If you’re a fan of those orange chocolate balls and of hot chocolate, then this orange hot chocolate recipe is for you! It’s made with just four simple ingredients and is such a treat, especially on a cold day!
Those orange-shaped, orange-flavoured chocolate balls are a big part of my holiday season.
I don’t know what’s more fun — smashing the segments apart or eating it. Okay, obviously eating, but smashing it is definitely a fun way to unwind.
Just this past fall, hubby and I do what we call “hot chocolate Sunday.”
Basically, it means enjoying hot chocolate and watching a fun movie. Simple, but we always look forward to it. The little things, am I right?
Fan of hot chocolate? Try this classic hot chocolate recipe!
Why We Love This Orange Hot Chocolate Recipe
- It’s cozy and hot, perfect for a chilly winter day.
- The recipe is made with just 4 simple ingredients.
- This hot chocolate comes together in about 10 minutes.
- It tastes incredibly yummy!
How To Make This Recipe
Start by chopping up the orange chocolate. This will help it melt quicker in the milk.
Next, warm the milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. You don’t want things to boil here. You’re looking for the milk to get hot and just bubble around the edges.
Now it’s time to mix in your chopped orange chocolate with some orange extract (to really amp up that orange flavour) and pinch of salt. Give everything a whisk to combine.
There ya have it, delicious homemade orange hot chocolate! Of course, full details are in the recipe card below.
Pour into your favourite mug and enjoy as is or pile on some whipped cream and fun toppings. Either way, delicious!
Tips for Making This Recipe
- Use a heavy-bottomed saucepan for warming your milk.
- Slowly heat it the milk, you don’t want to boil it.
- There was no sugar added, but if you like things sweeter feel free to add more orange chocolate or some sugar to taste.
- This hot chocolate recipe yields 2 servings, but can easily be doubled.
More Holiday Recipes You May Enjoy
If you make this orange hot chocolate recipe, be sure to leave a comment below!
Orange Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 3 cups milk, whatever variety you enjoy best
- 4 ounces orange chocolate, chopped (about 113 grams or ¾ of an orange chocolate ball). Add more if you want things sweeter.
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- pinch salt
- Whipped cream, garnish to taste (optional)
- Chocolate candy, chocolate shavings or sprinkles, garnish to taste (optional)
- Pour milk into a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Warm through, stirring occasionally and watching that it doesn't boil over. It should bubble around the edges of the milk, but you don't want it to boil. This could take about 8 to 10 minutes or so.
- Stir in chopped chocolate, orange extract and salt and whisk until the chocolate is melted.
- Pour into mugs and garnish, if you like, with whipped cream, chocolate candy, chocolate shavings and/or sprinkles. Serve and enjoy!Note: If adding whipped cream, leave enough space at the top of your mug so it doesn't overflow.
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!