Fluffy, tart, sweet and delicious (and let’s not forget pretty) are all perfectly acceptable and fitting words to describe these Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, Raspberries and White Chocolate Drizzle . Quite a mouthful, wouldn’t you say? Every component is yummy on its own, but together they are the perfect bite and sure to put a big ol’ smile on your face.
Well hello there! How’s it going? I have some sweet (no pun intended – ok, maybe a little 😀 ) news for you guys! I’ve teamed up with some friends and fellow food bloggers and we are sharing some delicious goodies for you to enjoy on Valentine’s Day. There’s quite the line up and definitely something for everybody, but you’re probably going to want to try each and every one! Links to everyone’s recipe is at the bottom of this post, so please be sure to head on over to their site. Your belly will thank you!
What do you do on Valentine’s Day? Whether you are with your human sweetie, your bestie, your fur baby sweetie or rockin’ it solo, there’s always time for cupcakes, wouldn’t ya say?
Valentine’s Day holds a special place in the heart of both hubby and I. And, no, not because it’s the official ‘love’ day. It’s because it’s our fur baby’s birthday and, to me, that’s so much more important. I tell my hubby that I love him every day, but my fur baby’s birthday only comes around once a year and I have to spoil him<—–of course, he is actually spoiled ALL the time, but a little extra on his birthday. I remember the day we brought him home and he was on my lap and so tiny…just a little peck. Well, he is still not huge (about 17 pounds), but certainly much bigger now. He is my little buddy and I’m pretty much sure that we are addicted to each other #truth.
Hubby and I don’t want to leave the little guy alone on his birthday. We’ll probably cook something special at home (which is one of my favourite things to do, actually). Hubby does a deadly wicked job with homemade pasta and he makes a bolognese sauce that is out of this world good, so I may just have to put in a little request for that. And, I’ll contribute by making these Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, Raspberries and White Chocolate Drizzle 🙂 Sounds fair, doesn’t it?
The base of these cupcakes is flavoured with both lemon zest (love that stuff) and lemon extract for that extra punch of lemon flavour, so it really shines through. They are moist and the perfect base for a not-too-sweet cream cheese frosting. By the way, don’t look at this one below – it’s naked 😀 I couldn’t resist!
The Cream Cheese Frosting on these bad boys is spiked with a little triple sec, but that is completely optional (is it though??? Hehehe). You could totally substitute vanilla extract if you like. I’m not a fan of overly sweet things and this hits the spot perfectly. Just the other week, I made a dessert with a buttercream and it was sickly sweet. I’m taking sugar grit in your teeth sweet. Big dud. I think it was the combination of everything together and it was just way over the top. It was half decent, but almost inedible. In the trash they went. These cupcakes, on the other hand, are perfect. It doesn’t get much easier or tastier than this and such a classic treat, especially on Valentine’s Day.
I used fresh raspberries here, but other berries would work wonderfully too – think blackberries and strawberries or even a combination! And like most baked goodies, these are best enjoyed right away (as if you were gonna wait, right?)
Until next time, take care & chit chat again soon!
P.S. If you think that these Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, Raspberries and White Chocolate Drizzle will make your belly happy too, please be sure to PIN.
And, please don’t forget to check out the awesome sweets below from my friends and fellow food bloggers – they’re too good to miss!!
Many thanks, you guys! XO
Lemon Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, Raspberries and White Chocolate Drizzle
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 package cream cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1.5 tsp triple sec -optional, or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 lemons -zest only
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 2 eggs -I used large
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk - I used unsweetened
- Pam -for greasing liners
White Chocolate Drizzle
- 3 oz white chocolate
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1.5 cup fresh raspberries -approximately
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a mixer, combine cream cheese and butter and blend until smooth and combined. Slowly add icing sugar until smooth and incorporated. Add triple sec, if using, and blend until combined. Put into a piping bag and pipe around the outer edge of the top of each (cooled) cupcake.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and lemon zest. Stir to combine and lay to one side. Place cupcake liners in cupcake pan and spray with Pam baking spray. Lay to one side. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a mixer combine butter and sugar and mix to combine until smooth and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- To mixer, add vanilla and lemon extracts and stir to combine, about 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- With mixer on medium low, alternating with reserved flour mixture and vanilla almond milk, add to mixer until incorporated. Don't overmix.
- Distribute batter evenly among cupcake liners and bake for about 18 minutes until wooden skewer comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- Once cooled, pipe on Cream Cheese Frosting on outer edge of the top of each cupcake. Place 3-4 fresh raspberries in centre and drizzle with White Chocolate. Enjoy immediately!
White Chocolate Drizzle
- In a microwave safe bowl combine heavy cream and white chocolate. Melt in microwave on medium high for about 15 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until just melted. Let cool slightly for a minute or so before drizzling over cupcakes.
Nutrition (estimate only)