Monthly Favourites August 2017

Monthly Favourites August 2017 - girlheartfood.com

~ Monthly Favourites August 2017 ~

Hi everyone!  What’s up?  How was your weekend? The weather was a bit sub par (raining) around here so it was a perfect time to stay home, catch up on odds and ends around the house and cook.  Actually, any weekend is a perfect time to cook if you ask me!  I was gifted with some gorgeous local chanterelle mushrooms from friends—> got home, the mushrooms were in a bag on my front step; you should have seen me! I literally did a happy dance.  The little things, right?  So, suffice to say, stay tuned for a recipe using those beauties.  August was such a busy month with lots of good eats; let’s have a little recap, shall we?

THINGS I’VE POSTED THIS MONTH

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp –  a super easy dessert perfect for entertaining and delicious with ice-cream (what isn’t 😉 )?

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp {gluten free) - girlheartfood.com

Ultimate Cheeseburger –  One of my favourite things to make (and eat) is a cheeseburger.  This one is loaded with cheese and a really good roasted garlic mayo (that stuff would probably taste good on just about anything).

Time to get the barbecue going for this delicious Ultimate Cheeseburger! - girlheartfood.com

Check out this video for the Ultimate Cheeseburger—>

Mint Chocolate Nice Cream – Kinda like your favourite ice-cream, but better for ya!  You can definitely go ahead and eat two, no three, scoops of this one 😉

Mint Chocolate Nice Cream (vegan, gluten free, dairy free) - girlheartfood.com

Creamy Orange & Vanilla Smoothie – This one tastes like a favourite childhood treat in a healthy smoothie form.  It’s a really good way to start your day.  Makes Monday a little more bearable too, 😀

Creamy Orange and Vanilla Smoothie {vegan, gluten free, naturally sweetened, dairy free} - girlheartfood.com

Mixed Nut & Seed Butter – Make your own nut and seed butter in under 15 minutes.  This has no weird ingredients, just good for ya stuff you can pronounce.  My kinda thing!

Mixed Nut and Seed Butter {vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free} - girlheartfood.com

RECIPES I’M LOVIN’ RIGHT NOW

Here’s a couple of recipes from friend and fellow food bloggers I’m loving and I know you will too!

Lamb Shawarma from Pinch and Swirl (pictured below and photo credit).  I love this recipe from Marissa!   She even makes her own pita bread for this one.  How awesome is that?

Lamb Shawarma - pinchandswirl.com

Peach Ale Breakfast Loaf with Honey Butter from Craft Beering (pictured below & photo credit).  Anyone who knows me knows that I love butter, especially when it’s directly on a warm loaf straight from the oven!   Who doesn’t, right?  I can practically smell this one through my computer screen 🙂

Peach Ale Breafast Loaf with Honey Butter - craftbeering.com

TV SHOWS/MOVIES

Atomic Blonde featuring Charlize Theron.  I mentioned previously that hubby and I were going to see this one and, of course, we did! It’s an action packed spy movie.  Aside from the dark filter that was on the movie the whole time, I absolutely loved it.  The action scenes were out of this world good!

Ozark on Netflix – A friend and fellow food blogger, Cheyanne, referred me to this show.  It features Jason Bateman and it gives me all sorts of Breaking Bad vibes.

Atypical on Netflix. It’s about an 18 year old boy on the autism spectrum.  It’s such a sweet and funny show, really heartwarming.

MUSIC

As you probably know, I’m always on the lookout for new songs to add to my playlist.  I play the heck out of songs that rock my boat until I’ve had enough; why do I do that to myself?  Do you play songs you enjoy over and over again until you tire of them too?   I’m really enjoying these right now –

There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back by Shawn Mendes

Praying by Kesha.  That chick is back with a new song and I must say that it’s quite different from what I’m used to hearing from her.  I actually really enjoy it!  What do you think?

Strip That Down by Liam Payne featuring Quavo

RANDOM

Remember I told you I would be sharing some pics from our staycation vacation?  Well, without further adieu here are some—>

We visited Cape Spear, a national historic site, and it’s also the most easterly part of Canada and North America!  It happened to be a gorgeous day when we visited and you could even see whales in the distance doing their thing.

Monthly Favourites August 2017 - girlheartfood.com

What a view, right??

Monthly Favourites August 2017 - girlheartfood.com

The Pitcher Plant is the official flower of our province, Newfoundland –

Monthly Favourites August 2017 - girlheartfood.com

Hubby and I took fur baby, Riley, and he LOVED it!!  I was wondering how he would behave and he enjoyed it so much.  We packed a picnic and even one for Riley.  I thought for sure that it would be pointless in taking food for him cause he would be too distracted, but nope.  We laid out our blanket and hubby gave him a drink of water and feed him his food and he just sat there between us chillin’.

Monthly Favourites August 2017 - girlheartfood.com

Hope you’ve enjoyed my Monthly Favourites August 2017!  What has been your favourites this past month?

Have an awesome week and take in all the good sites like this little guy!

Monthly Favourites August 2017 - girlheartfood.com

Oh, and before I forget, stay tuned for later this week.  I’m bringing you a round-up of Ultimate Weekend Eats & Drinks so you’re going to want to check that one out before the upcoming long weekend 🙂

P.S. If you want to check out my last Monthly Favourites, you can check it out here.

38 thoughts on “Monthly Favourites August 2017

1. Miriam says:

Can’t believe it is already the end of August – time is flying! Would love a glass of your creamy orange & vanilla smoothie right now. Cape Spear looks stunning and how cute that you have packed a picnic for Riley 🙂 I have seen Atypical on Netflix and was wondering whether it is a good show, will definitely give it a try! Have a fantastic weekend, Dawn!
    Miriam recently posted…Summer Round-up 2017My Profile

2. Nicoletta @sugarlovespices says:

Wow, I can’t believe another month is almost over… Since we came back, last week, here the weather has been incredible. Sunny and warm, doesn’t look like Fall is coming anytime soon (fingers crossed). Love all your recipes, especially the sweet ones (I now, I have a sweet tooth!): the strawberry rhubarb crisp and the nut and seed butter are my favorites!! Beautiful pics of your staycation, your dog is adorable!
    Nicoletta @sugarlovespices recently posted…Fave e Cicoria (and a beautiful day in Matera)My Profile

3. Kevin | Keviniscooking says:

Sometimes staycations are the best, especially if the four legged fur babies get to go too! Sometimes I travel and think I live where people take vacations – how lucky am I to come home! 🙂
    Aside from your delish treats, Atomic Blonde is on our list to see. Charlize is amazing. We have one more episode of Ozark and might I add that Paranoid is a great new British Netflix pick of ours, too (besides Bloodline and The Killing). Thanks for another great monthly favorites Dawn!

Another delicious month my friend! And wow if all staycations looked liked that, how lovely! Eeek I cannot believe it’s September this week. Ah well, it was good while it lasted 🙂 We love Ozark. We finished the series in a day and a half lol! (Yes we need help haha). Have a great day!

5. Marissa says:

I always look forward to your monthly favs post, Dawn! And, wow! Thank you so much for the Lamb Shawarma shout out – wish I could have you and your fella over and I’d make them for you myself. 🙂

So sweet that your little fur baby loved your staycation too. Awesome photos – you truly picked a perfect day.

I thought of you last night when we watched Stranger Than Fiction for like the 10th time, thinking I wonder if Dawn has seen this? If not, put it on your list it’s a quirky fun rom com with heart.

Have a wonderful week! xoxo
    Marissa recently posted…Easy Dill Lovers Refrigerator PicklesMy Profile

Thank you Marissa! Sweet of you! We would love that 🙂 Hmmmm….sounds familiar, but not sure if we did. I’ll definitely look for it when we’re looking for a show to watch. If you like it, I’m pretty sure I would too; we have similar tastes in shows from what I can tell 😉 Have a wonderful week too! XOXO

6. Milena | Craft Beering says:

You live in paradise (or a close contender) Dawn! I’m melting at the coastal views in these pictures. Beautiful! This month flew by way too fast and if it were not for Oktoberfest being around the corner I’d feel so sad about summer’s end. Thank you for the nod on the Peach Ale loaf:) This morning finished the leftover honey butter with some banana bread…Barre and yoga sculpting classes this week – here I come !
    Milena | Craft Beering recently posted…IPA Piña ColadaMy Profile

7. Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen says:

Somehow I never realize it’s the end of the month until I see your favorites post! HOWHOWHOW is it almost September? And how do I ask the same question every single month? The pics from your staycation are so beautiful! If it looked like that around here I’d probably never leave. And ooohh I have SUCH a crush on Jason Bateman. I’m checking out Ozark tonight 🙂 Have a great week, my dear!

I love your monthly roundups, Dawn! Not only do I get a quick reminder of all your delicious recipes, but I find out new shows, too. We’ve been on the Ozark train lately, too, and it’s a good one! I’ve heard the comparisons to Breaking Bad, and I can totally see that. Also, that photo at the bottom with Riley? Amazing! Hope your week ahead is a great one! 🙂
    David @ Spiced recently posted…Raspberry Black Pepper TrufflesMy Profile

I love when I can find all your gorgeous recipes in one easy-to-find location! 😉 This was a fabulous month for GHF! Not that that’s any different from every other month! Loving the photos of Riley! Especially the one from behind where I can imagine his happiness in that moment…staring out at the waters between his two favorite people in all the world! Have a great week, my friend! XOXO

10. Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary says:

I LOVE the pics of your stay-cation, especially that pic of lil Riley! SO sweeeeeet! <3 You had a SUPER tasty month, Dawn! Normally there is one thing that really stands out as a 'OMG, I must try this first', but in this case I want them all. AT ONCE! All the yum, please! 😉 And yaaas, Ozark does have that breaking bad feeling!! So glad I could suggest a good show! Woot woot! Cheers, my dear!
    P.s. YES, every weekend is perfect for cooking! <3 XOXO
    Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary recently posted…Margarita Fajita Chicken Kebabs {with pineapple aioli}My Profile

It’s definitely the little things in life that make me the happiest, too! Looks like you had a wonderful month of food, Dawn! I’m dying to try that mint chocolate nice cream. I’ve heard of how good Ozark is, so I will have to check that one out! i’m on the hunt for more shows. Love your staycation pictures, and of course, your sweet fur baby! Happy Monday to you, friend!