Looking for an easy dip recipe that you can whip up quickly? Try this chili cream cheese dip! Made in about 15 minutes, it’s savoury, creamy, cheesy and utterly decadent. Perfect for get-togethers, parties or simply a relaxing night at home.
I”m sharing a super easy cream cheese dip with you all today! I don’t know about you, but I’m always, always, down for some chips and dip. And I’ve made this chili cream cheese dip so many times already and never tire of it. It’s a pretty popular one around here (and for good reason!).
This dip recipe is beyond easy, and it’s so tasty. It’s just the kind of no fuss thing I want on Friday after a busy work week. And if I’m being honest here, I could legit make a meal out of chips and dip some days. You too?
I like to make a batch of this dip, throw on some cozy clothes, pin up my hair and get comfy for a jam-packed exciting night of tv, snacks and a glass of my favourite beverage. I know, riveting, right? What can I say, I lead an exciting life, LOL. And, you know what? I wouldn’t change a thing!
- Chili: You can use a homemade or store-bought chili. Because there are so few ingredients in this dip, just be mindful that whatever variety of chili you use will have an impact on the overall flavour of the dip.
- Cream cheese: I’ve made this dip with either regular or light cream cheese. Both versions work fine.
- Cayenne pepper: This is optional to add a little spice to the dip. You can substitute with a dash or two of your favourite hot sauce if you like.
- Cheddar cheese: Grate the cheese yourself (versus buying pre-shredded) for optimal cheesy meltiness.
- Garnish: Tomatoes and green onion add a pop of flavour and freshness to this dip. While totally optional, I do enjoy using them.
How to Make Chili Cream Cheese Dip
Here is an overview of how to make chili cream cheese dip (full details are in the recipe card below):
- Place chili, cream cheese and cayenne pepper (if using) in a frying pan.
- Heat through and as the mixture warms, break up the cream cheese, incorporating it into the chili so you have a nice well-combined mixture.
- Working in batches, stir in some shredded cheddar cheese.
- Transfer the dip to a serving dish and garnish with tomatoes and green onion.
What Flavour of Chili Should I Use?
Use your favourite variety! Just keep in mind that tomato-based chili recipes work best here over, say, white chili.
I’ve made this chili cream cheese dip with all sorts of flavours of chili. Some of my favourite varieties of to use in this dip are classic beef chili, turkey chili, chorizo chili, or three bean chili.
- Don’t have 2 cups of chili? Substitute some chili with your favourite chunky salsa.
- If you don’t homemade chili, use your favourite store-bought variety. Heck, I’ve even used chili from a favourite fast food restaurant. Use what you like, I say!
- If you want to add more heartiness to your dip, mix in some canned black beans (rinse and drain them first).
- I garnished the dip with tomatoes and green onion, but there are loads of possibilities. Some other delicious options are fresh or pickled jalapeno peppers, cilantro, queso cotija and red onion.
More Easy Dip Recipes
If you try this recipe for chili cream cheese dip, be sure to leave a comment below!
Chili Cream Cheese Dip
- 2 cups chili, use homemade or store-bought
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes, optional
- Place chili, cream cheese and cayenne pepper (if using) in a frying pan and place over medium-low heat.
- Cook and as it heats through, break the cream cheese up, incorporating it into the chili.
- Once the chili and cream cheese are nicely combined, stir in the shredded cheese, about ¼ cup at a time, until it's melted. Once each batch of cheese is melted, add more until it's all used.
- Transfer the dip to a serving dish and garnish, if desired, with green onion and tomatoes. Enjoy with your favourite tortilla or corn chips.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
© Girl Heart Food Inc. Photographs and content are copyright protected.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!