A childhood favourite made from scratch, this homemade cheeseburger macaroni recipe is delicious, comforting and super easy to make right in the Instant Pot!
Hey friends, before I get onto this easy cheeseburger macaroni recipe I have to share a little story….
So I was gone from civilization earlier this week. Yep, Dawn was off the grid.
What did I do?
I left the house without my phone.
No phone for the entire day….also known as my idea of living on the wild side.
Ok, not really, but you don’t realize how much you rely, reach for or depend (not sure if that’s the right word) on something until you don’t have.
I was seriously catching myself throughout the day reaching for my phone with no phone to be had.
I felt naked.
Anyone else ever forget their phone and felt so lost?? Anywho, when I got my phone in my little hands again everything felt right. Ha! It was like that song Reunited. Lol!!
Truth be told, it was probably a good thing. We all spend too much time with our face in our phones anyway, don’t we 😉 ??
So, onto this delicious ground beef Instant Pot recipe, shall we?
Love macaroni recipes? Try this creamy stove-top mac and cheese!
Homemade Cheeseburger Macaroni Recipe
Know those boxed ‘Hamburger Helper‘ meals…the ones with the cute little hand character on the front of the package? Basically, you add a little meat and milk to the box mix and way to go.
I loved that growing up! Well, this is a homemade version, but better! There’s no powdered flavour packets and it tastes absolutely delicious!
How to Make this Recipe
Full details on how to make this homemade cheeseburger macaroni recipe are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics –
- In Instant Pot, cook onion and garlic in olive oil using the ‘Sauté’ setting.
- Add beef, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and tomato paste. Cook until meat is no longer pink and cooked through.
- Next goes broth and dried pasta.
- Cover and lock Instant Pot, set to ‘Seal’ and pressure cook on high for just 5 minutes
- Once time is up, carefully quick release pressure. Once pressure valve goes down, carefully unlock and stir in cheese, allowing it to melt and get all gooey and delish.
- If you opt to use crème fraîche, stir that in (or you could use sour cream).
- Enjoy (and try not to eat straight from the pot like me, lol).
Oh, and no judgement, but I sometimes have cheeseburger mac and cheese with ketchup. Some habits die hard.
If you’re feeling extra fancy, you could also garnish with some chopped parsley, green onion or chives. Use what you enjoy best!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
If you’re licking your screen right now, I understand…
What About Leftovers?
Properly stored in a covered container in the fridge, enjoy leftovers within 3 to 4 days.
How to Reheat Leftover Pasta
If you have leftovers, simply place in a non stick pan on medium heat, add the tiniest bit of beef broth (will vary depending on how much you are reheating, but start with 1/4 cup) and cover. Check on and stir.
Cook until leftovers have loosened and is heated through. Should only take minutes.
Can I Freeze?
Yes! Indeed you can! Portion cooled leftovers into vacuum sealed bags, seal, label and freeze. Or, place leftovers in a freezer safe container, cover and label. Thaw when ready to reheat and enjoy.
More Recipe Tips
This homemade hamburger helper recipe calls for one cup of shredded cheese. It’s kinda difficult to measure one cup of cheese because, like flour, for example, the quantity could vary depending on how well it’s stuffed into the cup…feel me? It works out to be about 4 oz or 120 grams or about 1/4 of a one pound block of cheese. If you like things extra cheesy, feel free to add more.
Speaking of cheese, I’ve made this with both cheddar and mozzarella (and sometimes a combo of the two). Just pick whatever you enjoy as long as it’s a good melting cheese. This is a great go-to guide for picking good melting cheeses.
Don’t have or prefer to use another type of protein? Try ground turkey or chicken.
Like things more spicy? Add more hot sauce or cayenne. Like less spicy? Omit or add less.
The sauce will thicken further as it stands.
Macaroni noodles were used here because it’s traditional for this recipe. However, if you’d rather try something else, use a similarly sized pasta.
Ensure you are familiar with the manufacturer recommended operating instructions and know how to properly/safely use your Instant Pot (or any kitchen appliance/device/tool you are using).
More Recipes You May Enjoy
- Crispy Chicken Burger – Breaded chicken bread is fried until golden brown and crispy and piled on a bun with lettuce, mayo and pickle. Every bite is so yummy!
- Cheesy Ground Beef Quesadillas – Cheesy, beefy and prepared in very little time, this delicious quesadilla recipe will surely be a family favorite!
- Ground Beef Stroganoff – A more budget friendly twist on a classic by using ground beef. This one is made in the Instant Pot and is so incredibly comforting.
Hope you love this cheeseburger macaroni recipe as much as we do!
Stay tuned for another tasty ground beef recipe coming your way shortly.
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
Make this easy cheeseburger mac and cheese recipe? That’s awesome! Love it if you left a comment below. Many thanks!
Cheeseburger Macaroni Recipe (in the Instant Pot)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion , peeled and diced small
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (use your favourite. I used Sriracha)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces dried macaroni noodles (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups unsalted beef stock
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese (about 1 cup or so or 120 grams or 1/4 pound (or try a combo of both))
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche (or full fat sour cream, optional)
- Turn Instant Pot to ‘Saute’ and use arrows to select 12 minutes.
- Add oil and when shimmering add onion and garlic. Stir and cook 2 minutes.
- Add beef, salt, pepper, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and tomato paste. Stir. Cook until beef no longer pink and cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- If timer is still on, cancel. Stir in pasta and stock. Cover and lock lid. Ensure vent is set to 'Seal'. Set Instant Pot to 'Pressure Cook' or 'Manual' (high setting) button (depending on which model you have). Use arrows to set 5 minutes (it will take roughly 5 minutes to come to pressure before the Instant Pot starts to count down the 5 minutes cook time). Once time is up, carefully quick release pressure. When valve goes down, unlock lid.
- Stir in cheese. Let sit 3 to 4 minutes until cheese melts. Stir in creme fraiche (if using). Portion and enjoy!
- This homemade hamburger helper recipe calls for one cup of shredded cheese. If you like things extra cheesy, feel free to add more.
- Don’t have or prefer to use another type of protein? Try ground turkey or chicken.
- Like things more spicy? Add more hot sauce or cayenne. Like less spicy? Omit or add less.
- The sauce will thicken further as it stands.
- Macaroni noodles were used here because it’s traditional for this recipe. However, if you’d rather try something else, use a similarly sized pasta.
- Nutrition information above is based on 4 smaller/side servings.
- Ensure you are familiar with the manufacturer recommended operating instructions and know how to properly/safely use your Instant Pot (or any kitchen appliance/device/tool you are using).