Kale Salad with Apple
This Kale Salad with Apple is made with a few simple ingredients in about 10 minutes. There's hearty kale, crisp apple, pumpkin seeds, cranberries, parmesan and onion all tossed in a buckwheat honey vinaigrette. So good!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 6 cups kale -cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup red onion -thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1 apple -variety of your choice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp buckwheat honey -or your fave
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Place all ingredients for vinaigrette in a small mason jar, cover, and shake to combine.
Place kale in a bowl and drizzle vinaigrette over top. Using your hands, rub in the vinaigrette (massage the kale leaves for a minute or so).
Toss kale with remainder of salad ingredients. Best covered and placed in the fridge for a couple hours (though, you can enjoy it right away).
- Cut the kale into bite-sized pieces or ribbons. Nobody want a huge piece of kale.
- Massage the vinaigrette into the chopped kale and allow it to sit in the fridge, covered, for a bit to allow it to break down slightly when mixed with the vinaigrette.
- If you want to make this kale salad vegan, simply replace the honey with maple syrup and omit the cheese.
- Granola as a garnish is highly recommended (I have to thank hubby for this idea).
- I used buckwheat honey for this honey lemon vinaigrette because it has such a rich 'molasses-like' flavour, but feel free to use whatever honey you have on hand, or even maple syrup.
- If you are making this salad ahead of time, toss the apples with a little lemon juice to minimize oxidation.
- Use whatever apple variety you like or have on hand.
Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 332mg | Potassium: 619mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 201.3% | Vitamin C: 153.4% | Calcium: 16% | Iron: 12.5%