Looking for an easy bread pudding recipe? This Fruit Cake Bread Pudding can be put together in minutes and is a great way to jazz up leftover fruit cake! Dotted with white chocolate and sprinkled with pomegranate, it’s one delicious bite
Fruit cake gets a bad rap. You say ‘fruit cake to someone’ and they usually turn up their nose. I mean, I understand. When you think of fruit, you don’t usually tend to think of cake or vice versa. However, it’s so popular this time of year, especially here in Newfoundland. If you don’t enjoy fruit cake in it’s natural form, then this fruit cake bread pudding will surely turn your crank.
Easy Bread Pudding Recipe Using Leftover Fruit Cake
Every year my mother in law gives us a lovely dark fruit cake. For those who are unfamiliar with this version of fruit cake, it has molasses and lots of clove. It’s warming and delicious with ice-cream. However, the gifted cake is huge and it’s a lot for hubby and I. This fruit cake bread pudding is an easy, and delicious, way to use up some of that cake and enjoy it in a new and exciting form.
How to Make Bread Pudding
The preparation of this couldn’t be easier (but you knew I was going to say that, didn’t ya?) Nobody has time for fussy recipes during the busy holiday season so this one is perfect.
All you have to do is –
- Place cut up fruit cake in a skillet
- Pour over liquid mixture of milk, cream, eggs, vanilla and orange zest
- Press down so the cake soaks up the milk mixture
- Sprinkle with chocolate chunks and bake.
- Garnish with pomegranate and walnuts
- Easy, right?
This fruit cake bread pudding would be one delicious way to start Christmas morning. While it’s in the oven, sit back and sip on that first coffee (always the best one, may I add). Finish with a sprinkling of walnuts and pomegranate for freshness and pop and you’ve got yourself with yummy treat!
Hope you try out this easy bread pudding recipe! I’m sure it’ll change your mind about fruit cake for the better 😉
Thank you all SO MUCH for your support of me and my little food blog. It means the world to me to be able to chit chat with you, sharing recipes and stories from my every day life. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays. All the best to you and yours!
P.P.S. If you missed my last recipe, you can check it out here.
P.S. If you think this easy bread pudding recipe will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Fruit Cake Bread Pudding
- 5 cups dark fruit cake -loosely packed and cut into cubes (see note below)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs -I used large
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest -from one orange, roughly
- 2 oz white chocolate -roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts -roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp pomegranate arils
- Pam Baking spray -to grease skillet
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray skillet (I used an 8 inch skillet) with Pam. To skillet, add fruit cake. Note: If you don't have a small skillet, use a small casserole dish.
- In a bowl, add milk, cream, eggs, vanilla extract, and orange zest and whisk to combine.
- Pour over fruit cake and press fruit cake down to soak up some of the milk mixture.
- Sprinkle chocolate chunks over mixture. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven and garnish with walnuts and pomegranate arils. Enjoy as it or with ice-cream or whipped cream!