General Tso Chicken with Sesame Roasted Broccoli
I don’t know who General Tso is, but I can tell you one thing – he makes some damn good chicken! This recipe for General Tso Chicken with Sesame Roasted Broccoli is take-out fake-out. No, no, that’s not fair ’cause you know it’s better than take-out because it’s homemade and homemade is always the best. No argument there, is there?
Well, hello there everyone! How ya doing? As many of you know, the other week I had a cold, so obviously, I didn’t get my regular exercise regime in. Unfortunate, but it was kinda nice to take a break for a week or so and, plus, the way I look at it is when I get back into it (hopefully this week), I’ll be that more energized and motivated! I try to mix it up every now and then so my bod doesn’t get used to the routine and plateau. I once tried a 30 day squat challenge, which was really good. Great for dem legs and the bum, lol. What do you guys like to do to stay fit? Love to hear any suggestions!
So, I was thinking the other day at how many wonderful people I have met from blogging. You guys know who you are! It has been seriously awesome and I have enjoyed chatting with each and every one of you! That got me to thinking that maybe it would be fun to share some factoids with everyone about my quirky little self –
- I once tried to be a vegetarian when I was in my teens. It didn’t last, but I think I could give it a good go now ’cause I LOVES me some vegetarian food indicated by here, here and here.
- I have a gold tooth. What, you ask?! Yes, I do. It’s waaay back there, but I had to get a crown from a damaged tooth from grinding my teeth too much while sleeping and gold is supposed to last longer. Straight up cool, yo #notreally
- I will literally get sick and my stomach is turned if I find egg shells in an omelet, scrambled eggs, you get the picture. So gross. I can’t even.
- I have a slight
addictionlove for makeup, clothes, home décor and scented candles< I have way too muchnot enough candles.
- I once went for a walk in a country setting, saw a couple of husky dogs and thought they were wolves. I then proceeded to lie in the road ’cause I thought I was a goner. I would never outrun them, would I? Thought maybe if I played dead, they’d just leave me alone. The dogs’ owner showed up and I was so embarrassed. Never live that one down. You can laugh now, lol.
- I love vinegar, like a lot. However, on fries I only like vinegar on fries with gravy, not plain fries.
- Speaking of fries, it annoys me when restaurants call fries ‘frites’. Like, come on, it’s fries, dude. Nothing fancy, just good ol’ fries.
- Years ago, playing around with my then boyfriend, now husband, I accidentally kicked him straight in the throat with a round kick. Oops!!
- I used to not like guacamole, cilantro & coconut water (what?? I know!) and now I can’t get enough of either.
- I can’t use chop sticks! Crazy, isn’t it? I’ve honestly given it a go, but no luck. Hubby can use them perfectly. I have to use a fork. I know. I know. Even if we go to a restaurant and they have chop sticks, I have to ask for a fork. I have to work on that, don’t I? So, confession, if you see chop sticks in a picture, it is then followed by a fork for moi!
Alas, onto the General Tso Chicken with Sesame Roasted Broccoli sans chopsticks. Honestly, though, it doesn’t matter if you have chopsticks, a fork, or use your freaking fingers, you’re gonna what to stuff your face with this recipe! For the General Tso Chicken component, it’s basically lightly breaded & wok fried chicken pieces with a tangy-n-spicy sauce. Some versions of General Tso chicken have a big sweet component, but not this one. I love salty and sweet combos, but I tend to lean a little more on the salty/tangy side than sweet. There is just a touch of sweetness in this recipe; I’m sweet enough 😉 Just kiddin’!
The crispy, juicy and perfectly browned chicken is then combined with bell peppers and onions and served on noodles (or rice, if you prefer). The whole thing is garnished with green onion & sesame seeds. We go through green onion in our home like you wouldn’t believe. The longest part of making this recipe is cooking the chicken, but after that it is no time at all. And, honestly, that is not even that long.
Totally optional, but recommend, is this simple Sesame Roasted Broccoli; the broccoli is toasted in a little mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and the like and then roasted for about 10 minutes or so. Simple, right?
I would have loved to have those little Chinese take-out containers for this recipe. You know those? You always see people eating out of them on tv shows, using the chop sticks. In my head, I think that the food tastes better in those little boxes. They’re just so adorable. Those containers are not hugely popular around here, though I think I did see some at Michael’s craft store…..maybe next time 🙂
Hope you guys have a great week! Feel free to leave any fun factoids about yourselves in the comments below. I’d love to hear! Chit chat again soon!