If you’re looking for a recipe that just screams summer, try this cantaloupe salad! Loaded with fruit, plenty of fresh herbs, jalapeno, grilled halloumi cheese and zesty lime juice, it’s absolutely delicious!
I’m always happy to be sharing a new recipe with you all, but even more so with this summer salad!
Cantaloupe salad with lime, lots of fresh herbs and grilled halloumi cheese? Oh yeah!
I’m completely obsessed with halloumi cheese (and pretty much any cheese, really).
Halloumi is brined with a high melting point (which means it’s great for grilling). It’s a little salty (kinda like feta), but not as crumbly. It has more of a curd-like texture, in my opinion. Whatever way you describe it, it’s simply yummy and I can’t resist devouring some as soon as it’s grilled.
If you’re a sweet and savoury fan (like me), chances are you’re gonna love this summer salad too. It’s super refreshing and delicious.
Yep, this one hits the spot and sure to be on rotation all summer long, just like my watermelon cucumber salad.
Why We Love Cantaloupe Salad
- Made with less than 10 ingredients
- Comes together in about 15 minutes
- Loaded with delicious seasonal ingredients
- It’s vegetarian and gluten free
- Tastes so delicious!
How to Make It
Full details are in the recipe card below but here are the basics:
Start by grilling your halloumi cheese. It usually comes in a block. To do this, cut the block of halloumi cheese in half so that you have two slabs. I use a 160-gram package, but if your package is slightly smaller (or larger), then it’s no big deal.
Heat up your grill.
Grease and grill your halloumi cheese slabs for about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
After grilling, allow it to cool slightly before cutting into cubes while you are prepping the other ingredients.
Allowing the cheese to cool a little will me it easier to cut. Plus, you don’t want to add the hot cheese and make your herbs wilt.
Tip: Don’t have a grill? Pan-fry the halloumi cheese instead.
After your other ingredients are prepped and tossed into a bowl, combine everything, serve and enjoy! This is a great guide on how to cut a cantaloupe.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Can I Use Another Cheese?
Cubed or crumbled feta (use vegetarian or vegan, if needed) would work lovely in this salad.
Bocconcini would be another great (not as salty) option.
There is no need to grill these cheeses. Use as is.
More Recipe Tips
No salt was added to this salad. Halloumi cheese salty enough, in my opinion, and I honestly don’t think the salad needs it.
Even though this is a ‘cantaloupe’ salad, if you don’t have on hand, honey dew melon would be a great substitute.
Don’t need this salad to be vegetarian? Prosciutto pairs lovely with cantaloupe.
For a touch more spice, try Thai red chili pepper instead of jalapeno.
More Delicious Summer Salads
Hope you love this cantaloupe salad recipe as much as we do!
Did you make this summer salad? That’s awesome! Love it if you leave a comment below. Many thanks!
Cantaloupe Salad (with grilled halloumi cheese)
- 5.5 ounces halloumi cheese (about a 160 gram package)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (approximately)
- 1 cantaloupe , scrubbed clean, ends cut off, peeled, seeds removed and discarded and cut into 1.5 inch large cubes (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries , green top removed and cut in half
- ½ cup fresh mint , chopped
- ¼ cup fresh chives , chopped
- 1 jalapeno , ribs and seeds removed and minced
- 2 limes , juiced
- Carefully cut block of halloumi cheese in half lengthwise so you have two slabs. Brush with a little oil to grease.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.Note: If you don't have a grill (or prefer not to use), you can cook the halloumi cheese in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Grill cheese for about 3 to 5 minutes per side until it gets a little colour on the outside. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into cubes.
- Meanwhile, place remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add cubed halloumi cheese and stir to combine everything. Enjoy!Note: I like to enjoy this salad immediately, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoyed within 2 to 3 days.
- No salt was added to this salad. Halloumi cheese salty enough, in my opinion, and I honestly don’t think the salad needs it.
- Even though this is a ‘cantaloupe’ salad, if you don’t have on hand, honeydew melon would be a great substitute.
- Don’t need this salad to be vegetarian? Prosciutto pairs lovely with cantaloupe.
- For a touch more spice, try Thai red chili pepper instead of jalapeno.
Nutrition (ESTIMATE ONLY)
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.