In preparation of this recipe, I received free product samples from Barilla Canada. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make Girl Heart Food possible and for helping me to continue to do what I love – cook, eat and share delicious recipes.
This easy Chili Shrimp Pasta for One can be made as quickly as it takes the pasta to cook! Tender shrimp are cooked and tossed with sautéed kale and a spicy chili sauce. This one is a quick, no fuss dinner that hits the spot every time!
I don’t know about you, but I always feel like I never have enough time in the day to get everything that I want to get done, done. Ever see those people who seem to have everything organized? They seem to have their life together. Do you feel like that person? Me? Nope, I don’t. As much as I write lists and keep a planner (yes, a physical planner #OldSchool), I always feel like I have something else to do and the list is never ending. I don’t understand when people say they are ‘bored.’ There is always something to keep me occupied. You feel the same?
My mother gave me good advice. She said that it’s nonsense stressing yourself out trying to get everything done because there will always be more to do so take a minute and breathe. Makes sense when you think of it like that. Kind of puts things into perspective.
Despite running around like a crazy person half the time, I always make time to work out. Let me rephrase that – I have to make time to work out. Running a food blog, testing recipes, eating said recipes and just enjoying eating (and wine – duh) in general, there’s no way in this world that I can not work out. So suffice to say, I love easy, healthy dinners that can be prepared in little time so I can get on with my day, get that work out done and move on – feel me?
Cooking for One
This Chili Pasta is made under 15 minutes , it’s light and packed with protein, nutrients and flavour. It’s the perfect go-to meal before getting my butt on the treadmill for a run. In the past, I have tried gluten free foods and, honestly, I was not a fan. However, a little while back I tried Barilla’s Gluten Free pasta and I’ve been hooked ever since! Barilla has been around for over 140 years so they must know what they’re doing, right? That’s a looooong time!
Quick Dinner Recipe
This recipe comes together super quickly. While the pasta is cooking, whip up the ingredients for the sauce and cook the garlic, kale and shrimp. By the time the pasta is cooked to al dente, you just toss everything together and enjoy. I minced up a chili to give extra heat, but that is totally optional. Though, those chilies give the taste buds a wake up call 😉
Once every blue moon, hubby is not home for dinner or vice versa. That doesn’t mean I’m going to veg out on some cereal or take out. I want real food and real food, fast. The thing with cooking for one is ya don’t want to spend a whole lot of time at it so this recipe works perfectly.
Though there’s lime in the sauce, I love to squeeze with an extra bit to give it a little zing.
Cooking for a Family
This recipe for Chili Shrimp Pasta is for one but can easily be doubled or quadrupled according to how many people you want to serve. Just adjust the quantities accordingly.
This is not an overly saucy recipe. A quarter cup of the pasta water is added to the chili sauce mixture to add a little more liquidity to the dish, but you can add more if you like…or use some chicken stock. It’s good to have options 😉
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon!
P.S. If you missed my last recipe, you can check it out here.
P.P.S. If you think this Chili Pasta for One will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button down below. Many thanks, you guys. XO
Chili Shrimp Pasta for One
- 1 tbsp less sodium soya sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice -plus lime wedge for garnish, optional
- 1 tsp olive oil -divided
- 1 clove garlic -minced
- 1 red thai chili pepper -minced, optional
- 1 cup kale -thinly sliced
- 125 grams shrimp -I used about 8
- pinch black pepper
- 85 grams Barilla Gluten Free Fettuccine Pasta
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds -garnish
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook pasta per package instructions. Drain (reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water).
- While pasta is cooking, make sauce. Whisk together soya sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar and lime juice. Lay to one side.
- In a non stick pan on medium low heat add 1/2 tsp of olive oil. Cook garlic and chili for one minute. Add kale and cook two minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining 1/2 tsp of olive oil to pan and cook shrimp about 3 minutes, turning halfway. Remove from pan.
- Add sauce to pan along with 1/4 cup of pasta water. Cook 2 minutes. Toss with pasta and remainder of cooked ingredients. Place in bowl and garnish with sesame seeds and squeeze additional lime, if desired. Enjoy!