Mixed Berry Chia Seed Jam
Got berries? Make this Mixed Berry Chia Seed Jam! It's made with blackberries, strawberries and blueberries. There's a touch of lemon to brighten and some maple syrup to sweeten. The whole lot is thickened with some fibre rich chia seeds. Homemade jam couldn't be easier!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 20 tbsp (1.25 cups)
- 1 cup strawberries -roughly chopped
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup -or more to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
On medium low heat in a heavy bottomed pot, combine all ingredients, except chia seeds. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5-8 minutes or until berries have broken down slightly. Stir so mixture doesn't stick or burn. Mash to desired consistency with potato masher or wooden spoon.
Add chia seeds and stir to combine. Cook 5 minutes more. Mixture will thicken a little more as it cools. Makes roughly 1.25 cups. Enjoy!
- Use a heavy bottomed pot! I love to break out my small-ish dutch oven. It's heavy so it's less likely that the berries will stick (aka burn).
- I used fresh berries here and that's what I recommend. You could use frozen berries, but the cook time will take a little longer as they will release excess moisture.
- Chop your strawberries a little before adding to pot so they break down a little easier (see photo below).
- Want your chia seed jam to be a little sweeter? Add more maple syrup to taste.
- Let this homemade jam cool! It will thicken more as it cools.
- Like your jam with a little more texture? Mash it less. Like it smoother? Mash it more. You do you!
Serving: 1tbsp | Calories: 21kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Potassium: 37mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 0.4% | Vitamin C: 8.7% | Calcium: 1.3% | Iron: 1%