Creamy and savoury, this cheesy kale dip uses simple ingredients and is a cinch to put together. Once you give this cream cheese veggie dip a try, you’ll want to make it on repeat, it’s that delicious!
Our little veggie garden is in full swing and I couldn’t be happier! I adore leafy green veggies and kale happens to be one of my favourites (right along with baby spinach).
I’ve been using kale in all sorts of ways, especially in salads, and now in this cream cheese veggie dip.
If you’re a fan of spinach artichoke dip, chances are that you’ll enjoy this cheesy kale dip too (I know I do)!
Fan of cheesy dips? Check out this cheesy refried bean dip!
- Olive oil: For sautéing the kale.
- Kale: The star of this cheesy and creamy kale dip. This kale dip recipe uses about ¼ of a pound of fresh kale leaves. It may seem like a lot but it wilts down quite substantially once cooked.
- Cream cheese: Having your cream cheese softened helps it blend up nicely. You can use either a light or regular version for this dip.
- Mayonnaise: Loosens up the dip and adds a little tang. Feel free to substitute with sour cream.
- Lemon juice: Fresh lemon juice brightens the dip.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves adds delicious flavour that pairs well with the kale.
- Seasoning: Onion powder, salt and black pepper all add lots of flavour.
- Cheese: Cheddar cheese and feta both add flavour. The cheddar gets nice and melty once baked, while the feta adds a salty tang.
- Panko bread crumbs: Adds a little crunch and texture to the baked dip.
How To Make Cheesy Kale Dip
Here is an overview of how to make cheesy kale dip (full details are in the recipe card below):
- Sauté the kale in a little olive oil until wilted, then allow it to cool for a bit while you get the rest of your dip ready.
- Process cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic, onion powder, salt and black pepper in a food processor until nicely combined.
- Add the cooked kale, then use the Pulse feature to combine.
- Transfer the creamy dip to a baking dish.
- Top the dip with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled feta and panko bread crumbs.
- Bake until the kale dip has heated through, is nice and bubbly and the cheddar cheese has melted. Easy!
Can I Add More Kale?
Absolutely! I used about ¼ of a pound of kale in this recipe (weight before cooking), which equates to about 6 loosely-packed cups. If you have a kitchen scale (like me), then it certainly comes in handy for weighing your veggies.
If you want your dip to be more veggie-packed, you can certainly use up to another 3 to 4 cups of kale.
What To Serve With It
I love to serve this cheesy kale dip with tortilla chips, but other delicious options are crackers, pita bread, thick-cut potato chips, veggies (like carrot sticks or sliced bell pepper) or slices of toasted baguette.
Leftovers and Storing
Properly cover leftover dip and store in the refrigerator to enjoy within 3 to 4 days.
How to Reheat the Leftover Dip
Ensure the dip is in a microwave-safe dish and reheat on 30-second intervals until heated through.
This cheesy vegetable dip works well with sautéed swiss chard too! Simply substitute an equal amount of cooked swiss chard leaves for the kale.
More Delicious Dips
If you make this cheesy kale dip, be sure to leave a comment below!
Cheesy Kale Dip
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ pound chopped kale, about 6 cups of chopped kale
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt, depending on your tastes (plus a pinch for the kale)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus a pinch for the kale
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the chopped kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Allow to cool for a few minutes while you prepare the rest of the dip.Tip: If you want to speed up cook time, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to the pan, then cover with the pan lid.
- Add the cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic, onion powder, salt and black pepper to a food processor. Process until combined, stopping to scrape the processor, as necessary, with a rubber spatula.
- Add the kale to the cream cheese mixture and use the Pulse feature to incorporate.
- Transfer the dip to a small baking dish, then top with shredded cheddar cheese, feta and panko bread crumbs.Note: The baking dish I used was about 8-inch x 6-inch and had a 1-quart or about 4-cup capacity. Use something around that size.
- Bake the dip for 20 to 25 minutes or until it's heated through, bubbly and the cheddar cheese has melted.
- Once baked, allow the dip to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. It's delicious served with tortilla chips.
- When making this dip, I tend to use a combination of Redbor kale and standard green kale (or curly kale) because that’s what I usually have on hand. As it sits, the Redbor kale may colour the cream cheese a tad with its purple hue. It’s not a big deal, but you can use all standard green kale (curly kale) if you like.
- Feel free to substitute Swiss chard for the kale (or use a combination of them).
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
© Girl Heart Food Inc. Photographs and content are copyright protected.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!