Who doesn’t love a good dip, especially with a cold beer? This Spicy Bean and Turkey Dip is a definite crowd pleaser & it’s most certainly a dip that eats like a meal!
Summer is definitely waaay too short! Given that most of the cooking is done in the slow cooker, you can sit back and chillax while this dip does its thing for a short while. There’s a little prep and a lot of pay off! Now go out on the deck & have a couple of brewskies, or whatever cold beverage floats your boat 🙂 , & this deliciousness will be ready in no time at all!
Spicy-n-Creamy Bean & Turkey Dip
- 1 onion -chopped
- 2 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp corriander
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 block light cream cheese -cubed & softened
- 1 1/2 cup salsa -your fav
- 1/2 can black beans -rinsed & drained
- 1 package nacho cheese powder -I used Old El Paso brand
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup banana peppers -chopped
- 1 pencil chili pepper -or your fav, chopped (optional)
- 4 stalks green onion -chopped (3 for dip,1 for garnish)
- 4 tsp cilantro -chopped (reserve 1 tsp for garnish)
- 1/2 tomato -chopped (insides taken out)
- 1 lime -juice half for dip & half for garnish
- In a pan on the stovetop, fry onion & garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey, cumin, coriander, black pepper & salt. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until turkey is cooked through; then, add to slow cooker with cream cheese, salsa, beans, cheese powder, stock, peppers, 3 stalks of green onion & 3 tsp. of cilantro. Cook on high setting for about an hour & fifteen minutes.Next, stir up the dip & scrape sides of pot, breaking up any cubes of cream cheese that didn't completely break down. Cover and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Then, stir again, add juice of half a lime and stir to combine (reserve other half, cut into two wedges for garnish). Scoop up some dip into a serving bowl; garnish with 1 tsp. cilantro, remaining green onion, chopped tomato & lime wedges. Serve warm with your favourite corn chips. Enjoy!