Vegan Sloppy Joes
A twist on a classic, these Vegan Sloppy Joes will knock your socks off! Loaded with lentils, a soy based crumble and spices, this one pot comfort food meal will satisfy the hunger bug every time!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion -roughly minced
- 340 g soy based crumble (Veggie Ground Round)
- 19 oz can lentils -rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp dried organo
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Thai chili peppers -minced or 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegetable stock -or more, if desired
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 burger buns -variety of your choice
Optional Suggested Garnishes
- vegan cheese shreds -or regular if you want vegetarian
- hot peppers
In a non stick pan on medium heat add olive oil. Cook onion 3-5 minutes until translucent.
To onion add soy based crumble. Break up with a back of a wooden spoon. Cook 3-5 minutes.
To pan, add lentils and stir to combine. Add chili powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, oregano, salt, pepper, chili peppers (or cayenne) and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Cook 2-3 minutes.
Stir in stock (add more if you like your sloppy joes more 'loose').
Stir in balsamic vinegar. Serve on warmed/toasted buns. Garnish, if desired. Enjoy!
- If you can't find (or don't want to use) soy based crumble, use all lentils. So sub the crumble for about another 1.5 cups of lentils.
- This recipe can easily be made ahead and reheated when it's time to enjoy. You may just have to add a little stock to loosen to your desired consistency.
- I used Thai chili pepper here, but you could omit or replace with cayenne powder to taste (if that's what you have on hand).
- I used veggie stock in this recipe, but mushroom stock would work lovely too.
Calories: 432kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 996mg | Potassium: 1240mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 17.1% | Vitamin C: 13.2% | Calcium: 22.3% | Iron: 43%