This Chocolate Zucchini Bread should be the start of every morning, don’t ya think? There’s loads of shredded zucchini in here and lots of chocolate to make for one moist, delicious bread perfect with that first cuppa coffee in the morning.
So, how did you fare with Halloween? Many leftover chocolate? My thinking with this Chocolate Zucchini Bread is that there’s zucchini in there (aka a vegetable) so it kinda makes things healthy or at least healthy-ish, lol. Oh, the little lies we tell ourselves. But is this absolutely fabulous? Totally!
Plus, it takes just minutes to whip up so a perfect recipe to share with you guys for a quickie Thursday before the weekend (just in case you want to enjoy on Saturday morning 😉 )
A while back I attempted a gluten free and vegan chocolate zucchini bread. It was an epic failure. I mean, I should have started small. Maybe just gluten free or just vegan, but both in one dessert recipe? Yeah, things didn’t turn out so well. I mean, the sucker just wouldn’t ‘bake’. It was like puddin’ and was definitely one hot mess. Please tell me you’ve encountered kitchen disasters? I’ll just consider it a learning experience. Though, when they do happen, I’m not that calm, lol. My world stops for a hot minute. Then, I’m over it and move on 😀
This Chocolate Zucchini Bread is not vegan, nor gluten free, but it is one awesome recipe that is sure to put a big ‘ol smile on yo face!
There is a whole lotta zucchini in this recipe and no moisture is ‘squeezed out.’ The mixture is quite dense when all the ingredients are combined, but as it bakes some of that moisture is released from the shredded zucchini and what you are left with is one moist loaf (and so much better than any leftover Halloween candy).
Before I go, I want to leave you with this random thought of the day – are ‘fun’ sized Halloween candy bars really fun? I mean, shouldn’t they be large? Where’s the fun in a lil’ piece of chocolate 😀 ?
If you make this chocolate zucchini bread, be sure to leave a comment below. Love to know how you enjoyed! Thank you!
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter , softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk chocolate , roughly chopped into chunks
- 4 cups shredded zucchini (unpeeled, about 4 cups)
- baking spray or butter (for greasing pan)
- Combine flour, oats, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and stir to combine. Lay to one side. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a stand mixer blend butter and sugar until smooth and combined, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract and blend about 30 seconds. Add eggs, one at a time, until just combined.
- On medium speed, slowly add flour mixture and blend about 1 to 2 minutes. Then, add chocolate and blend about 30 seconds to a minute. Add shredded zucchini and blend until combined, about 1 to 2 minutes. Mixture will be dense. The zucchini releases moisture when baked so this is ok.
- Place a piece of parchment paper in a loaf pan (I used a 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 inch pan). Spray with baking spray. Pour mixture into pan and smooth top with a spoon. Tap pan on counter to ensure it's level. Bake for about 60 to 65 minutes until wooden skewer comes on clean when inserted into the centre of the loaf. Keep in mind that there's chocolate in this bread so there may be chocolate on the skewer and that's ok.
- Let cool in pan for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and let cool on water rack for 15 to 20 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
Nutrition estimate (if provided) is based on 1 serving.
Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
A note on times provided: appliances vary, any prep and/or cook times provided are guidelines only.