Monthly Favourites for June 2017

Monthly Favourites for June 2017 - girlheartfood.com

~ MONTHLY FAVOURITES for JUNE 2017 ~

Hey friends!  What’s up?  This Monthly Favourites for June 2017 is coming a tad later this month; we just had a big celebratory weekend this past one for Canada Day and I was enjoying a little rest & relaxation.  No matter, though, better late than never, right?  There was lots on the go this past month so plenty to talk about.  Grab a coffee and let’s get to it!

THINGS I’VE POSTED THIS MONTH

Easy Black Bean Dip

This one is made in under 10 minutes so perfect for Friday night eats!

Easy Black Bean Dip (vegetarian, gluten free) - girlheartfood.comUltimate Caesar Cocktail

A Canadian classic – spicy, refreshing and a snack built right in!

Ultimate Caesar Cocktail - girlheartfood.com

No Bake Granola Bars

A fantastic recipe to make at the start of the week and enjoy throughout.  Plus, they are vegan and gluten free!

No Bake Granola Bars {vegan, gluten free} - girlheartfood.com

Baked Camembert with Berries, Thyme and Wine

Oozy, melty cheese…say no more, am I right?  I could make a meal out of just this.  P.S. this one is super easy to whip up when you have unexpected guests you want to impress 🙂

Baked Camembert with Berries, Thyme and Wine - girlheartfood.com

Recipes to Celebrate Canada Day

A round up of recipes from myself and fellow food blogger friends – these delicious recipes are pretty much awesome any time of year.  Personal fave?  Poutine!

Recipes to Celebrate Canada Day (Happy 150th Birthday Canada) - girlheartfood.com + more

Triple Berry Ice Pops

Minutes to prep, the hardest part is waiting for them to freeze.  These pop are loaded with berries!

These homemade Triple Berry Ice Pops are a delicious summer treat! - girlheartfood.com {refined sugar free, gluten free}

RECIPES I’M LOVIN’

Here are a couple of fab recipes from friends and fellow food bloggers that I am diggin’ right  now😋

Classic New England Lobster Roll from Tasty Ever After (pictured below & photo credit) – this is a quintessential summer dish, if you ask me.  And Miss Karrie knows her way around seafood.  This one is deeeee-licious!!  Better not forget those chips, tho.  They are a lobster rolls bff.

Classic New England Lobster Roll - tastyeverafter.com

Sicilian Tomato Pesto Trapanese from Sugar Love Spices (pictured below & photo credit) – I haven’t met a pesto I didn’t like; so delicious on pasta, sandwiches, fish and chicken.  Pesto, is there anything you can’t do??  Love this tomato based one.  Such a lovely twist from the classic basil based pesto.

Sicilian Tomato Pesto Trapanese - sugarlovespices.com

TV SHOWS/MOVIES

The F Word with Gordon Ramsay on Fox – love this show!  I am a total fan of Gordon Ramsay and this reality show delivers!  Basically, the premise is that each episode there are two groups of people featured (usually each group is a family or a bunch of friends, and they make the same dish and serve to guests).  Gordon (cause we are totally on a first name basis 😉 #AsIf) shows how a dish is prepared – for instance, just think about how to cook a proper pork chop with a delicious pan sauce.  Don’t miss this one!

Master Chef with Gordon Ramsay on Fox (told ya I like Gordon Ramsay (P.S. How many times can I say Gordon Ramsay in this post??)).  If you haven’t seen this series before, it’s basically home cooks competing against each other to win in a series of cooking competitions. It seriously amazes me how awesome some of these people are.  Would you ever try out for such a show?  I think I would be sooooo nervous and watching that timer count down?  I’d be a wreck!

Scandal with Kerry Washington on ABC.  Though, I am watching this on Netflix cause I am so late to this party.  Now I’m wondering what the heck I’ve been missing!  Like, seriously, how good is this show?  One thing good about being late to this party is I get to binge watch on Netflix without commercials #TheLittleThings.

I briefly mentioned this one before, but I’m obsessed with Love Connection on Fox.  It’s a remake of the show from years ago and hosted by Andy Cohen; so, for those of you who don’t know, it’s a dating show.  I totally shouldn’t watch it, but can’t turn away.  Usually, I save it for the weekend.  I think for the most part it’s more about drama or shock factor than any love connection, but it’s  a good show if you want to have a chuckle and sit back with a glass of wine – basically, me on Friday🍷😏

We just went to see Baby Driver in theatre.  It’s basically about a young getaway driver who loves music (I won’t spill too many beans), there’s tons of action and even a little romance.  What more could you want?  Sometimes, it’s completely over the top, but it will definitely keep you on your toes.  I bet the soundtrack will be awesome too!

MUSIC

As you probably know, I’m a big fan of music (who isn’t, right??)  I usually play songs so much until I tire of them.  These three are pretty much on repeat these days🎵

‘Bad Liar’ by Selena Gomez – great song and cute video (she plays multiple parts).

‘Despacito‘ by Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee (featuring Justin Bieber).  I love the vibe to this song and pretty much sing along every single time.  Also, I want to learn Spanish every time I pretend to know what I’m saying when I sing along.

“Slow Hands’ by Niall Horan.  This is a groovy (do people really say that now?) song.  It took me a little to warm up to this one and now I love it!

What’s on your playlist nowadays? Do tell!  I need some new songs to listen to!

RANDOM

Our rhubarb is reading for the pickin’ (finally) so I will be making something with that real soon.  Did you know that rhubarb is, in fact, a vegetable and the actual leaves on the rhubarb plant are poisonous😱!  But the edible part?  That stuff is yummy, especially when paired with strawberry🍓
Do you guys grow anything in your garden?  What works well where  you live?

I started making foodie videos🎥!  Woot woot!  It’s quite the little time sucker, but it’s a good thing I have hubby to help me.  Plus, it’s fun having a little buddy 🙂  Here are the three videos if you’d like to check out again –

Hope you’ve enjoyed my Monthly Favourites for June 2017!

What were your favourites from this past month?  I’d love to hear!

Enjoy the upcoming weekend! May it be food-filled and relaxing👍  I know that this little guy will be having a good time, getting into lots of mischief tearing out the stuffing in his toys🐶

Monthly Favourites for June 2017 - girlheartfood.com

Until next time, take care & chit chat again soon💗

P.S. If you missed my last monthly favourites, you can check it out here.

34 thoughts on “Monthly Favourites for June 2017

1. Nicoletta @sugarlovespices says:

Better late than never, that’s right! I was trying to choose which recipe of your June posts I liked better and I had a hard time…they all so good! (maybe the no-bake granola bars and the baked camembert? 😉 ). Thank you so much for including us in the roundup and for mentioning our Sicilian pesto. Let’s chit chat soon! In the meantime, have a wonderful weekend! 🙂
    Nicoletta @sugarlovespices recently posted…Zucchini, Almond & Mint PestoMy Profile

2. Amanda (Peppers & Pennies) says:

I didn’t realize you had ventured into videos! BRB gonna go binge everything you created! Seriously, way to go!

Also that black bean dip is just what I need this weekend. I wonder if I can sneak it past my husband? Heehee

Another delicious and wonderful month my friend! I keep going back to that Caesar. Must. Make. Me. One (or two). We are obsessed with Gordon Ramsay too! We own lots of his books and did you see that episode where he made the home cooks make scrambled eggs? Right after I tried to make some and behold, I did it haha. Who knew?? 🙂 I love that song by Niall Horan. I also can’t get Wild Thoughts (DJ Khaled feat Rihanna) out of my head. Here’s to more amazing summer days!

Yay! Thanks Jolina! YES! We did see that episode and did make those eggs! How good were they? Like, seriously, the best ever, right?? They tasted so creamy! Cheers to a great weekend!

4. Marissa says:

You have the most thoughtful favorites posts, Dawn! I always pick up a few things that I want to cook, shows and movies I want to see and I always learn a thing or two – so thank you!

If I remember correctly, you liked the first season of Master of None. If I’m right about that, you have to check out season two. Keith and I were in hysterics with the ninth episode – totally hilarious!

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!
    Marissa recently posted…S’mores BrowniesMy Profile

Awww- thanks Marissa! That’s so sweet 🙂 Yes, we actually blew through both seasons and when we finished the second one realized that it only just came out so now we have to wait for quite some time for season 3 (ugh). Awesome show, though!! We love it! Have a wonderful weekend too 🙂

5. Milena | Craft Beering says:

It was a delicious month, Dawn! I’m still voting for the Caesar cocktail as my favorite even though it’s not easy to choose:). I was wondering how Zelda’s going for you – my little one is getting into the game (trainer version for kids) and I thought of you. I’m not even going to say what I’ve been binge watching lately, will save it for a post:)
    Looking forward to that rhubarb to make an appearance – I’ve never cooked with rhubarb. Ever 😳Have no clue. So I need to pick up some skills. Until then will keep eating my store bought strawberry rhubarb yogurt:)

Thanks Milena! I knew you’d like that one 😉 Zelda? I haven’t played in a bit because summer, but I’m also in a tougher spot in the game (I guess I’m not the best gamer, lol, but it still is fun). I’ll have to do a rhubarb post soon for sure so you’ll have a recipe to try 😉 Looking forward to hearing about what show you’re watching – I’m definitely curious now!

6. Miriam - londonkitchendiaries.com says:

What a lovely roundup for June. Would love one of your ice pops right now – it is unbearably hot in London right now! How interesting that rhubarb is a vegetable – I did not know that but I know that I love rhubarb cake 🙂 There is nothing ripe in my garden at the moment but I am looking forward to my plums a little later this year and the delicious things that I have planned to make with them. Your food videos are amazing – so much fun to watch them, very therapeutic indeed and I can’t believe you have just started doing them, they look so professional! Have a lovely weekend, Dawn!
    Miriam – londonkitchendiaries.com recently posted…Comment on The Retreat Kitchen – Richmond’s New Vegan Café! by MiriamMy Profile

Thank you Miriam! Oh, plums? Yum! I’m sure you’ll make something delicious with that 😉 You’re very sweet! Appreciate the kind words, my friend! Have a wonderful weekend 🙂

7. Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen says:

Your fur baby looks so much like mine with the stuffing scattered everywhere. She destroys toys as fast as I can bring them home for her :). They’re just the best aren’t they? I’m SOOOOO glad you discovered Scandal. I found it on Netflix I think after season 3 and it took me like three days to binge watch the whole thing. I was that obsessed. It’s so freaking good! Have a great weekend Dawn!

Crazy, isn’t it? But so funny to watch them rip it out. We usually try to guess how long it will take, lol 😀 Yes! That show is awesome – I’m trying to pace myself, but it’s kinda hard 😉 Have a great weekend too, Kelsie!

8. Shashi at Savory Spin says:

Dawn, you sure had a month of EPIC eats and rockin fod videos – you inspired me to try and get at least one video done by the end of August (crazy busy here as we are in college-bound prep mode)!
    I need to add the F word to my to-watch list – my daughter and I just finished 8 seasons of Dexter (ever watched that?) and we are out of shows currently…
    Onto gardening – I used to grow tomatoes, zucchini, peppers and asparagus – but this year I didn’t grow anything but I am looking forward to the concoctions you come up with, with that rhubarb!
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend! xo

Woo hoo! Thanks Shashi! Can’t wait to see your video now 🙂 ! YES! We have watched Dexter! So entertaining! Would love to grow some tomatoes too, but we’d need to have a greenhouse around here cause it’s a tad too cold. Have an awesome weekend! XO

A wealth of happiness from your posts! A wealth of happiness! I just have to say – your videos are quite the viewing pleasure, my friend! You and Hubby know the deal!! Thanks for sharing that sweet pic of your pup! Too, too cute! Here’s to a wonderful July, my friend!! XOXO
    annie@ciaochowbambina recently posted…Antipasto Pasta Salad (Video)My Profile

I can’t believe June went by so fast! This summer is flying by, as usual, and I wish time would slow down just a bit. Looks like you had a delicious month! Those berry pops would really come in handy today because it’s going to be around 95 out…yikes! And your fur baby…SO adorable! 🙂 I have yet to see the remake of Love Connection, so I need to remember! Sounds perfect for enjoying with .a glass of wine. Happy Thursday and almost weekend to you, friend!

Awww, your pup looks so proud of himself with the stuffing pulled out all over the place! I know that scene quite well! 🙂 Good for you for taking some time to relax around Canada Day. You’ve had some amazing posts this month, so that break is definitely well deserved! Also, I totally, 100% echo your thoughts on binge watching. We finally caught up on Better Call Saul, so now we are watching it on AMC (well, DVR’d from AMC)…and we’re losing interest since we have to wait a whole week in between each episode! Funny how that works. I hope you guys have an amazing weekend up there, my friend! Oh, and interesting tip about rhubarb. I didn’t realize that it is poisonous…well, partially. Thanks!
    David @ Spiced recently posted…Goat Cheese and Chive Stuffed Piquante PeppersMy Profile

Totally proud 🙂 It’s so funny watching him play (and quite entertaining, lol). I know what you mean too about having to wait a WHOLE week to watch another episode! Spoiled when binge watching, right 😉 ? Thanks so much, David!