Curry Coconut Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
This Curried Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup is one of my favourite recipes! It's easy to make, absolutely delicious and good for you. Plus, it's vegan and gluten free. It's flavoured with curry paste and coconut milk and then there's a touch of lemon squeezed at the end to brighten the whole thing. This one will warm ya right up on a cold day!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 tbsp coconut oil -or olive oil
- 1 onion -minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 piece ginger -thumb-sized piece, minced
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp curry paste or curry powder
- 6 carrots -peeled & cut into small slices, about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 sweet potato -peeled & cut into small pieces
- 3 cups vegetable stock -I used 'unsalted'
- 1 can coconut milk -reserve about a tablespoon for garnish (optional)
- 1 tbsp cilantro -garnish, optional
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pencil chili pepper -garnish, optional
In a small dutch oven or pot on medium low heat, add coconut oil and melt. To coconut oil add onion, salt and pepper and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
To onion add garlic and ginger and cook about 1 minute. Add chili flakes and curry paste, stirring to combine and cook 1 minute.
Add carrots, sweet potato and stock to pot. Bring to simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes. Add coconut milk (reserving about 1 tbsp., if desired for garnish (optional)). Cook, covered, an additional 10 minutes until carrot and sweet potato are fork tender.
Using an immersion blender, carefully blitz soup until smooth. Stir in lemon juice. Portion in bowls and garnish with reserved coconut milk, cilantro and chili, if using. Enjoy!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 323kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Sodium: 681mg | Potassium: 697mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 432.7% | Vitamin C: 35.8% | Calcium: 7.8% | Iron: 22.2%