Banana bread with oomph! That’s how I’d describe this Peanut Butter Banana Bread with Nutella. Is there anything more perfect than chocolate + peanut butter? And then go all Elvis-style with banana? Nope. Not around these parts. Prepped in about 10 minutes, the hardest part of this recipe is waiting for this baby to bake. Then go for it!
Nutella Banana Bread
There’s a Care Bear on my bed. More specifically the ‘Loves a Lot’ one. He is pink with hearts on his belly. There, I said it. Hubby gave it to me a couple Christmas’s ago upon my request. I have a soft spot for stuffed toys. I remember having a Care Bear when I was a kid, along with Strawberry Shortcake (my ultimate fave) and Rainbow Brite. These days I just have the bear on the bed and a little piggy and lamb on my dresser…..’cause piggy and lamb<—-say no more, right??
I have a HUGE cedar box that my father made me years ago loaded with toys. It’s under hubby’s work bench in the basement and I can’t get access to it, but desperately want to. I know there’s this birthday Hallmark bear that hubby gave me for my birthday (the first birthday we were together when I was 15).
Also on our bed is a super worn blankie that hubby had when he was a child. There are holes in it now and it’s just hanging on by a thread. Buuuuut, I swear, you put that thing over your eyes at night and you will sleep like a little baby. No lie.
Just recently, on one random Saturday, I was going out shopping and hadn’t been out for a long time just to leisurely look around. Then, thoughts of food starting dancing around in my head. I couldn’t get it off my brain. I wanted to go to the grocery store. I remember the days when I would spend hours going to the mall on Saturday just browsing. And now? Now I want to go to the grocery store. I also take a multi vitamin, need my sleep, make sure I exercise and eat right and wear sunscreen all.the.time. So, despite not feeling like it 99% of the time, I guess I am an adult, lol.
Anyway, you are probably wondering what toys & random thoughts of food have to do with this Nutella Banana Bread. Well, it’s all about nostalgia. I like my stuffed toys because it brings back memories of my childhood. Food can do that too, don’t you think? Plus, I just LOVE good eats #StoryofMyLife. Food has memories associated with it. Maybe it’s a specific time, or a particularly holiday that you only have something, but whenever you think if that specific thing it makes you happy. Banana Bread definitely puts a smile on my face and puts me in a comfort zone, even just for a few minutes, especially when I eat it straight from the oven. And just the smell going through the house as it bakes is heavenly!
Banana Bread with Nutella – a Fun Twist!
A banana bread was one of the first few recipes that I had posted on Girl Heart Food. This recipe here is not an updated version of that one; I would say that it is more of a slight twist and, boy, was I happy about it! And guess what? Today is National Banana Bread Day! So, in honor of happy memories and yummy banana bread, let’s get to it!
Basically, what we are dealing with here is an ooey, gooey, chocolatey layer of Nutella sandwiched between moist, rich banana bread. I mean, c’mon, right?!
Just look at it!!!!!! I swear, it took all that was in me not to drink that Nutella like freakin’ hot chocolate.
Now, just top with the remaining batter…..
And bake this baby for about one hour! And then you are left with –
I was wearing my infamous fancy pants on that particularly day so I just mixed about 1 tbsp. each of Nutella and Peanut Butter and drizzle over the top of this bad boy. The only thing that would make this better would be to have with a nice cold glass of milk….and maybe a second slice – just sayin’ 😉 You’re gonna love this one, you guys!
So, tell me, what was your favourite toy growing up? And what’s the one food that brings back happy memories?
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon 🙂
P.S. You can check out my last post here if you missed it!
P.P.S. If you think that this Peanut Butter Banana Bread with Nutella will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little PIN button. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Peanut Butter Banana Bread with Nutella
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter -at room temp
- 3/4 cup brown sugar -packed
- 1/2 cup peanut butter -I used natural
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs -I used large
- 3 ripe bananas -mashed well
- 1/2 cup Nutella -melted slightly. See below.
- Pam Baking spray -to grease pan
- Preheat oven to 325F. In a bowl combine flour, oats, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Stir to combine and lay to one side.
- In a stand mixer blend butter with sugar until smooth and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add peanut butter and blend an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract to stand mixer and blend until combined, 30 seconds or so. Add eggs, one at a time, until just incorporated. Add mashed banana to stand mixer and blend until combined, 1-2 minutes.
- Grease a loaf pan with Pam (I used a 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inch size). I also placed a strip of parchment paper in pan and sprayed with Pam and let it hang over sides (makes for easy loaf removal). Pour half of the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Top with Nutella and leave about 1/2 inch or so border around edge. Top with remaining batter and bake 60-65 minutes. Done when a there are no crumbs on wooden skewer when inserted into loaf. Let cool about 15 minutes before removing from pan. Enjoy!
- Note: If desired and totally optional, you can mix about 1 tbsp. of peanut butter with 1 tbsp. of Nutella and drizzle over top of loaf.