Jam packed with berries this easy blueberry muffins are fluffy and delicious! They are topped with an orange pecan crumble for added oomph, texture and flavour. Such a great way to start your morning with a cup of tea or coffee!
*This recipe was originally posted in October, 2015, but has been updated.
Newfoundland Blueberries for Tasty Blueberry Muffins
These blueberry muffins with orange pecan crumble are not your average muffin, that’s for sure! They have local Newfoundland berries in ’em, which kinda makes them inherently wicked! I may be a little biased, but blueberries grown in Newfoundland are some of the best blueberries found anywhere! They are so sweet and concentrated in blueberry-ey flavour.
Around late summer/early fall, people typically go berry picking in Newfoundland. They are grown wild and you can fill buckets and buckets with these little gems. I recently got a bunch and couldn’t wait to bake with them. They are so much tinier than any mass-produced/grown ones you may find in the grocery store, but they make up for in their amazing flavour…like little candies! Of course, any blueberry would work great in this recipe, just pick up the best you can find!
Blueberry Muffins with Yogurt
The key to moist blueberry muffins? Yogurt! These muffins are super moist, particularly because of the yogurt in there…not to mention those juicy berries. Plus, the yogurt adds a little dose of protein. We go through so much Greek yogurt in our home. We eat the stuff as is and even in lieu of sour cream.
For these blueberry muffins, the pans are generously filled and they bake up beautifully with a nice little muffin top (the only muffin top that you want, am I right 😉 )?
These easy blueberry muffins are perfectly acceptable to eat in the morning with coffee or as a snack when that little 3 o’clock hunger bug strikes. They are moist and delicious all on their own, but adding the orange pecan crumble certainly kicks up the flavour a notch! Do you love to put butter on your muffins? While they are good and warm, I love to smear some butter on those babies. Hubby, on the other hand, enjoys his as is. How do you like yours?
Hope you enjoy these easy blueberry muffins as much as I do!
If you missed my last post, you can check it out here.
Don’t forget to subscribe below to have delicious recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon!
P.S. If you think these easy blueberry muffins with orange pecan crumble will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button down below. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Easy Blueberry Muffins with Orange Pecan Crumble
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt -fine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 2 eggs -I used large
- 2 cups blueberries -plus a few for the top of each muffin
- Pam Baking spray -for greasing liners
Orange Pecan Crumble
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 tbsp orange zest -about 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup pecans -roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter -cubed and cold
- pinch salt
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine. Lay to one side. Preheat oven to 400F. Place muffin liners in 12 unit muffin tin and spray with Pam. Lay to one side.
- In a stand mixer combine sugar and butter. Cream about 2-3 minutes until fluffy. Add vanilla and yogurt and mix until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, blending about 30 seconds for each egg until just incorporated.
- Place blueberries in a small bowl and take about 2-3 tbsp. of your flour mixture and spoon over berries, stirring gently to cover.
- Add remaining flour mixture to butter mixture in blender mixing until just incorporated. Very gently stir in blueberries. You may want to stir them in by hand with a spoon or spatula so they don't break too much.
- Using a standard round ice-cream scoop, divide mixture evenly among muffin liners. Top each with a few reserved blueberries (optional). Then, top with orange pecan crumble and bake on middle rack for 18-20 minutes, carefully rotating pan half way through.
- Let muffins cool in pan about 10 minutes before removing. Enjoy!
Orange Pecan Crumble
- Stir together oats, orange zest, pecans and brown sugar. Using a pastry cutter or two knives cut the butter into the dry ingredients until there are visible clumps.