This creamy parsnip and apple soup is a delicious one pot recipe with minimal ingredients, but loads of flavour! Garnished with fresh chives, it makes for one delicious lunch or side to dinner.
This parsnip and apple soup recipe was original posted in July 2015 and has been updated with new photos and recipe details.
This parsnip and apple soup is quite unique and really parsnip forward. I don’t mean ‘forward’ like this is some kinda hip recipe. I’m definitely not that cool.
What I mean is this parsnip apple soup is really ‘parsnipy’ (is that even a word??), you do get a little sweetness and tartness from the Granny Smith apples.
It’s kinda unassuming.
At first, you think may think ‘oh, that’s pretty simple … a little root vegetables and some apple.’
And it is simple, but then you taste it, you realize just how delicious it is. Parsnip soup with apple is where it’s at!
Why This Parsnip Apple Soup is Great!
- Made with only 10 ingredients that you probably already have on hand in your pantry and fridge
- Comes together in about 30 minutes
- Made in one pot for easy cleanup
- Of course, it taste delicious!
Fan of parsnip recipes? You may enjoy this mashed parsnip!
What Does Parsnip Taste Like? How to Cook Parsnips?
Parsnip looks quite similar to carrots. However, they have a distinct flavour, kinda grassy. When you eat parsnip, you know it. They’re a little sweeter than carrots, but can be cooked much in the same way you would cook carrots.
For cooking parsnips you can:
- Roast or bake (which really intensifies their flavour)
- Boil them (super popular around here, especially with a traditional Newfoundland dish called Jigg’s Dinner)
- Steam ’em or
- Fry (I’ve had parsnip chips and they’re so good).
They can be enjoyed as is or made into a puree or soup, like this parsnip soup recipe.
How to Make This Soup
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Cook onion until softened. Add garlic.
- Add parsnips, apples, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until parsnips and apples have softened.
- Blend with immersion blender.
- Add cream and blend again.
- Easy, right?
Best Cooking Apple to Use
For this creamy parsnip apple soup, I opt for Granny Smith apples. I love their tartness and they pair beautifully with the sweet parsnip. Don’t have those? Sub with Pink Lady or Braeburn.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
- Fresh chives or green onion
- Little drizzle of heavy cream swirled over top
- Crumbled goat cheese
- Homemade croutons
- Drizzle of olive oil (garlic olive oil is lovely)
More Recipe Tips
Heavy cream is used, but if you like to lighten things up an equal amount of whole milk Greek yogurt could be used instead.
White pepper is used in this parsnip soup, but if you don’t have that on hand, regular black pepper would work too.
Cut the parsnip into small-ish chunks so they cook quickly. This recipe comes together in under 30 minutes!
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Roasted Cauliflower Leek Soup with Cheddar
- Vegan Broccoli Soup with Spinach
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato with Fennel Soup
- Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
Hope you love this parsnip soup recipe as much as we do!
If you make this parsnip apple soup, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed!
Creamy Parsnip and Apple Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 pound parsnips , peeled & cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 3 Granny Smith apples , peeled, cored & cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream (also known as 'whipping cream', 35% milk fat)
- Chives , finely chopped (garnish, optional)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat.
- Cook onion, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, stir in, and cook one minute.
- Add parsnips, apples, thyme, salt & white pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add broth, bring to a simmer, reduce heat, cover ajar & cook for about 15 minutes until parsnip & apple are tender.
- Off heat, blend with immersion blender until smooth. Add cream and blend again. Serve and garnish, if desired, with chives and a little swirl of cream. Enjoy!Note: You can heat through again (after you've added the cream, if needed).
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.