Spicy Lentil Soup with Kale
This spicy lentil soup with kale is a hearty, delicious and budget friendly lentil soup recipe. Plus, it's made in one pot for easy clean up! It's like a little bowl of goodness for your tummy.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion -chopped
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 1-2 red thai chili peppers -minced (or to taste)
- 2 carrots -chopped, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery -chopped, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3/4 tsp dried herbs -mixture of oregano & thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 796 ml can whole tomatoes -blitzed with immersion blender
- 1/2 cup red lentils -rinsed & picked over
- 6 cups kale -leaves removed from steams & chopped int bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar -or apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese -grated (garnish, optional)
In a 5-6 quart dutch oven on medium heat add olive oil and sauté onion for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
Add garlic & chili peppers and cook about 1 minute.
Next, add carrots, celery, herbs, salt and pepper and cook about 5 minutes.
Add stock, can of tomatoes & lentils, bring to a medium simmer and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Next, add kale and cook for about 5-8 minutes.
Stir in balsamic vinegar.
Portion and garnish with parmesan cheese, if using. Enjoy!
Calories: 189kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 718mg | Potassium: 854mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 220.8% | Vitamin C: 117.4% | Calcium: 23.8% | Iron: 20.9%