Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burgers with Arugula Lime Sauce
I love a traditional beef burger as much as the next person, but sometimes I want something a little different, a little lighter, and a bit more healthy. These Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burgers with Arugula-Lime Sauce are so tasty that you won’t even miss the meat! They are loaded with spices and are low in the fat department. If you omit the feta cheese, it would not only be vegetarian, but vegan. You can simply replace the feta with crumbled tofu or just omit all together and they would still be fantastic.
Of course, I’m sure you know by now that I am a big fan of beans, lentils and the like (check out my previous posts like Smoky Baked Black Beans, Lentil and Kale Soup and ‘Hard to Resist Seconds’ Baked Beans). Just because something is vegetarian or healthy doesn’t mean it can’t taste amazing. There’s easy ways to infuse flavour into your food with the addition of spices or herbs. Among a few other ingredients, these burgers have smoked paprika, cinnamon, walnuts and feta, along with a delicious sauce with arugula and lime. How can you beat that?
Those ingredients on their own are super tasty so to combine them in burger form makes for a definite delicious winner. Not to mention, these burgers also have sweet potato, which everyone knows is uber good for you. Sign me up! I love garnishes, too. For me, they are almost as important as the burger itself. The arugula-lime sauce is super arugulaly (making up my own words now 😉 ). If you are not a fan of peppery arugula, you can totally omit, Throw on some fresh tomato, avocado, thinly sliced red onion & spinach and the flavour smacks you in the face. YUM!
The recipe yields about 6-8 portions. They freeze super well, so you can have a batch made and ready to go when you are ready. Not to mention, they are awesome fried up in the cast iron pan with an egg on top for breakfast. What a wicked way to start your day!
Hubby loves these Black Bean Burgers as much as I do, so we make them pretty regularly in our household. Yippee! You should try making these burgers too and I bet they will be on your regular rotation of burgers you crave 🙂 !
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burgers with Arugula-Lime Sauce
- 2 cups arugula -loosely packed
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 lime -zest & juice
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burgers
- 1 sweet potato -yield about a cup
- 1 can black beans -rinsed & drained well
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp oregano
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1.5 tsp chili flakes
- 1 onion -minced
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil -plus more for cooking
- 1/2 cup feta cheese -crumbled
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 jarred roasted red pepper -about 1/3 cup,chopped, patted dry
- red onion -thinly sliced
- spinach or arugula
- hamburger buns
- In a mini food processor, add arugula, yogurt, mayo, salt, pepper and lime zest/juice. Process until combined. Reserve for later. Alternatively, if you do not have a food processor, you can chop the arugula finely and mix with remainder of ingredients.
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burgers
- Prick sweet potato with a knife 5-10 times and place in microwave on high for about 5-6 minutes until tender. Cut in half and let cool slightly (will scoop out later).
- In a food processor, add black beans, sweet potato, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, cinnamon, chili powder, oregano, oats, salt, pepper, chili flakes, onion, garlic, and olive oil. Pulse 8-10 times until mixture is combined. It's ok if there are some beans still whole for texture.
- Remove mixture from food processor and place in a large bowl. Add crumbled feta, walnuts and roasted red pepper. Stir to combine.
- Using about an ice-cream scoop and a half, scoop out mixture and form into patties. Place on some wax paper on a plate/board and place uncovered in fridge for about an hour or so.
- Remove from fridge. Using about a tsp of olive oil per burger (and cooking about 2 at a time), cook burgers on medium low in a cast iron pan for about 3 minutes per side. Serve on a warmed bun with arugula lime sauce and garnishes.