This easy pasta bake recipe combines the hearty flavours of chili with pasta and cheese. It’s a delicious combination of comfort food favourites and you’ll want to make this chili pasta bake again and again!
Hello! How’s it going? I know many of you living elsewhere are basking in the delightful weather that is spring.
Around here, just this past few days, we’ve had a tremendous amount of rain and more snow.
So, while many of you may have spring-time food on the brain and grilling things up, I’m still sitting here freezing my buns off and face planting into all the comfort food humanly possible.
Aside from this chili pasta bake, hubby did most of the cooking this past weekend. I got to sit back and watch the magic happen. There was one point where I was sprawled across two chairs, sitting at the kitchen island, painting my nails and drinking wine while watching him. A girl could get used to that, ya know. Who agrees? I’ll just assume you all nodded in approval.
So, wanting to make myself half useful this weekend I did cook a little; I made this recipe because I couldn’t decide what to have for dinner. Do I want pasta? Do I want chili? So, chili pasta bake it is!
I’ve been meaning to share this recipe with you all for a while. Every time I would make it, I would dig into it before I would have a chance to take any pics. My bad. But better late than never, I say!
How To Make This Chili Pasta Bake
What I absolutely love about this dish (besides the fact that it tastes amazing), is that everything is made in the one pot, meaning no fuss and only one dish to clean. And if you are like me, one million spoons (ha!).
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- In a pan, cook onions and garlic.
- Add ground beef, pork, spices and cook.
- Stir in tomato paste. Add tomatoes, beans, corn, bell pepper, salsa, broth, sour cream, pasta and some cheese. Stir in.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake until bubbling and brown.
Pretty easy, right? While that goodness is baking away and making your home smell delicious, you can sit back, have a drink and just get ready for the compliments your family will give you for making them this. Maybe then, they’ll wash the dishes. Sounds fair, doesn’t it?
- A good dollop of yogurt or sour cream
- Slices of avocado
- Chili pepper
- Green Onion
More Easy One Pot Recipes
This would also be perfect for a get together if you are watching a game or something. Such a nice change up from chili!
If you try this baked pasta recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Chili Pasta Bake Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 roma tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup no salt added canned black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 bell pepper, chopped into small dice
- 2.5 cups salsa
- 1.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup full fat sour cream
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
Garnish and Serving Ideas (optional)
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced jalapeno
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a 12-inch oven-safe heavy sauté/deep pan over medium heat, then add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook an additional minute.
- To onion/garlic mixture, add beef, pork, salt, black pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, breaking the beef and pork into small pieces and stirring occasionally, until it's fully cooked through (the beef and pork should no longer be pink and be browned all the way through), about 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, stir to combine and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, along with black beans, corn, bell pepper, salsa, broth, sour cream, penne pasta and half of the cheese, stirring to combine.
- Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes until bubbly. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Serve and garnish to taste (if desired) with any of the garnish ideas. Enjoy!
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!