Looking for a super delicious Instant Pot® ground beef stroganoff? This is it! Savoury, creamy and ultra comforting, this easy ground beef stroganoff is loaded with meat, mushrooms and egg noodles. It’s like a hug in every bite and sure to be a family favourite!
You know how we love easy ground beef recipes around here (hello cheeseburger macaroni) and this hamburger stroganoff is no exception.
It’s seriously good.
Like, stick to ya ribs, make your taste buds happy, do a kitchen dance, good.
Savoury ground beef, meaty mushrooms, carb-licious egg noodles all coated in a lush sauce made with sour cream?
Yeah, that’s what’s up.
You’re gonna wanna make this one!
Ingredients for Ground Beef Stroganoff
Beef stroganoff is a popular comfort food recipe that originated in Russia and now it’s loved pretty much all over.
It’s basically a meat and noodle dish with sour cream. So, what ingredients go in stroganoff?
- Egg noodles
- Oil & butter
- Aromatics, like onion and garlic
- Seasonings like salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce
- Flour (to thicken)
- Beef broth/stock (for the sauce base)
- Sour cream (adds a lushness to the stroganoff and definitely a must, if you ask me)
Why Use Ground Beef?
Traditionally, stroganoff is made with a cut of beef (usually cubed), like sirloin or (for something extra special) beef tenderloin.
The benefit of making a ground beef stroganoff, though, is that it’s pretty budget friendly, cooks quickly and there’s absolutely no compromise in taste!
How to Make Ground Beef Stroganoff
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Heat some olive oil in your Instant Pot and add onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until onion has softened a tad.
- Next, cook mushrooms for a little.
- Add ground beef, salt and pepper. Break up with a wooden spoon and cook until no longer pink.
- Pour in Worcestershire sauce.
- From overhead, sprinkle in flour. Stir.
- Beef broth is added next.
- Stir in egg noodles. Cover and pressure cook.
- After cook time and steam has been released, carefully unlock lid.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Add parsley and stir in.
- Grab a ladle (or two).
- Portion into a dish and enjoy!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Can I Make This Gluten Free?
Ensure that your egg noodles are ‘gluten free’.
Also, use cornstarch instead of flour. As cornstarch is more potent, use half the amount of flour, so 1.5 tablespoons.
Mix cornstarch with an equal amount of fresh, cold water and stir into pot like you would with flour.
How Long Does This Beef Stroganoff Recipe Last
Properly stored in an airtight container in the fridge, enjoy within 2 to 4 days. Reheat upon enjoying.
Leftover stroganoff reheats wonderfully!
Of course (like with any leftover pasta) it will congeal as it cools, but when it hits the heat it will loosen up beautifully.
To reheat, simply pour a little beef broth into a non-stick pan over medium heat (amount of broth will vary depending on how much leftovers you are reheating), add leftovers, cover and cook about 10 minutes (stirring occasionally) or until it’s heated through.
Tip: It’s better to start with just a little broth because you don’t want to water down your leftovers. About 3 tablespoons is a good place to start.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
What to Serve with Beef Stroganoff
This is honestly a hearty meal all by itself, but if you want to make things even more substantial it’s yummy with any of these:
- Crusty bread (I love mine with a little olive oil and garlic)
- Simple green salad
- Steamed or sautéed green beans
- Sautéed red cabbage
More Tips & Variations
Mushroom stock or broth is a great alternative to beef broth.
Extra lean ground beef was used, but you would totally use a less lean variety. Just carefully drain any excess fat after the beef has been cooked.
Parsley is not necessary, but totally recommended because it adds some freshness and a pop of colour. Another herb option would be dill. A little finely chopped chives or green onion would be yummy too.
For extra savoury flavour, try adding a little Dijon mustard when you add the Worcestershire sauce.
Baby bella mushrooms were used, but you could use white button instead, if you like.
I recommend using full-fat sour cream in this stroganoff. It adds a lovely richness. If you prefer to use a lighter version, that’s a okay too.
More Ground Beef Recipes
- Homemade Meatballs
- Cheesy Ground Beef Quesadillas
- Italian Ground Beef Goulash Recipe from Hostess at Heart
Hope you love this easy Instant Pot ground beef stroganoff as much as we do!
If you make this ground beef stroganoff recipe, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed!
Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion , peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms , sliced (about 227 grams)
- 1 pound ground beef ('extra lean' or 'lean)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low sodium beef stock or broth
- 3 cups egg noodles (uncooked) (about 5 ounces)
- ⅓ cup sour cream (I used 'regular' or 5 % milk fat)
- ¼ cup parsley (optional, plus more for garnish)
- Set Instant Pot to 'Sauté'.Note: Settings may vary on your Instant Pot, depending on the model. Please refer to the manufacturer's guide on how to use your Instant Pot.
- Adjust the [+] or [-] button to set the timer to 25 minutes.
- Heat olive oil and butter in the Instant Pot. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is softened a little.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook, stirring every so often, for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add ground beef, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, and breaking up the beef as it cooks, 8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and cooked through.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce and sprinkle flour from over top. Stir in.
- Pour in beef stock and stir in egg noodles. If there is any time left on the timer, press 'Cancel'.
- Close and lock lid. Set the vent on the lid to 'Sealing' (steam valve in closed position). Ensure you follow the manufacturer's guide for closing and locking the lid.
- Next, select the 'Manual' or 'Pressure Cook' (default high setting) button (depending on which model you have). Adjust the [+] or [-] button to set the timer to 5 minutes (it will take 5 to 8 minutes or so for the Instant Pot to come to pressure before counting down the 5 minutes).
- After the pressure cook cycle is complete, follow the manufacturer's guide for Quick Release and wait until the Quick Release cycle is complete. Unlock and remove lid, being careful of any remaining steam (ensure you follow the manufacturer's guide for unlocking and removing the lid).
- Stir in sour cream. Stir in parsley (if using). Enjoy!Note: Enjoy immediately or properly store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy within 2 to 4 days, reheating when ready to enjoy.
- Mushroom stock or broth is a delicious alternative to beef broth.
- Extra lean ground beef was used, but you would totally use a less lean variety. Just carefully drain any excess fat after the beef has been cooked.
- Parsley is not necessary, but totally recommended because it adds some freshness and a pop of colour. Another herb option would be dill. A little finely chopped chives or green onion would be yummy too.
- For extra savoury flavour, try adding a little Dijon mustard when you add the Worcestershire sauce.
- Baby bella mushrooms were used, but you could use white button instead, if you like.
- I recommend using full-fat sour cream in this stroganoff. It adds a lovely richness. If you prefer to use a lighter version, that’s a okay too.
- Ensure you are familiar with the manufacturer recommended operating instructions and know how to properly/safely use your Instant Pot (or any kitchen appliance/device/tool you are using).
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.