This spicy lentil soup with kale is a hearty, delicious and budget friendly lentil soup recipe. Plus, it’s made in one pot for easy clean up! It’s like a little bowl of goodness for your tummy.
This Spicy Lentil Soup with Kale recipe was originally posted in July 2015, but has been updated.
This soup was made for Monday. Monday gets a bad rap sometimes but think about it, if there wasn’t a Monday, then Friday wouldn’t be so special. Monday is taking one for the team. And if Monday wasn’t a thing, would Tuesday be the new Monday? This is too much for today…..
This one pot spicy lentil soup is totally on the healthier side so it helps wipe away any weekend indulgences…that’s what I tell myself at least. Totally ate too much this past weekend. Fries? Yes, please! Bacon & eggs? Sure! You had that extra glass of wine. Why not? You had a busy week. You don’t even want to look at those skinny jeans Monday morning; it’s not gonna happen. No worries, fill yourself with this goodness, and you’ll be feeling better in no time!
Ingredients for Spicy Lentil Soup with Kale
Don’t you just love recipes that call for ingredients that you probably already have stocked? Me too! This one has a few basic ingredients like canned tomatoes, stock, carrots, lentils and kale. It can be prepared super quickly or even made in advance when doing meal prep for the week ahead.
Why is this Spicy Lentil Soup So Good?
- Firstly, it tastes DELICIOUS!
- It’s loaded with veggies like kale which is low fat, low calorie, and adds a heartiness to the soup.
- It has red lentils, that have fibre, protein vitamins and iron.
- It’s budget friendly with simple pantry staples like red lentils which are super inexpensive.
- It’s made in ONE POT for easy clean up.
I don’t know about you, but I could eat soup all year long, even in the summer. And it’s weird because I like to say I run hot. Like, I’m usually always warm. But, offered a bowl of comforting soup and I’m all in!
Tips for Making this Easy Lentil Soup
- Cut your celery and carrots into smaller pieces, like 1/4 inch thick. If they are too thick, they will take too long to cook, making this recipe longer to prepare and ain’t nobody got time for that.
- Use a good quality can of tomatoes, preferably whole San Marzano tomatoes (squish them with your hands or blitz them with an immersion blender before adding to the pot).
- I always love to use unsalted stock when possible and then I can control the seasoning more.
- Make sure you ‘pick over’ and rinse your lentils before using to check for rocks/stones. Discard those. They have no place in soup.
In my opinion, it’s all about balance. If you can’t indulge every once it a while (especially on the weekend), then that’s no fun at all. A little indulgence here, a little healthier there. Nothing complicated, just like this soup 😉
So, put your best foot forward & worry about those skinny jeans in a couple of days. You got this! It’s going to be an AWESOME week 🙂
More Delicious Recipes like this Lentil and Kale Soup –
- Zucchini Noodle Curry Coconut Soup with Grilled Tofu
- Asparagus Spinach Soup
- Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
- White Bean and Kale Soup with Crispy Chickpeas
- Easy Mushroom Soup
Hope you love this spicy lentil soup as much as we do in our home! If you give this one a try, be sure to let me know how you like it in the comments below.
Don’t forget to subscribe below to stay in the loop with all the latest recipes.
P.S. If you think this spicy lentil soup will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Spicy Lentil Soup with Kale
This spicy lentil soup with kale is a hearty, delicious and budget friendly lentil soup recipe. Plus, it's made in one pot for easy clean up! It's like a little bowl of goodness for your tummy.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion -chopped
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 1-2 red thai chili peppers -minced (or to taste)
- 2 carrots -chopped, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery -chopped, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3/4 tsp dried herbs -mixture of oregano & thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 796 ml can whole tomatoes -blitzed with immersion blender
- 1/2 cup red lentils -rinsed & picked over
- 6 cups kale -leaves removed from steams & chopped int bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar -or apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese -grated (garnish, optional)
In a 5-6 quart dutch oven on medium heat add olive oil and sauté onion for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
Add garlic & chili peppers and cook about 1 minute.
Next, add carrots, celery, herbs, salt and pepper and cook about 5 minutes.
Add stock, can of tomatoes & lentils, bring to a medium simmer and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Next, add kale and cook for about 5-8 minutes.
Stir in balsamic vinegar.
- Portion and garnish with parmesan cheese, if using. Enjoy!