With ripe bananas, shredded carrots and pineapple all topped with a rich cream cheese frosting and chopped walnuts, this carrot cake banana bread is simply dreamy! So completely satisfying with your favourite cup of tea or coffee. It’s a quick bread recipe you’ll want to make again and again!
If you’re in need of a little sweet, have I got the thing for you!
Carrot cake meets banana bread in this super easy, moist and delicious carrot cake banana bread (with cream cheese frosting, may I add!)
I just love making flavoured banana bread. I mean, banana bread is delicious on its own, but it’s always fun to mix in other flavours. Why not, right?
This loaf cake or quick bread is not overly banana-y or overly sweet. What it is, though, is downright delicious.
And, if you’re like me (and my mother-in-law), you always have a few ‘beyond their prime’ bananas sitting on your counter.
My mother-in-law is particularly funny. She’s not a huge fan of eating bananas as they are, but always has to have them in her home. For guests, maybe? Or perhaps it’s for a yummy carrot banana cake, like this one.
Fan of carrot cake? Check out these carrot cake donuts!
Why We Love This Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Banana bread is a great way to use overripe bananas.
- This loaf is the best of both worlds: carrot cake and banana bread (no deciding which one to make).
- No big mixer is required to make the bread itself (just a couple of bowls).
- It’s prepped in about 10 minutes and the hardest part is waiting for it to bake.
- This carrot cake banana bread tastes incredible!
How To Make It
Full details are in the recipe card below, but here are the basics:
- Start by mixing your dry ingredients together in one bowl.
- In another bowl, mash your ripe bananas.
- To mashed bananas, mix in sugar, shredded carrots, oil, pineapple, yogurt, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Combine the flour mixture with your banana mixture.
- Pour into a prepared loaf pan.
- Bake, then let your loaf cool a little before removing from the pan and fully cooling on a cooling rack.
- Prepare your cream cheese frosting.
- Spread frosting over cooled bread and add some walnuts (if you like).
- Slice and enjoy!
Should I Refrigerate This Bread?
Because of the cream cheese frosting, store the loaf in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 2 to 3 days.
Do I Have To Use Frosting?
Not at all!
You can enjoy this carrot banana bread as is. It’ll still taste delicious.
The cream cheese frosting is just the icing on the cake or, um, banana bread.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
If you make this carrot cake banana bread, be sure to leave a comment below!
Carrot Cake Banana Bread Recipe
Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Baking spray, to grease loaf pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spoon into measuring cup and level off with a butter knife
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup mashed bananas, from about 2 small ripe bananas
- ¾ to 1 cup granulated sugar, depending on how sweet you want the bread (see "Notes" below)
- 1 ¼ cup shredded carrots, from about 2 carrots
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped canned pineapple (chopped into small cubes)
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting and Optional Garnish
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened (¾ of a 250 gram package)
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9-inch x 5-inch non-stick loaf pan with baking spray. Line loaf pan with parchment paper, allowing some to overhang over the sides (this makes the loaf easier to remove once baked). Spray parchment paper with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, mash bananas.
- To bananas, add sugar, shredded carrots, vegetable oil, pineapple, Greek yogurt, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well to combine.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour mixture) with wet ingredients (banana mixture), mixing until there's no dry flour left (but don't overmix).
- Pour banana bread mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden skewer or cake tester inserted in the centre of the bread comes out clean.Note: Because pans and ovens can vary, check on at the 55 minute mark. If it's not done, continue baking until it is.
- Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing and allowing to fully cool on a cooling rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Once the carrot cake banana bread is cool, make the cream cheese frosting. Combine cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and blend with a hand mixer (on medium-high speed) until combined and fluffy.
Frost the Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Spread the cream cheese frosting over the carrot cake banana bread and garnish with walnuts. Slice and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 2 to 3 days.
- I usually make this carrot cake banana bread with just ¾ cup of sugar and find that it’s just right for me and not too sweet. If you prefer things a little sweeter (but still not too sweet), use the full 1 cup of sugar.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?
If you do make this recipe, thank you!! It would mean so much if you could leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed it, and it helps other readers too!