If you’re a fan of those orange chocolate balls and of hot chocolate, then this orange hot chocolate recipe is for you! It’s made with just four simple ingredients and is such a treat, especially on a cold day!
Those orange-shaped, orange-flavoured chocolate balls are a big part of my holiday season.
I don’t know what’s more fun — smashing the segments apart or eating it. Okay, obviously eating, but smashing it is definitely a fun way to unwind.
Just this past fall, hubby and I do what we call ‘hot chocolate Sunday.’
What’s that you ask? Just enjoying a mug of hot chocolate and watching a fun movie. Simple, but we always look forward to it. The little things, am I right?
Fan of hot chocolate? Try this classic hot chocolate recipe!
Why We Love Orange Hot Chocolate
- It’s cozy and hot, perfect for a chilly winter day
- Made with just 4 simple ingredients
- Comes together in about 10 minutes
- Tastes incredibly yummy
How to Make It
Start by chopping up the orange chocolate. This will help it melt quicker in the milk.
Then, warm the milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. You don’t want things to boil here. You’re looking for the milk to get hot and just bubble around the edges.
Now it’s time to mix in your chopped orange chocolate with some orange extract (to really amp up that orange flavour) and pinch of salt. Give everything a whisk to combine.
There ya have it, delicious homemade orange hot chocolate!
Pour into your favourite mug and enjoy as is or pile on some whipped cream and fun toppings. Either way, delicious!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Use a heavy-bottomed saucepan for warming your milk.
Speaking of milk, slowly heat it up; you don’t want to boil it.
There was no sugar added, but if you like things sweeter feel free to add more orange chocolate or some sugar to taste.
This hot chocolate recipe yields 2 servings, but can easily be doubled.
More Holiday Recipes You May Enjoy
Hope you love this homemade hot chocolate recipe as much as we do!
If you try this orange hot chocolate, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed!
Orange Hot Chocolate Recipe (just 4 ingredients)
- 3 cups milk (whatever you enjoy best)
- 4 ounces orange chocolate , chopped (about 117 grams or ¾ of an orange chocolate ball). Add more if you like things sweeter.
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- pinch salt
- Whipped cream , garnish (optional)
- Chocolate candy, chocolate shavings or sprinkles , garnish (optional)
- Pour milk into a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Warm through, stirring occasionally and watching that it doesn't boil over. It should bubble around the edges of the milk, but you don't want it to boil. This could take about 8 to 10 minutes or so.
- Stir in chopped chocolate, orange extract and salt and whisk until the chocolate is melted.
- Pour into mugs and garnish, if you like, with whipped cream, chocolate candy, chocolate shavings and/or sprinkles. Enjoy!Note: If adding whipped cream, leave enough space at the top of your mug so it doesn't overflow.
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.