These Lamb & Kale Cannelloni with Butternut Squash Purée are dee-licious! Ground lamb is fried with shallot & onion, a little kale is added to the mix and then it is combined with creamy ricotta and wonderful fall spices like nutmeg and cinnamon. The mixture is then stuffed into cannelloni shells and covered with a simple butternut squash purée. Smells heavenly and tastes even better!
Hiya friends! What’s up? Do anything fun this past weekend? Eat anything good? Tell me 🙂 You may remember that I mentioned in a past post that we had tix to Jerry Seinfeld for September. Well, this past weekend was it! So we went out for dinner with my brother and sister-in-law to a local pub that brews their own beer, filled our bellies, and then headed to the show to have some laughs and laughed we did!
The opening act in and of itself was really good and Jerry (yeah, I’m on a first name basis, now, lol 😀 ) had some real gems in his content, especially his bit about marriage versus dating. He was so energetic on stage and, of course, he spoke in his classic tone<—-apparently that tone is not permitted in his home…yeah, there was a bit about that too. Upon finishing, the crowd stood up for him; it was just awesome. And you know if you are talking about lines from the show the next day, it must have been good 😉 It was our first time seeing him live and he did not disappoint!
So, I realized that I hadn’t shared a protein (aka meat) recipe with you guys in a long time and you guys may start to think chicka is vegetarian! That is definitely not the case. While I do regularly eat a lot of vegetarian and vegan meals & snacks as indicated by here, here and here, there’s definitely no lack of meat dishes in my diet. Plus, it’s freakin’ October!! Can you believe it? Fall calls for comfort food and these Lamb and Kale Cannelloni hits the spot ??
So for the ‘sauce’ or wet (that sounds weird, but mama is goin’ with it) component of these Lamb and Kale Cannelloni I made a Butternut Squash Purée. There’s a few steps to the recipe, but they are all really simple, trust me ?
I simply roasted a butternut squash and while that was doing its thing, I fried the lamb and kale; I let it cool for a few minutes and then mixed it with ricotta cheese and some spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Then, I stuffed the mixture into the pasta (with a backend of a spoon). Side note—>if someone could come up with some kind of mechanism to stuff those lil’ cannelloni shells, that would be brilliant.
After the squash was roasted, I just mixed with a bit of stock, cream and spices in a blender and poured it over the cannelloni and covered the whole lot of it with mozza and baked. Nothing to it, right? Little bit of prep, but each individual step is easy peasy and the payoff is super tasty. Plus, leftovers are even better the next day!
If you aren’t a fan of lamb, beef or turkey works wonderfully here too.
Anywho, you guys, hope you’ve enjoyed this Lamb & Kale Cannelloni with Butternut Squash Purée. Give it a go and you won’t be disappointed!
Until next time, take care & chit chat again soon 🙂
P.S. If you think this Lamb and Kale Cannelloni with Butternut Squash Puree will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little Pin button down below. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Lamb and Kale Cannelloni with Butternut Squash Purée
Lamb & Kale Cannelloni
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup walnuts -chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt -divided
- 1 tsp black pepper -divided
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 shallot -or small onion, minced
- 2 cups kale -leaves removed from steam & torn small
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb ground lamb
- 18 cannelloni -no boil ones
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese -shredded or torn
- basil -garnish (optional)
Butternut Squash Purée
- 1/2 butternut squash -you want about 2 cups puréed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt -divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper -divided
- 1 cup chicken stock -unsalted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- pinch garam masala -or pinch of each nutmeg,cinnamon & clove
Butternut Squash Purée
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Sprinkle squash with 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper and 1 tsp of olive oil. Place on parchment lined baking sheet cut side down and cook until tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly and scoop out.
- Place squash in blender along with remaining salt and pepper, stock, heavy cream and garam masala. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary, to taste.
Lamb & Kale Cannelloni
- In a large bowl combine ricotta, walnuts, egg, nutmeg, cinnamon, chili, and 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper. Lay to one side.
- In a cast iron pan on medium low, add olive oil. Cook shallot until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add lamb, remaining 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper and cook about 10-12 minutes until browned and cooked. Drain some fat. To this, add kale and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add lamb/kale mixture to ricotta mixture and stir to combine. Place about half of the squash sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Spread evenly. Using the back end of a fork or spoon fill cannelloni. Place in baking dish and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35-40 minutes on 350F. Carefully remove foil and broil for 3-5 minutes. Garnish with basil (optional) and serve immediately. Enjoy!