This curried carrot soup is chock-full of goodness from plenty of carrots, sweet potato and creamy coconut milk. Comforting and delicious, this vegetable soup recipe will warm ya right up on a cold day!
What’s up? Did my fellow Canadians have a nice Thanksgiving? The next big thing for us is Halloween. How do you feel about Halloween?
It’s lovely seeing all the kiddos in their costumes. However, when that doorbell rings it drives fur baby absolutely bonkers; therefore, it drives me bonkers.
I could put some treats in a bowl with a note saying “take me,” but we all know that would never work. And I always tell myself lies around Halloween, like “Dawn, you’re being so productive buying these treats early.”
Reality? I buy them early and eat most of it before October 31st and then have to buy more. Every year. You too?
Anyway, onto this easy carrot soup, shall we?
Do you know that this curried carrot and sweet potato soup was the very first recipe I ever posted on Girl Heart Food? It was July of 2015. Where does the time go?
I decided to redo the recipe with a couple minor tweaks and retake the pics. Plus, I tweaked the recipe the tiniest bit. I removed the butter and honey, for example, and used coconut oil instead of olive oil to give it a little more coconut oomph.
Plus, the lemon at the end? Just completely brightens the whole dish up!
How To Make This Curried Carrot Soup
Like most of the soups you’ll find here, this creamy carrot soup recipe is pretty easy to prepare. Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Cook onions for a bit in coconut oil with a touch of salt and pepper.
- Add aromatics, like garlic and ginger, chili flakes and curry paste.
- Next goes vegetables, broth and coconut milk .
- After veggies have softened, blend with an immersion blender.
Stir in a touch of lemon juice to brighten (I highly recommend this). So good!
- Garnish and enjoy!
Soup Garnish Ideas
You know I love me some garnish! For the finishing touch, I reserved about a tablespoon or so of coconut milk and made a pretty little design on top (totally optional, of course).
After you have the soup portioned, using a spoon, drop a few droplets of coconut milk on top of the soup. Then, using a wooden skewer or wooden toothpick, gently drag through the coconut milk to create a little design.
Other delicious garnishes are:
- Thinly sliced chili pepper
- Chopped cilantro
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Crispy chickpeas
What To Serve With This Soup
- Hunk of crusty bread
- Mixed green salad
- A simple sandwich, like a grilled cheese, tomato or curried chickpea salad sandwich
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup
- Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Leek Soup with Cheddar
- Broccoli Soup With Spinach
If you make this curried carrot and sweet potato soup, be sure to leave a comment below!
This creamy carrot soup recipe was originally published in July 2015 but has been updated.
Curried Carrot Soup With Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced (about a thumb-sized piece)
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste or curry powder
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into small slices about ¼-inch thick
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk, a 400 millilitre can (reserve about a tablespoon for garnish if you like)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Chopped cilantro, garnish to taste (optional)
- Sliced chili pepper, garnish to taste (optional)
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- Once coconut oil is melted, add onion, salt and black pepper and cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add chili flakes and curry paste, stirring to combine and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add carrots, sweet potato and vegetable broth. Stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat (to about medium-low heat) to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk (reserving about 1 tablespoon, if desired for garnish). Cook, covered, for an additional 10 minutes or until carrot and sweet potato are fork-tender. Turn off heat.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup until smooth. Stir in lemon juice. Note: If you want a looser or thinner consistency, add a little more vegetable broth and heat through.
- To serve, divide the soup into bowls and garnish (if desired) with reserved coconut milk, cilantro and chili pepper. Enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!