This Easy Pasta Bake takes about 15-20 minutes of prep and then you just throw in the oven until it’s bubbling and the cheese is browned. This one has all the delicious flavours of chili including black beans, beef, pork, tomatoes, cumin and cayenne with the addition of penne pasta. When it’s all baked, you just garnish as you like. It’s total comfort food and a recipe you’ll make again and again!
Hello! How’s it going? I know many of you living elsewhere are basking in the delightful weather that is spring. Well, poo-ey on you. Just kidding! But, for reals, the weather here sucks big time. Just the past few days we’ve had a tremendous amount of rain and more snow. So while many of you may have spring-time food on the brain and grilling things up, I’m still sitting here freezing my buns off and face planting into all the comfort food humanly possible. No, I’m not jealous #YesIAm.
Aside from this Chili Pasta Bake, hubby did most of the cooking this past weekend (check out my Instagram for proof of the yumminess). I got to sit back and watch the magic happen. There was one point where I was sprawled across two chairs, sitting at the kitchen island, painting my nails and drinking wine while watching him. A girl could get used to that, ya know. Who agrees? I’ll just assume you all nodded in approval.
How to Make Pasta Bake – an Easy Family Friendly Dinner
So, wanting to make myself half useful this weekend I did cook a little; I made this recipe because I couldn’t decide what to have for dinner. #StoryofmyLife. Do I want pasta ? Do I want chili? I kinda want it all (don’t all of us?). So, Chili Pasta Bake it is! What I absolutely love about this dish (besides the fact that it tastes amazing), is that everything is made in the one pot – no fuss and only one dish to clean. And if you are like me, one million spoons, right hubby?? So how to make a pasta bake? It’s easy –
- Saute onions and garlic
- Add ground beef, pork, spices and cook a little
- Stir in tomato paste
- Add remainder of ingredients (reserving some cheese)
- Top with remaining cheese and bake until bubbling and brown
Pretty easy, right? While that goodness is baking away and making your home smell delicious, you can sit back, have a drink and just get ready for the compliments your family will give you for making them this. Maybe then, they’ll wash the dishes. Sounds fair, doesn’t it?
I’ve been meaning to share this recipe with you guys for a while. Every time I would make it, I would dig into it before I would have a chance to take any pics. My bad. But better late than never, I say! Having posted a bunch of non meat recipes lately—> like this, this and this, I figured girl better get on the ball and post something for my meat loving friends!
How to Garnish this Easy Pasta Bake
You know me and my garnish. I LOVE it! It’s like, ‘excuse me, would you like some garnish for your dish?’ and I’m like, ‘no, I’ll have some dish with my garnish’, hehehe. Feel free, though, to use as little or as much as you like. What works well here?
- A good dollop of yogurt or sour cream
- Slices of avocado
- Green Onion
Other One Pot Recipes you May Enjoy
This would also be perfect for a get together if you are watching a game or something. Such a nice change up from chili!
And, I’ve also made this with veggie meat as well as ground turkey and both work wonderfully. Or, if you please, you can you all beef instead of the beef/pork combo. No judgement, all tasty.
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon!
P.S. If you think this Easy Pasta Bake will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little PIN button. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Chili Pasta Bake
Mexican Pasta Bake
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion -chopped
- 4 cloves garlic -minced
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp corinader
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes -optional
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 roma tomatoes -cut into bite-sized pieces, flesh only (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup black beans -about 1/2 can
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 bell pepper -chopped
- 2.5 cups salsa -your favourite
- 1.5 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream -full fat
- 2 cups penne pasta
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese -divided
- sour cream
- In a large pan (I used a 12 inch stainless steel pan) over medium heat add olive oil. Cook onion until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- To onion/garlic mixture add beef and pork along with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne and chili flakes (if using) and cook until meat/pork browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes (use a potato masher to crumble/break up meat). Add tomato paste and stir to combine and cook 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat on stove top and preheat oven to 375F.
- Add tomatoes to beef/pork mixture, along with, black beans, corn, bell pepper, salsa, stock, sour cream, pasta and half of cheese, stirring to combine. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes until bubbly. Broil on high for a couple minutes. Best to let cool for about 10 minutes before digging in. Portion and garnish as desired. Enjoy!