These Chocolate Cupcakes with Bourbon Buttercream are loaded with chocolatey goodness! For the cupcakes, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and chocolate milk are used to create a moist, packed-full-of-chocolate flavour. Then, the whole thing is topped with a bourbon spiked buttercream. Can it get any better? I don’t think so! Plus, you can totally adapt for the kiddos by omitting the bourbon.
Hello guys! How are ya? How was your weekend? We had a pretty low-key weekend. Though, one of our favourite shows came back on for the season – ‘The Walking Dead.’ You know, that zombie show. You a fan? It ended off with a cliff hanger last season, so hubby and I were all amped up to watching it and seeing what happened. It did not disappoint. Speaking of zombies, I think I’m gonna dress up as one next weekend, just for a laugh. Though, being Monday and all, I kinda feel like a zombie, waking up and it still being dark, feeling all stupefied as I stumble out of bed. Bring on the coffee, am I right? Furry child has some costumes too. Yes, I said ‘some’. That boy probably has more clothes than me. Be prepared to see some pics of him soon 😉
Everyone is well aware that Halloween is only a week away from today. And you know what that means? Candy, sweets and desserts to the max and there’s nothing anyone can say ’bout it? Right? Right! Halloween is the one day a year where it is totally acceptable to go around all day with some sort of sugar laden treat in your piehole. It’s practically mandatory.
The kids get to go trick or treating and bring home oodles of chocolate, candy, chips and the like and what do we adults get? Maybe the scraps of what the kids don’t want, right? Well, we don’t have any human kids to
steal share candy, but I certainly know that was the case growing up. Upon coming home from trick or treating, my brother and I would spread all our goodies onto the floor and sort through them, organizing into categories. Would you do that? Our father would tease us and pretend that he wanted some. Then again, maybe he did?? Probably?
Anywho, he would typically be left with the stuff brother and I did not care for as much…maybe a box of raisins, and maybe some chocolate if we were feeling generous. Side note—>who gives raisins out on Halloween? Why don’t you just say ‘don’t bother coming here.’ You are just asking to have your house toilet papered. Just sayin’….
Have you ever seen the video of a prank Jimmy Kimmel called upon his audience to share? Basically, a couple years ago or so, he asked parents to send in videos of them telling their kids the next day that they ate all their candy. This was HILARIOUS. The video is here. Watch it if you want a little chuckle 😀
I digress…my point is that us adults don’t have to wait to get the scraps that kids don’t want. We can make our own treats and by spiking that buttercream, ain’t no way they are allowed to eat what’s ours…..hehehe? Seriously, though, you can totally omit the bourbon in the buttercream, but why? ‘WHY?’, I ask you. If you do, I may just have to reconsider our friendship, ya know 😉
For the cupcakes, there’s cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and chocolate milk. A chocolate trifecta, if you will. Then, like I said there’s that bourbon buttercream. Like, on its own buttercream is deadly because, well, butter. Duh. Then add a little splishy splash of bourbon…now you’re talking. I coloured the buttercream to make it a little festive, but honestly, if you wanna skip that step go for it! Knock yourself out<—not literally, k?
I was seriously debating on naming this post ‘Decorating for Dummies’, but I gotta give myself a little credit. For someone who is a little challenged in the decorating department, I think that turned out half decent. Plus, these cupcakes taste amazing and that’s what’s the most important, right?…or maybe that’s just the bourbon talking ??
Honestly, though, these are super easy to decorate. For the ‘basket’ cupcakes, I just put some buttercream in a piping bag and went around the edge of the cupcake a couple of times. Then, I used a wooden skewer to put a hole on each side so I could put the licorice ‘handle’ into and put some candy in the middle. The ‘worm’ and ‘pumpkin’ ones are just a matter of spooning and smoothing some buttercream on top of the cupcake, sprinkling with Oreo crumbs and topping with candy. There’s no rule book here, just have fun! P.S. Like the little face on the pumpkin?? Hubby did that for me. Thanks hubs?
If you make these Chocolate Cupcakes with Bourbon Buttercream, I’d love to hear!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon 🙂
P.S. If you think these Chocolate Cupcakes with Bourbon Buttercream will make your belly happy too, please be sure to hit that little PIN button down below to save for later. Many thanks, you guys! XO
Chocolate Cupcakes with Bourbon Buttercream
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips -I used semi sweet
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar -packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs -I used XL
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- Pam Baking spray -for greasing liners
Bourbon Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter -at room temperature
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp bourbon
- 1 tsp red food colouring
- 2.5 tsp yellow food colouring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- oreo crumbs
- pumpkin candy
- worm candy
- candy corn
- black liquorice strings
- Put cupcake liners in muffin tins. Spray with Pam. Lay to one side and preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, stir together dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
- In a stand mixer combine both sugars with butter and mix until fluffy and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low until combined. Next, add vanilla. Combine on low for another minute. On medium speed, alternating between flour mixture with chocolate milk, add to butter mixture until combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Distribute batter evenly into prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 16-18 minutes (check after 16 minutes) until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into cupcake. Remove from oven and let cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
Bourbon Buttercream Frosting
- Mix the food colouring together in a little dish. Lay to one side for a few minutes. Then, in a stand mixer combine combine butter and 1 cup of icing sugar. Mix on medium, gradually adding remainder of sugar until all incorporated. Add bourbon and food colour and mix until combined. This will all take about 3-5 minutes.
- First of all - have fun! For the 'basket cupcakes' - I put some buttercream into a piping bag and circled the outer area of the top of some cupcakes. Then, I made a hole on either side of the cupcake with a wooden skewer, so I could insert the black liquorice string for the 'handle' and put candy corn in the middle. For the worm and pumpkin cupcakes, just spoon and smooth some icing on cupcakes, sprinkle with some oreo crumbs and top with either worm candy or pumpkin candy. Enjoy!