If you’re looking for a recipe that just screams summer, try this cantaloupe salad! Loaded with fruit, plenty of fresh herbs, jalapeno, grilled halloumi cheese and zesty lime juice, it’s absolutely delicious!
I’m always happy to be sharing a new recipe with you all, but even more so with this summer salad!
Cantaloupe salad with lime, lots of fresh herbs and grilled halloumi cheese? Oh yeah!
I’m completely obsessed with halloumi cheese (and pretty much any cheese, really).
Halloumi is brined with a high melting point (which means it’s great for grilling). It’s a little salty (kinda like feta), but not as crumbly. It has more of a curd-like texture, in my opinion. Whatever way you describe it, it’s simply yummy and I can’t resist devouring some as soon as it’s grilled.
If you’re a sweet and savoury fan (like me), chances are you’re gonna love this summer salad too. It’s super refreshing and delicious.
Yep, this one hits the spot and sure to be on rotation all summer long, just like my watermelon cucumber salad.
Why We Love This Cantaloupe Salad Recipe
- This refreshing fruit salad is made with less than 10 ingredients.
- It can be made in about 15 minutes.
- It’s loaded with delicious seasonal ingredients
- Of course, it tastes so yummy!
How to Make It
Full details are in the recipe card below but here are the basics:
Start by grilling your halloumi cheese. It usually comes in a block. To do this, cut the block of halloumi cheese in half so that you have two slabs. I use a 160-gram package, but if your package is slightly smaller (or larger), then it’s no big deal.
Heat up your grill.
Brush the halloumi cheese with a little oil, then grill on both sides just until it gets a little colour.
After grilling, allow it to cool slightly before cutting into cubes while you are prepping the other ingredients.
Allowing the cheese to cool a little will make it easier to cut. Plus, you don’t want to add the hot cheese and make your herbs wilt.
Tip: Don’t have a grill? Pan-fry the halloumi cheese instead.
After your cantaloupe is cut up (and the other ingredients are prepped), place everything in a bowl, mix, serve and enjoy!
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Can I Use Another Cheese?
Cubed or crumbled feta (use vegetarian or vegan, if needed) would work lovely in this salad.
Bocconcini would be another great (not as salty) option.
There is no need to grill these cheeses. Use as is.
More Recipe Tips & Variations
No salt was added to this salad. Halloumi cheese salty enough, in my opinion, and I honestly don’t think the salad needs it.
Even though this is a ‘cantaloupe’ salad, if you don’t have on hand, honey dew melon would be a great substitute.
Don’t need this salad to be vegetarian? Prosciutto pairs lovely with cantaloupe.
For a touch more spice, try Thai red chili pepper instead of jalapeno.
More Delicious Summer Salads
Hope you love this cantaloupe salad recipe as much as we do!
If you try this summer salad, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it!
Cantaloupe Salad (with grilled halloumi cheese)
- 5.5 ounces halloumi cheese (about 160 grams)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (approximately)
- 1 cantaloupe , scrubbed clean, ends cut off, peeled, seeds removed and discarded and cantaloupe cut into 1.5-inch large cubes (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries , green tops removed and cut in half
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 jalapeno , ribs and seeds removed and minced
- 2 limes , juiced (about 3 to 4 tablespoons)
- Carefully cut block of halloumi cheese in half lengthwise so you have two slabs (each slab about ½-inch thick). Brush with a little avocado oil to grease.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.Note: If you don't have a grill (or prefer not to use), you can cook the halloumi cheese in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Place the two halloumi cheese slabs onto the grill and cook for about 3 minutes per side or until it gets a little colour on the outside. Allow it to cool for a couple of minutes before cutting into cubes.
- Meanwhile, place cantaloupe, strawberries, mint, chives, jalapeno and lime juice in a large bowl.
- Add cubed halloumi cheese and stir to combine everything. Enjoy!Note: I like to enjoy this salad immediately, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoyed within 2 to 3 days.
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 Serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.