Hey everybody! How’s it going?
So this past weekend I discovered something that I was super excited about. I found out a way to clean our stainless steel appliances and have them look like new! What you ask?? Ok, ok. I know it’s not that exciting. Now, it’s not like finding a $20 bill in your jacket pocket or realizing you’re down 5 pounds, but it’s the little things, isn’t it? So, I was always kinda cautious of using any weird cleaners on the outside of our appliances. But it was getting on my nerves lately cause I would wipe the finger prints off the fridge and it would still look smudgy. I Googled ‘how to clean stainless steel appliances’ and found a video on David Suzuki’s site. Basically, you use olive oil, vinegar, a rag and elbow grease. Oil first, then vinegar (I used 3 different rags when I cleaned mine – one for olive oil, one for vinegar, and one for the final clean). Mind blown, I tells ya! I tried it on our dishwasher first ’cause I figured if it all went pear shaped (aka went to crap), then at least it wasn’t the fridge. Anyways, it took minimal time and was a complete success. Our appliances are that shiny you can almost see your face in there! Now, I’m spreading this little cleaning jewel like confetti, lol!! You’re welcome 😉
Before my little discovery, this past Sunday I went for a run on the treadmill. I was flicking through Netflix and saw that ‘Fuller House’ was on. It was released last Friday, apparently. Absolutely no intention whatsoever of watching this, buuuuut….what the heck, I figured; I’ll give it a go. I watched ‘Full House’ years ago, but wasn’t a die hard fan. So, I watched 2 episodes while I ran. Then, got a shower and decided to make these muffins. Throw something on tv, I thought, to have in the background while I’m in the kitchen. Anyways, long story short I loved the show and blew through the entire season that day. Yeap, complete marathon. Oh man, the old references. It was just an easy watching show with lots of laughs. It was so good. Have you watched? Now I can’t wait for season 2 🙂
So, enough with the chit chat and onto this delicious recipe; it’s what you came here for, right?! These Apple-n-Carrot Cinnamon Spiced Muffins with Almonds & Oats are one of the best muffin recipes I have ever made. Hands down. No kidding. I don’t joke about my food, people. They are loaded with healthy ingredients like flax seeds and chia seeds and are super moist from all the shredded apple, carrot and buttermilk. There’s a little concoction on top of each muffin of sliced almonds, oats, brown sugar & butter.
YUM! I don’t know about you, but I love a good muffin. But, I can’t bring myself to buy the ones in the coffee shops or even grocery stores because they are absolutely loaded with sugar and calories. Have you looked at those labels? Don’t. Seriously. Just walk right past and go home and make these. You wonder how could all that crap fit into something so tiny. But these muffins, in my opinion, are the bomb.com.
As I’ve said before I look at muffins like cupcakes less popular cousin. Don’t be fooled, though. Even though these babies aren’t loaded with frosting or aren’t super fancy (really selling it here, aren’t I?), they make up for in flavour. It’s totally acceptable to eat these for your breakfast and not feel guilty one bit. The recipe yields 12 (and I filled the liners up), but I’m really wishing I had doubled the batch. You are gonna love. Have a great week guys 🙂
Apple-n-Carrot Cinnamon Spiced Muffins with Almonds & Oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup multi grain flour -or whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut oil -or unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk -see note below
- 1 apple -peeled & shredded, about 1.25 cup
- 1 carrot -peeled & shredded, about 1 cup
- 3 tbsp oats
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter -melted
- Pam Baking spray -for greasing liners
- 12 muffin liners
- In a bowl stir together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, chia seeds, flax seeds and unsweetened shredded coconut. Lay to one side. Preheat oven to 400F.
- In stand mixer, blend coconut oil with sugar for a couple of minutes until combined and smooth. Add egg and blend to combine, about 30 seconds. Add vanilla and blend about 30 more seconds.
- Add half of flour mixture and half of buttermilk to coconut oil mixture in stand mixer, blending about 1 minute or so. Continue with remaining flour mixture and buttermilk mixture blending until just combined.
- Add carrot and apple to stand mixer and blend until just combined about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Line muffin tin with liners and spray with PAM baking spray. Equally distribute muffin mixture among them.
- In a small bowl combine oats, brown sugar, sliced almonds and unsalted butter. Mix to combine. Sprinkle evenly over muffins. Bake for 18 minutes. Let cool 10-15 minutes before removing from pan. You can let cool even more on wire rack if you wish.