Creamy, dreamy deliciousness, this mashed butternut squash and sweet potato recipe is easy to prepare, feeds a crowd and is so incredibly tasty! These squash mashed potatoes are sure to be a fall favourite!
With fall just around the corner, that means all kinds of comfort food and special meals, especially those involving winter squash.
I don’t know about you, but often I’m more excited about the side dishes than I am about the main dish.
I just love this combo! And if you do too, you’ll likely enjoy this butternut squash sweet potato soup.
Fun fact: even though butternut squash is savoury (and most often used in those types of dishes), it’s technically considered a fruit, not a vegetable? Neat huh?
Despite the technicalities, with the addition of sweet potato, this mashed squash recipe is what I would consider a super delicious veggie side that’s sure to disappear fast!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Not including salt, pepper and optional garnish, this veggie side dish is made with only 5 ingredients!
- It requires very little hands-on time. Most of the work is done by the oven.
- It feeds a crowd, so it’s great for big dinners.
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
How To Make This Mashed Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Recipe
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
Roast the butternut squash and sweet potatoes
- Carefully cut your butternut squash in half length-wise, scoop out those seeds, drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Scrub clean the sweet potatoes and prick a bunch of times with a knife.
- Turn butternut squash cut side down onto a prepared sheet pan and place sweet potatoes alongside.
- Roast the butternut squash and sweet potato until they’re cooked through and tender, then carefully remove from the oven.
Make the butternut squash and sweet potato mash
- Once the roasted butternut squash and sweet potato are cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and put into a large bowl.
- Give everything a little mash.
- Add seasoned melted butter.
- Mash again, then transfer to a serving dish and garnish (if desired). Time to serve and enjoy these easy butternut squash mashed potatoes!
Tips and Variations
- Want a super smooth consistency? Whip the mixture with a hand mixer.
- To keep things vegan, use vegan butter instead of regular.
- I garnished with chives and crispy sage leaves. Alternatively, you can use chopped green onion or parsley instead. Garnish is totally optional, of course.
More Delicious Vegetable Sides
If you make this mashed butternut squash and sweet potato recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Mashed Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato
- 3 pounds butternut squash
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch for roasting butternut squash
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus a pinch for roasting butternut squash
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ to 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice, depending on how pronounced you want the pumpkin spice flavour to be
- Chopped chives, green onion or parsley, garnish to taste (optional)
- Crispy sage leaves, garnish to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Carefully cut butternut squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. You can discard or reserve them for another use.
- Clean sweet potatoes, then prick them with a knife a bunch of times in preparation for baking.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Drizzle olive oil over each half of the butternut squash and sprinkle with a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Place the butternut squash cut side down onto the prepared sheet pan. Place sweet potatoes on there too.
- Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or so or until both butternut squash and sweet potatoes are tender all the way through when pierced with a knife. Note: If the butternut squash, for example, is cooked before the sweet potatoes, you can remove and continue cooking the sweet potatoes.
- Once everything is cooked, carefully remove from the oven and allow to cool until you can handle it.
- Once everything is cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh from the butternut squash. Cut potatoes in half and scoop out flesh. Place into a large bowl. Roughly mash. (You can discard the skins.)
- Melt butter in a saucepan on the stovetop or in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave until just melted and warmed through. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of black pepper and pumpkin spice, stirring to combine.
- Pour melted butter mixture over butternut squash and sweet potato and mash again. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish, if desired, with chopped chives and crispy sage leaves. Serve and enjoy!
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
© Girl Heart Food Inc. Photographs and content are copyright protected.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!