This spicy lentil kale soup is a hearty, delicious and pretty budget friendly. Made in one pot for easy cleanup, it’s like a little bowl of goodness for your tummy!
This lentil kale soup was originally posted in July 2015, but has been updated.
This soup was made for Monday. Monday gets a bad rap sometimes but think about it, if there wasn’t a Monday, then Friday wouldn’t be so special. Monday is taking one for the team. And if Monday wasn’t a thing, would Tuesday be the new Monday? This is too much for today.
This spicy lentil soup is totally on the healthier side so it helps wipe away any weekend indulgences … that’s what I tell myself at least.
Totally ate too much this past weekend. Fries? Yes, please! Bacon & eggs? Sure! You had that extra glass of wine. Why not?
You had a busy week. You don’t even want to look at those skinny jeans Monday morning; it’s not gonna happen. No worries, fill yourself with this goodness, and get yourself set for an awesome week!
In my opinion, it’s all about balance. If you can’t indulge every once it a while (especially on the weekend), then that’s no fun at all. A little indulgence here, a little healthier there. Nothing complicated, just like this lentil and kale soup.
Why We Love Spicy Lentil Kale Soup
- Firstly, it tastes delicious!
- Loaded with veggies, like kale, which adds flavour and heartiness
- It’s pretty budget friendly with simple pantry staples, like red lentils
- Uses ingredients that you probably already have on hand
- It’s made in one pot for easy cleanup
I don’t know about you, but I could eat soup all year long, even in the summer. And it’s weird because I like to say I run hot. Like, I’m usually always warm. But, offered a bowl of comforting soup and I’m all in!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Cut your celery and carrots into smaller pieces, about ¼-inch thick. If they are too thick, they will take too long to cook, making this recipe longer to prepare and ain’t nobody got time for that.
Use a good quality can of tomatoes, preferably whole San Marzano tomatoes (squish them with your hands or blend them with an immersion blender before adding to the pot).
Make sure you ‘pick over’ and rinse your lentils before using to check for rocks, stones, foreign bits or imperfect lentils. Discard those. They have no place in soup.
To keep this a vegan lentil soup, omit the Parmesan cheese.
Delicious with a grilled cheese sandwich.
More Yummy Veggie Soups
- Zucchini Noodle Curry Coconut Soup with Grilled Tofu
- Asparagus Spinach Soup
- Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
- White Bean and Kale Soup with Crispy Chickpeas
- Easy Mushroom Soup
Hope you love this spicy lentil soup as much as we do!
If you make this spicy lentil soup, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed!
Spicy Lentil Soup with Kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 to 2 red Thai chili peppers , minced (or to taste)
- 2 carrots , peeled and sliced about ¼-inch thick
- 2 stalks celery , sliced about ¼-inch thick
- ¾ teaspoon dried herbs (mixture of oregano & thyme)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes (blend tomatoes with an immersion blender or roughly mash with a potato masher to break up before using)
- ½ cup dried red lentils , picked over (remove and discard any rocks, foreign objects and imperfect lentils), rinsed and drained
- 6 cups chopped kale (bite-size pieces, leaves only, no stems)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- Parmesan cheese , grated (garnish, optional)
- Heat olive oil in a 5 to 6 quart Dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic & chili peppers and cook about 1 minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Next, add carrots, celery, herbs, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, can of tomatoes & lentils. Stir, bring to a medium simmer, and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Next, stir in kale and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar.
- Serve and garnish with parmesan cheese (if using). Enjoy!
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.