Creamy, dreamy deliciousness, this mashed butternut squash and sweet potato recipe is easy to prepare, feeds a crowd and is so incredibly tasty! These squash mashed potatoes are sure to be a fall favourite!
With fall just around the corner, that means all kinds of comfort food and special meals, especially those involving winter squash.
I don’t know about you, but often I’m more excited about the side dishes than I am about the main dish.
I just love this combo! And if you do too, you’ll likely enjoy this butternut squash sweet potato soup.
Fun fact: even though butternut squash is savoury (and most often used in those types of dishes), it’s technically considered a fruit, not a vegetable? Neat huh?
Despite the technicalities, with the addition of sweet potato, this mashed squash recipe is what I would consider a super delicious veggie side that’s sure to disappear fast!
Why We Love this Recipe
- Not including salt, pepper and optional garnish, this veggie side dish is made with only 5 ingredients!
- It requires very little hands-on time. Most of the work is done by the oven.
- Naturally gluten free
- Vegetarian, but can easily be made vegan with vegan butter
- It feeds a crowd, so great for big dinners
- Of course, it tastes delicious!
How to Make This Mashed Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Recipe
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Carefully cut your butternut squash in half length-wise, scoop out those seeds, drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Scrub clean the sweet potatoes and prick a bunch of times with a knife.
- Turn butternut squash cut side down onto a prepared baking sheet and place sweet potatoes alongside. Roast.
- When butternut squash and sweet potato are tender, carefully remove from the oven.
- Once butternut squash and sweet potato are cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and put into a large bowl.
- Give everything a little mash.
- Add seasoned melted butter.
- Mash again. Then, transfer to a serving dish, garnish (if desired), and enjoy these easy butternut squash mashed potatoes!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Recipe Tips & Variations
Want a super smooth consistency? Whip the mixture with a hand mixer.
To keep things vegan, opt for vegan butter instead of regular.
I garnished with chives and crispy sage leaves. Alternatively, you can use chopped green onion or parsley instead. Garnish is totally optional, of course.
More Delicious Vegetable Sides
Hope you love this mashed butternut squash sweet potato recipe as much as we do!
If you try this butternut squash sweet potato mash, please leave a comment below. Love to hear how you enjoyed the recipe!
Mashed Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato
- 3 pounds butternut squash
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus a pinch for roasting butternut squash)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (plus a pinch for roasting butternut squash
- ½ cup unsalted butter , melted
- ½ to 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice (depending on how pronounced you want the pumpkin spice flavour to be)
- Chopped chives, green onion or parsley (garnish, optional)
- Crispy sage leaves (garnish, optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Carefully cut butternut squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. You can discard or reserve them for another use.
- Clean sweet potatoes, then prick them with a knife a bunch of times in preparation for baking.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle olive oil over each half of the butternut squash and sprinkle with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Place cut side down onto prepared baking sheet. Place sweet potatoes on there too.
- Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour or so or until both butternut squash and sweet potatoes are tender all the way through when pierced with a knife. Note: If the butternut squash, for example, is cooked before the sweet potatoes, you can remove and continue cooking the sweet potatoes.
- Once everything is cooked, carefully remove from the oven and allow to cool until you can handle it.
- Once everything is cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh from the butternut squash. Cut potatoes in half and scoop out flesh. Place into a large bowl. Roughly mash.
- Melt butter in a saucepan on the stovetop or in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave until just melted and warmed through. Add salt, pepper and pumpkin spice, stirring to combine.
- Pour melted butter mixture over butternut squash and sweet potato and mash again. Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish, if desired, with chopped chives and crispy sage leaves. Enjoy!
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.