If you’re looking for a recipe that just screams summer, try this cantaloupe salad! Loaded with fruit, plenty of fresh herbs, jalapeño, grilled halloumi cheese and zesty lime juice, it’s absolutely delicious!
I’m always happy to be sharing a new recipe with you all, but even more so with this summer salad!
Cantaloupe salad with lime, lots of fresh herbs and grilled halloumi cheese? Oh yeah!
I’m completely obsessed with halloumi cheese (and pretty much any cheese, really).
Halloumi is brined with a high melting point (which means it’s great for grilling. It’s a little salty (kinda like feta), but not as crumbly…it has more of a curd-like texture, in my opinion. Whatever way you describe it, it’s simply yummy and I can’t resist devouring some as soon as it’s grilled.
If you’re a sweet and savoury fan (like me), chance are you’re gonna love this summer salad too. It’s super refreshing and delicious.
Yep, this one hits the spot and sure to be on rotation all summer long, just like my watermelon cucumber salad.
Why We Love Cantaloupe Salad
- Made with less than 10 ingredients
- Comes together in about 15 minutes
- Loaded with delicious seasonal ingredients
- Gluten free
- Tastes so delicious!
How to Make It
Start by grilling your halloumi cheese. It usually comes in a block. Cut in in half so that you have two slabs. I used a 160 gram package, but if your package is slightly smaller (or larger), then it’s no big deal.
Heat a grill on about 400 degrees Fahrenheit and grease it.
Grill your halloumi cheese slabs about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
After grilling, allow it to cool slightly before cutting into cubes while you are prepping the other ingredients.
Allowing the cheese to cool a little will me it easier to cut. Plus, you don’t want to add the hot cheese and make your herbs wilt.
Tip: Don’t have a grill? Pan fry the halloumi cheese instead.
After your other ingredients are prepped and tossed into a bowl, combine everything, serve and enjoy!. This is a great guide on how to cut a cantaloupe.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter!
Can I Use Another Cheese?
Cubed or crumbled feta would work lovely in this salad.
Bocconcini would be another great (not as salty) option.
There is no need to grill these cheeses. Use as is.
More Recipe Tips
No salt was added to this salad. Halloumi cheese salty enough, in my opinion, and I honestly don’t think the salad needs it.
I like to make and enjoy this salad right away when it’s super fresh. However, leftovers can be stored, covered, in the fridge. Enjoy within 2 to 3 days.
Even though this is a ‘cantaloupe’ salad, if you don’t have on hand, honey dew melon would be a great substitute.
Don’t need these salad to be vegetarian? Prosciutto pairs lovely with cantaloupe.
For a touch more spice, try Thai red chili pepper instead of jalapeño.
More Summer Salads You May Enjoy
- Mixed Green Salad with Fruit – Enjoy as a side or dinner-sized salad. Packed with greens, berries, chicken and prosicutto and topped with a homemade poppy seed dressing.
- Creamy Greek Pasta Salad – This gluten free pasta salad is chock full of crunchy veggies, rotini pasta and olives are generously coated in a herbaceous yogurt dressing.
- Chunky Potato Salad – Baby potatoes, crispy bacon, pickle and cheese. So much flavour going on in this summer favourite.
Hope you love this cantaloupe salad recipe as much as we do!
Until next time, take care and chit chat again soon,
Make this summer salad? That’s awesome! Love it if you left a comment below. Many thanks!
Cantaloupe Salad (with grilled halloumi cheese)
- 160 gram package halloumi cheese
- vegetable or avocado oil (to grease grill)
- 1 cantaloupe , scrubbed clean, ends cut off, peeled, seeds removed/discarded and cut into 1.5 inch large cubes (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries , green top removed and cut in half
- 1/2 cup fresh mint , chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives , chopped
- 1 jalapeno , ribs and seeds removed and minced
- 2 limes , juiced
- Grease grill well and turn on medium heat. Cut block of halloumi cheese in half length-wise so you have two slabs.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grill cheese for about 3 to 5 minutes per side until it gets a little colour on the outside. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into cubes.Note: If you don't have a grill (or prefer not to use), you can pan fry the halloumi cheese.
- Meanwhile, place remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add cubed halloumi cheese and stir to combine everything. Serves 4 to 6. Enjoy!
- No salt was added to this salad. Halloumi cheese salty enough, in my opinion, and I honestly don’t think the salad needs it.
- I like to make and enjoy this salad right away when it’s super fresh. However, leftovers can be stored, covered, in the fridge. Enjoy within 2 to 3 days.
- Even though this is a ‘cantaloupe’ salad, if you don’t have on hand, honey dew melon would be a great substitute.
- Don’t need these salad to be vegetarian? Prosciutto pairs lovely with cantaloupe.
- For a touch more spice, try Thai red chili pepper instead of jalapeño.
- Nutrition information (estimate only) is based on 6 servings.