredients and voilà – a tasty, easy salad was born! Now it’s on regular rotation in our home.
So, this canned lentil recipe has –
- Canned lentils (of course)
- Canned tuna
- Bell pepper (or you could used roasted red pepper). I like the fresh pepper for crunch!
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Olives (pitted)
- Lemon juice
- Good quality olive oil
Tips & Variations for Making this Lentil Salad
- Using canned lentils makes this Mediterranean salad recipe come together in about 10 minutes. Don’t have or don’t want to use canned lentils? You can easily cook up some dried brown lentils, rinse, drain, cool and then proceed with the recipe.
- I used two red Thai chilies in this recipe, but you can use more or less depending on your love of spice (though, I didn’t find this salad too spicy). Don’t have fresh chili? Try a pinch or two of cayenne.
- I used red bell pepper because I loved the colour that it added. Don’t have red bell pepper? Use whatever colour you have on hand.
- Speaking of bell pepper, I have also made this recipe with roasted peppers (which is awesome). However, I prefer fresh bell pepper for the crunch it adds to the salad.
- I do not add any salt to this salad. For me, the briny capers, feta and olives are salty enough.
- Want to make this lentil salad vegetarian? Omit the tuna. It will still taste lovely!
- If you do omit the tuna, this lentil salad is delicious as a side for chicken too.
- This salad yields enough for 4 hearty side servings. The recipe can easily be doubled for a crowd.
- I used sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil. I think they work best in this lentil salad.
- Want this lentil salad dairy free? Omit the feta and it will still taste delish!
Can I Make this Mediterranean Salad Ahead of Time? How Long Does It Last?
Totally! This recipe can be made a day ahead, properly stored in the fridge, and still taste delicious the next day.
Enjoy within 3 days.
Why is this Lentil Salad Recipe so Great?
- This lentil salad comes together in about 10 minutes.
- Absolutely jam packed with fibre and vitamins from hearty lentils.
- Cooking for a crowd? It can be easily doubled or tripled.
- Meal prep? It’s great for that!
- Relatively budget friendly, while being ‘special’ at the same time.
- It tastes just as good the next day as it does the day of being made.
- Lunch, side to dinner, potluck or backyard bbq – this lentil salad recipe works wonderfully in any situation.
Other Lentil Recipes you may Enjoy –
So,tell me, what kind of canned lentil recipes do you like? Hope you love this lentil salad recipe as much as we do in our home!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon!
P.S. If you think this recipe for lentil salad will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button down below. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Mediterranean Lentil Salad with Tuna
- 1 19 oz can lentils -rinsed and drained
- 1 170 gram can tuna -drained (I used tuna packed in water)
- 1/3 cup black olives -pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomato -roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper -diced
- 3 tbsp feta cheese -crumbled
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley -roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 Thai chili peppers -minced (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp shallot -minced, or 2 stalks of green onion
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil -I used Pomora Olio Nuovo
- 1 lemon -juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients down to capers.
- Mix shallot with olive oil and lemon. Pour over bowl of ingredients. Stir to combine. Enjoy!