Cranberry Orange Muffins with Chocolate Chips
Fresh cranberries, loads of freshly grated orange zest and dark chocolate chips make these Cranberry Orange Muffins irresistible. Plus, they take minutes to whip up, so you could be enjoying these in no time!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 18 minutes
Total Time 28 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter -softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar -packed
- 2 eggs -I used 'large'
- 1.5 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 tbsp orange zest -from 1-2 oranges
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips -plus some for the top before baking
- 1.5 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup buttermilk
- baking spray -to grease muffin pan
In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir to combine and lay to one side. Preheat oven to 400 F. Line muffin tin with liners and spray with baking spray. Lay to one side.
In a stand mixer (or using a bowl with a hand mixer) cream butter with sugar until combined and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
Add eggs (one at a time) to butter mixture, blending until just combined.
To mixer, add both extracts and orange zest and blend about 30 seconds.
Alternating between flour mixture and buttermilk (in two additions) add to mixer. Add chocolate chips and blend until just combined. FOLD in cranberries with a spatula.
Distribute mixture into prepared muffin tin. Top each muffin with a few extra chocolate chips. Bake 18-20 minutes or until wooden skewer comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes before enjoying.
- Fresh cranberries were used in these muffins, but dried would work in a pinch. Though, they won't have they same pop of tartness/freshness.
- Dark chocolate chips were used here, but milk chocolate chips would work lovely too.
- Don't have buttermilk? Make your own - it's easy (just milk with a little vinegar or lemon juice)! This is a great guide.
- When adding the cranberries, FOLD them in with a spatula. Don't use the mixer. That way, there's less chance of them breaking up and bleeding into the batter.
Calories: 275kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 249mg | Potassium: 233mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Vitamin C: 2.3mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 1.4mg